WIP: Billing Boats "St. Canute"

P

porschenut

OK. I've found this kit when i was told to tidy my room a few days ago. I got it when i was about 7, but never opened it, and thought id have a go. Ive made a few bits, and thought i'd post them here. but i am a complete newbie to building boats,a nd would love to learn some tips on working with wood, as i normally work with plastic.

model._020.jpg

My Progress^

model._017.jpg

And the Bits^

Euan (who need to see why his camera is taking bad pictures!)

A

adzam

maybe a bit fiddly for a strting kit bud,since if i remember correctly it`s plank on frame construction and not a prmoulded hull,

however i dont think it`s overly complicated, just do some background work, glues etc etc and make sure you read and understand the instructions :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

A plank on frame hull is certainly a challenge for a beginner and your patience will be put to the test. The trouble is that it is a very time consuming process so you may loose interest as progress will be very slow.

I would always start out with a moulded hull for a beginners kit but, if you feel up to it, give it a go. There is certainly a lot of satisfaction in making your own planked hull but is something that I have not yet felt brave enough to have a go at.

You may find this link interesting:

http://debrisfield.russellwild.co.uk/modelgallery/stcanuteds/

P

porschenut

Right, thanks guys! I have started the planking, and its working well. Thanks for the Information and the website is really usefull Richard.

Euan

J

jankers

Euan,

I'm not familiar with that kit but have done planking ,so,

just post queries, ther;s bound to be someone who can help.

One thing you will need for a wooden build is lots of "wet & dry" abrasive paper, get two (or more) sheets of 180, 240, and 400 grit, as well as some 80 and 120 grit 'ordinary sandpaper' as you will use plenty.

Wet/dry from motor discount places, 'ordinary' from DIY (the kind used on sanding machines is fine).

Never use old fashioned proper sand paper, (the kind which actually uses sand), it is far too course when purchased from decorator shops.

J.

Last edited:
P

porschenut

Ok, Thanks John, I just looked through my sandpaper,m and it turns out thats what i have. Excellent! On with the planking. Pictures of my progress later

Euan

N

noobee captain

When Iwas in Smiths the other day I noticed that MMI this month has a beginners guide to plank on frame ... (HTH)

P

porschenut

Yeah. thanks. I saw that two and bought it, its quite useful.

Euan