Why are so many tamiya products illegal in the uk

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
think its too do with the labels, not showing all the EU stuff you need to have on them, started with the Glue, then got a sticker over the original label, and boom was fine. Cause i could be totally wrong. But i do agree with you, have to order from Japan or china. Price is okay but 40 days to get here ?!!

D

dubster72

What good products are you referring to James?

The only ones that might have a problem are those containing solvents or are flammable. But I can get paint & cement from lots of UK places, including Hobby craft.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

just a question- why are you using tamiya paint and haven't tried (or are using) Mr hobby paint?
btw, I live in Doncaster as well, just in Australia :D
cheers, John

First Name
James
Things such as there retarder which ive found works fantastic with tamiya paints better than any other brand i always get new bottles open em put abit in the top give a good shake and wam bam there amazing to use for both brush and airbrush the lacquer thinners are great for airbrushing and workabilty and i no this ones abit of a silly one but there enamel thinners are great as i have a few pots of tamiya enamels which are great but also not in the uk

D

dubster72

Tamiya retarder
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paint-retarder-acrylic-paint-40ml/dp/B002TZVZE4
Tamiya lacquer thinners
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-87077-Laquer-Thinner/dp/B000GGPQZC
Both can be with you tomorrow.

Any enamel paint can be thinned with white spirit or cellulose thinners.
It's also much cheaper to use a high gloss cellulose thinner instead of Tamiya lacquer thinners. 5 litres for under £20.

If you're airbrushing Tamiya or Mr Hobby paints & don't mind the smell, cellulose thinners are the way to go - no need to buy any retarder either.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
'elf & safety mate and CE marking.......o_O

On a serious note, this again highlights the need for safety equipment like a decent resperator when working with the airbrush & solvents. The restrictions probably save the peeps from themselves.....o_O:confused::eek::oops:

First Name
James
Thank you for showing me a uk supplier makes me one happy bunny thank you very much and i have my mask with both a partical gilter and the one that gets rid of gass yes i supose its my work mask but hey use it at the modeling desk aswell dule use

J

Jens Andrée

Is this really such a big problem in today's world of cheap postage from pretty much everywhere in the world?
Ok, I try to buy everything locally to support the local business - even if it costs a bit more, but when something isn't available locally I just order from wherever it's available, and at a reasonable cost.

All the paint products I've now bought for my scale model adventure has had added stickers with native warning texts on them in order to be compliant, but every country has its laws and some chemicals will always be forbidden, and that's where the real problem starts.

I have a great number of hobbies and some of them require chemicals. Various acids and hydrogen peroxide. (acids for etching metals and hydrogen peroxide to bleach bones)
This didn't used to be a problem at all - just buy them over the counter at your local paint shop.
Increased terrorism and braindead politicians made things really hard for us who need these things and Sweden has turned into the country who's banned the most chemicals the last 20 years or so... sigh.
You can still buy these chemicals in "industrial" quantities/sizes/volumes so instead of buying a 1 litre bottle of acid, or a small bag of something - you now have to buy 250 kg or a 25 litres!!! Talk about barking up the wrong tree because someone with sinister motives wouldn't buy a 1 litre bottle - he would buy a couple of 25 litre ones, and so has these bans only created problems for those who need it whilst not stopping it for those who shouldn't have access to it...

Sorry about the OT rant but I've hit so many dead ends the last 10 years when trying to buy something that's run out and I've been told it's no longer available. Now I just order these banned things from the net and have them shipped in anonymous - but otherwise safe and correct - packages in order to keep uncle customs from opening them.

If there are things you can't get hold of then list those things here and I'll see if they are available where I live? If so it's a simple task to send them.

First Name
James
Its not the issue of buying it from china hong kong ect its the shipping time for one and with bottles like thease they dont get packaged safe and can break in transit 40 days for a replacment its not good

First Name
john
Annoying isn't it. I want panel line accent colour black/brown/grey. Mark fit strong but no stock in the U.K.

First Name
Robert
I'm in tbd Tamiya building phase at the moment ( armour ) to get my WW2 tank collection up to scratch.
I will admit that sourcing some kits is harder than most but I persevere and let's face it eBay ain't going anywhere
I agree the kits are not accurate to some obet say Dragom i.e. Tracks but I think they seem to be getting better.
I recently got my Su122 ( tamiya ) and it seems the tub is quite common i.e. T34 and the Su85 which Tamiya are supposed to do in kit form but so far can't find them.
I like the ease of assembly and although I normally go for after market decals don't have problems with there decal sheets

J

Jens Andrée

Annoying isn't it. I want panel line accent colour black/brown/grey. Mark fit strong but no stock in the U.K.
Odd that this isn't available in the UK when it's even available in Sweden with localised label, added by the importer?! I thought UK if any had an excellent selection of products on the market compared to us here?
Have you asked whoever's the importer of Tamiya into UK why this isn't stocked?

I recently ordered my Tamiya panel line accent colours from www.hobbyland.se and they usually dispatch the order within hours if placed during daytime.
That's one way around the problem...

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I just Googled "panel line accent colour" and the first results were Tamiya brown, black and grey.

Pete

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Is this really such a big problem in today's world of cheap postage from pretty much everywhere in the world?
Ok, I try to buy everything locally to support the local business - even if it costs a bit more, but when something isn't available locally I just order from wherever it's available, and at a reasonable cost.

All the paint products I've now bought for my scale model adventure has had added stickers with native warning texts on them in order to be compliant, but every country has its laws and some chemicals will always be forbidden, and that's where the real problem starts.

I have a great number of hobbies and some of them require chemicals. Various acids and hydrogen peroxide. (acids for etching metals and hydrogen peroxide to bleach bones)
This didn't used to be a problem at all - just buy them over the counter at your local paint shop.
Increased terrorism and braindead politicians made things really hard for us who need these things and Sweden has turned into the country who's banned the most chemicals the last 20 years or so... sigh.
You can still buy these chemicals in "industrial" quantities/sizes/volumes so instead of buying a 1 litre bottle of acid, or a small bag of something - you now have to buy 250 kg or a 25 litres!!! Talk about barking up the wrong tree because someone with sinister motives wouldn't buy a 1 litre bottle - he would buy a couple of 25 litre ones, and so has these bans only created problems for those who need it whilst not stopping it for those who shouldn't have access to it...

Sorry about the OT rant but I've hit so many dead ends the last 10 years when trying to buy something that's run out and I've been told it's no longer available. Now I just order these banned things from the net and have them shipped in anonymous - but otherwise safe and correct - packages in order to keep uncle customs from opening them.

If there are things you can't get hold of then list those things here and I'll see if they are available where I live? If so it's a simple task to send them.
How is that? If you got 250 kg of hydrogen peroxide in Australia, u literally would have the SAS knocking (exploding with charges) ur front door!:eek:
Cheers, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
we still have bottles of bleach labelled "DO NOT DRINK". Let's take that off for a year or two and then start selling Tamiya products with original labels. Should be fine

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Have you tried to buy anything from the USA Jens? I asked for a quote for a set of decals which would fit into a standard envelope. They wanted over £20 for postage to the UK! That's nearly ten times what it would cost for me to send the same item to the USA from the UK.