Which styrene for scratch building?

First Name
Andy
As the title, what do you guys reckon, Maquett or Evergreen? For my long term project I will have a bit, no, make that a lot of scratch building to do as I can not buy what I need in kit form, well I can but it's from the other side of the world and costs over £100 a shot plus postage and I need two. Just thought I would ask before buying stuff as I have come to value the advice given here. Both makers seem to have the materials I would need but I would like to buy the stuff that gives less hassle when glueing, shaping, cutting etc.

Andy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Any will do, really, I would think. Simple sheets of plastic card are usually cheaper if you don’t buy them from brand names but just generic, and I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference in quality.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've found white styrene the best no matter the source. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy .
I use both Evergreen and Maquett, the Evergreen has the biggest choice. Both glue well, are you in the UK, because there are loads of sellers. Maquett is the cheaper, but the choice is less .

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Agree with Simon, also use aluminium and brass tube, pewter/lead and copper sheet.
Mike.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've used these in the past:
dorspring.co.uk

Dirt cheap but their strips are maybe not as crisply cut as the mainstream suppliers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would say that evergreen strip is far superior to Slaters, but that there isn’t much between them in the quality of sheet. I also think Evergreen rod is better....Evergreen is also the only supplier of five thou sheet that I know of. One advantage of Slaters (at least it used to be) is that they can supply sheets that are bigger than standard. Apparently the trade name for this stuff is bextrene sheet by the way.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've used plastic from Tesco own-brand ice cream tubs.
Pete