Why do people condem acrylic primer

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug try flushing through with a decent cleaner , mr hobby tool cleaner is my favourite it will remove the brown stuff off the blanket with no problem's, a couple of flushes through with it then some thinner or water job done our own John Race used it on what he thought was a well cleaned airbrush and was shocked at what came out ,its very strong they recomend not to use it on cheaper airbrushes for fear of melting the seals/washers thingy's.
But yep you've guessed it ,I still put it through my cheepies as well with so far no adverse affects but I've never stripped a airbrush down only ever flushed through with said cleaner I do occasionally pull the needle out the back and give it a good wipe but thats all. Dave
This isn't meant to be telling persons how to clean a airbrush just how I go about it ,that way I dont break anything ie over tighten and snap nozzles its just left how the manufacturer put it together. Its clean so why take it apart.
Thanks Dave. The regular and thorough cleaning was with the freebie AB I was given. Don't bother with the H&S Ultra, unless, as I say when I use primer, that's when it seems to require a more in depth cleaning. And! Since I don't use primer that often!! It's just a flush through after acrylic paints are used. That said, I'll give the Mr Hobby tool cleaner a look!

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Order from Azon, Hycote is the same brand just a different label and will save on your fuel.
Got some mig one shot coming from John which is supposed to be the same. At moment building my spray booth so will see how it goes.

Reactions: JR

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
The simple reason David is that some acrylic primers neither adhere very well to both metal and plastic or are easy to sand. I've only used two acrylic primers before having the luxury of being able to safely use lacquer-based ones and had mixed results with both. The first was Vallejo and it is, as you say, possible to get a decent finish, but you would have to be extremely lucky to have that happen on a first try. Especially without a decent thinning ratio or without retarder. Even if you were fortunate to get a decent finish, sanding it back is virtually impossible. As already mentioned, it tears and will not feather down. The second was Mission Models and I just never ever achieved a consistent finish.

So, what do you do? You move onto something that does work for you.... simples

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The simple reason David is that some acrylic primers neither adhere very well to both metal and plastic or are easy to sand. I've only used two acrylic primers before having the luxury of being able to safely use lacquer-based ones and had mixed results with both. The first was Vallejo and it is, as you say, possible to get a decent finish, but you would have to be extremely lucky to have that happen on a first try. Especially without a decent thinning ratio or without retarder. Even if you were fortunate to get a decent finish, sanding it back is virtually impossible. As already mentioned, it tears and will not feather down. The second was Mission Models and I just never ever achieved a consistent finish.

Have never used any vallejo products anything that needs retarder /flow improver shoots itself in the foot anyway, I always use metal/etch primer before priming ,I always used mr hobby surfacer 1500 but switched when they introduced the mr hobby aqueous surfacer wich is equal to the lacquer version in application and finish ,any filler used on rare occasion is sanded before priming good enough if not ill chuck some mud at it bit diffrent on wingy things I suppose but but armour? :tongue-out3:

• Love

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting…..I find Vallejo model colour the most flexible paint out there, especially for brush painting. The way you can vary its properties with a couple of additives is excellent. After all, we are modelling here, not carrying out interior decorating ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Interesting…..I find Vallejo model colour the most flexible paint out there, especially for brush painting. The way you can vary its properties with a couple of additives is excellent. After all, we are modelling here, not carrying out interior decorating ;)
You've not see me or the bench then Tim , when trying different additives ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry

I used Vallejo Primer for some years before first switching to Stynylrez and then MRP lacquers. I found that Vallejo can be sanded, IF, it is fully cured and herin lays its weakness. Its curing time can vary from. 24 hours to a week or more depending on humidity. If you leave a model in an airing cupboard for a day or two it helps. If fully cured its adhesion is better and it does feather. The problem really is having to wait and be patient and if you have worse humidity where you live than I do then it really is a pain. There are fewer such issues with Stynylrez and no issues like that with MRP.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Interesting…..I find Vallejo model colour the most flexible paint out there, especially for brush painting. The way you can vary its properties with a but couple of additives is excellent. After all, we are modelling here, not carrying out interior decorating ;)
Vallejo is a great brush paint but their primer is not so great IMO