Which Manufacturers?

V

vise101

Hey fellas:

I am just getting into modelling again and am wondering which kit maufacturers are the best for quality, content etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

B

backonthecase

What sort of models (tanks/aircraft/boats etc) and in which scales are you planning to build?

B

Bunkerbarge

As Backonthecase suggests it might depend on your particular area of interest but I think you would be in with a safe bet if you went for a Tamiya model of most things. They tend to be beautifully made, superb instructions and go together generally quite easily.

Not the cheapest but certainly the best manufacturer to reintroduce yourself to the joys of modelling.

A

alan2525

I'd second bunker and recommend Tamiya too - I've built some of their 1:35 AFV's 1:24 car kits and 1:20 range of F1 cars and they've all been top notch.

B

backonthecase

Yeah I was tempted to just blurt out TAAAMMMMIIYYYYAAAAA when I read that! Tamiya have been great through my years of RC cars, 1/24 cars, 1/35 tanks and figures etc.... they're great!!!

I've also heard good things bout Dragon but never had experience of them!

V

vise101

Thanks guys.

Mostly am only interested in planes. But I am big F1 fan so I may build a couple of them too.

I figured Tamiya were pretty good, but I don't know the quality of the kits from say, Hobby-Craft, Glencoe, Revell, etc.

Thanks again.

Kevin

G

Gaz

I've heard good reports about "trumpeter" , cheaper than tamiya. Have to admit to never having built one though...

A

alan2525

The Tamiya F1 Kits I made where very nice - especially as the bodywork often has a very large removeable cover. The fit on these parts is great, I remember working with Airfix models years back and large parts always seemed to be warped and need copious amounts of fettling to get right.