Why do we choose the models we do?

M

Mark P

I have been on here a while now and met some great people and seen some great builds! I do wonder though what makes us choose the builds we do? I love 1/12 Motorbikes, 1/24 Cars and one day I will build a truck ;) . I have my eye on a Ford Capri as it reminds me of Minder, A 1960's Jaguar as it reminds me of old school criminals and the Kray's, bikes because I ride but I hate driving cars but love building them :confused:! What makes you choose your builds?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I just choose what I like , I have an interest in history so I buy those types of models but sometimes I will buy a kit to practice something on

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Like Alan i only choose a kit if i like the look of so i can't realy awnser this one

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I choose what looks interesting to me. Got a mix of everything in my stash. I must admit I do have more cars and bikes tho.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I do not have a specific genre, I like sci-fi, boats, all sorts. I see a model and get an idea, usually involving rust and off I go. I do not like figures or aircraft-mainly as I just cannot get to grips with them-do love looking at builds of them though.

Si:smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Visual appeal for me. This has led to a many and varied kit purchases but, must be an age thing, I am starting to see things for what they were and how they were used. Hence my sudden interest in a series of SdKfz 251 variants, something I would never have done a couple of years ago.

D

Deleted member 4539

I have no real reason why I choose what models I do.

I'll do anything.Majority of the time I know nothing about what I do bar what is in the instructions.

My main reason for modelling is to keep my mind busy and once I finish a model I have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever.Always onto the next one.

I do have a preference for figures and ships.

First Name
Adrian
Like a lot have said I build what catches my eye, though that tends to lean more towards sci-fi themes such as Iron Man and Battlestar Galactica. Recently though I have done a few armour builds and really enjoyed the variation in the build methods.

When I came back to the hobby around six years ago I was building WWII aircraft so I guess I potter around most subjects except figures I take my hat of to those that do figures as it is a real skill.

Adrian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
History.

I'm as interested in the real things and the men who flew them as I am in the models. My model building began as a consequence of my interest in aviation history, not the other way round.

Cheers

Steve

M

Mark P

I used to love going fishing but that stopped when I had a bad car wreck and totally messed up my right arm and shoulder! I needed something that gave me what fishing did (being able to turn off to everything) and so it began :smiling3: , I still remember my first model! An old school mustang painted with brush and it looked awful

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
Yes I'm more into 1/12 bikes and 1/24 cars but also dabble in tanks and aircraft also have a lot of resin 1/9 and 1/16 figures mostly of the 101st and 82nd airbourne recently bought the moebius mars attacks figure just cos I liked the look of it also bought the moebius batman figure and a couple of ironman figures

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i like doing bikes cos im an ex-biker.

cars cos i like motorsport and work in the motor industry and built kit cars

planes cos im ex-RAF and when i was a kid i only built plane kits

armour cos i have an interest in military history

P

Polux

Really I haven't any preference....

My modeling and skills are in constant evolution day by day, so I'm buying all my models looking for this "objective", that is learn.

I returned to the hobby on 2011, so I'm still rediscovering the modeling world yet!!

Maybe, in a few years, I will look back and think about which ones are my favorites.....then, I'm sure, I will can answer your question correctly :D :D :D

First Name
rob
\ said:
History.
I'm as interested in the real things and the men who flew them as I am in the models. My model building began as a consequence of my interest in aviation history, not the other way round.

Cheers

Steve
With you on that one Steve. .....interested in naval history ..inspired by my gramps in ww2. Decided to try a model and understand what the real thing might look like.?..been hooked on modelling ever since

D

demon

My choice is ww2 piston engined aircraft and more recently ww2 ships I tend to only build what interests me in full size as I learn a lot from the research and that's half the fun for me

All the best guys and girls

Roger

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Pretty much anything that is interesting and catches my interest.....Although I do tend to steer well clear of aircraft if I can.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I tend to buy LOTS of stuff that catches my eye - especially if I've looked at one that's been well built. I'm trying to cut down and only buy stuff that can be built easily according to reviews. My modelling is so slow, I can't afford to spend huge amounts of time messing around with poor kits.

Of course, that explains why my stash is over 300 kits - even after having to sell off a lot last year while between jobs. I also tend to sell off stuff that I've looked at and realised I don't have the necessary skills (rigging sailing ships) or patience (individual track links) to build.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Military vehicles of all types, though my last build was a Cat dozer which I enjoyed immensely, especially working with new colors [yellow:D] but I did have to tweak it a bit as 'Caterpillar Yellow'

was not available in the cheapie paints I use. Have a large stash of military stuff [mostly tanks] so don't see much of a change coming about.

Dioramas have been to the forefront of Late........God I need to sell some stuff:oops:...........Jim:smiling3:

A

AceAndroid

I am very new to the hobby, but I started it because I am really interested in WW1 and WW2 planes. As many have mentioned, I enjoy the history behind the planes and have a tremendous amount of respect for the men and women who flew them.

I've only built two models thus far, and both are biplanes. The person at the model shop I bought them from told me that biplanes are hard to start with for beginners, but I bought them anyway because biplanes are my favorite (and I had no trouble with the construction part of making them)! To me, biplanes are just so aesthetically pleasing, and I am astounded by the fact that people actually flew and fought in them.

For future builds, I am looking into getting some of my favorite WW2 planes. My goal is to eventually make a Douglas C-47 because I really admire paratroopers! Sadly, this goal will take some time yet, as I don't think I'm ready for a model of that size and complexity.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've always had an interest in aviation and warfare history. Modelling covers both so if I feel an attachment to a particular kit I'll buy it.