Which balsa kit would you recommend please?

J

jimlard

Hello, I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this question has already been asked a lot of times, I did look in the search to try and find my answer, but to no avail.

I haven't done any modelling for a lot of years now and am interested in making balsa rubber powered WW1 and WW2 planes. I am not sure what kit making companies are out there and which would be the best to go for. I would love to make either a SE5a or an Albatross DV, these two planes really stir childhood memories (and not because I was born before the First world war, i'm not that old :smiling3: ) If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate your help, many thanks.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum.

Guillows do excellent balsa kits. i don't know if they make the ones you are after.

I do know that Keil Kraft made the SE5A. There is a 1/12 Guillows SE5A on ebay at the minute.

Try going on line for balsa aircraft kits.

Ron

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Jim, as Ron says, Guillows seem to be the main manufacturer these days. On ebay search Guillows Kits in all categories and you'll be spoilt for choice. Good luck John.

J

jimlard

Thanks for the replies, has anyone had experience of Areo Graphics balsa kits? I've seen the SE5a in a kit done by them. I shall certainly look at the Guillows kits. Thank you once again.

B

Bunkerbarge

I agree with the lads above, Guillows seems to be the most prolific manufacturer nowadays. Have a good look on the Internet for a supplier or se what is going on eBay, usually plenty of models so you are in with a chance of a bargain if you keep your eyes open.