Wooden mounting bases...

P

Plasmahal

Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum so please be gentle with me.

I would appreciate any info on where to purchase wooden bases for mounting models. i'm interested in all different shapes and sizes.

I know i could make some myself but i don't have the space and equipment to do it.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

N

Nigel.D

one of the best sources is wooden drawer fronts they come in all different woods and sizes and most diy or furniture stores have plenty to spare

B

Bunkerbarge

Firstly welcome, always nice to see a new face. We are always gentle with people even Nigel who is now allowed out at weekends for good behaviour.

I can't believe you said drawer fronts as I get my wooden drawer fronts from a garden centre for about a pound and they make superb bases for many things. See attached.

If you want smaller try art shops or if you are lucky enough to have a model shop in your town try them.

View attachment 13356

15-10-03-09COSSACKDETAILS9.jpg

N

new to trains

welcome to the forum

the other place you can get them from is the craft type DIY centres.... HOBBYCRAFT do them also a local craft store sell ovals, and rectantangular bases for a few quid,

on a slightly seperate note you dont need alot of kit to make your own..... a router for the edge profile, ( can get these cheap from screwfix direct) and a jigsaw to cut the initial shape out.... if you plan to get a few bases the investment in the tools will pay for itself.....

B

Bluewavestudios

mmm gonna try one of those wooden drawer fronts for a stand for my HMS Active, she deserves a proper stand after just being propped on top of a box for years....(She is 20 Years old now and still goes well) There is a pic elsewhere on this forum of her sailing.

Regards.....Mark.

P

Phoenix

Firstly welcome, always nice to see a new face. We are always gentle with people even Nigel who is now allowed out at weekends for good behaviour.I can't believe you said drawer fronts as I get my wooden drawer fronts from a garden centre for about a pound and they make superb bases for many things. See attached.

If you want smaller try art shops or if you are lucky enough to have a model shop in your town try them.
off topic but

i like the rust effect on your model dude looks cool is it done how i think it is

i watched a model tv proggie that did this

they sprinkled iron ore powder on the model and left it out side in the rain for a day or too

S

squiffythewombat

what size base are you after? ive have a few excess bases lying about your welcome to have if u can pay the postage (they are not light!) drop me a pm.

B

Bunkerbarge

Sorry Phoenix, I missed your question.

I am not a great fan of using "real" rust as it tends to be all one colour. If you study any real rusted machinery it is very much multi coloured.

I use three colours, a bright orange, a brown and a purple and put a good blob on a pallette. Then I use dry streaks of each, mixing as I go and building up layers until I am happy with the results. If you look at real ship photo's rust always forms in specific areas such as nooks and cranny's and in the same direction as water flows off contours and relief items. You can't study enough pictures to see how it forms. When I get a bit of time I'll put a couple of photo's on to give you an idea.

As with so many things I do though practise on scrap first until you are happy with the effect and only then commit to your pride and joy.

I once saw a ship model that had used 'real' rust and it really didn't seem to create the effect for me. I would also stay away from air brushing rust, it just does not form in a finely shaded area. Air brushes are perfect for soot stains around funnels and masts though.

N

Nigel.D

rust is best from artists pastels and chalks try they blend so easily and if you make a mistake just wipe off