Work space...

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Thank you for all the input so far, Sorry for all the questions but it is a very different place than when I was last getting high berating in the glue and paint fumes, which nobody thought about back in the 1970s. If I may, I would like to hear your thoughts on modular storage systems. Initially I had planned to build my own, but after looking at the various ranges out there and their very reasonable price I am now leaning towards using ready made modular kits such as the Hobbyzone range. I have today ordered a paint brush organiser and a drawer unit to see if I like them. 'Er-in-doors said that if I did not like them that she might, so it is worth a punt. I am now wondering if I am going to be able to hang on to them even if I do like them... :confused:

What do you use, any suggestions or pictures of your workspace would be helpful. I have my own ideas, but I am sure you will have solutions I have not thought of, or products I have not found yet.

Thanks,
Ralph.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Once i start a build i it doesn't take to long to end up with a workspace fractional bigger than the model lol
Im planning on getting some more underdesk draws to keep everything in and close to hand, its all too easy when reaching over the desk to catch the model, paint,glue etc with an elbow and end up with a heap of problems and mess.1000000588.jpg1000000508.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If you want to see how beautifully well organised the hobbyzone modules can make your desk, have a look for some of Barry W's topics.

Maybe starting with this one

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Thanks for the swift replies and links. It was Barry's post that got me looking at the HZ stuff in the first place. As I eluded to above, my wife is interested in building too and needs her own workspace. The modular system looks to be the answer for us. As we can make two separate areas that can be adapted as the need arises.

Ralph

The storage of the stash will not be a problem as we don't have one...

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't think it matters what sort of storage you have - home-made or ready bought. You will find you have some tools which won't fit in any available space, and some spaces you can't fill because you don't have a suitable selection of items (Do you want to use that big drawer for the only large glue bottle which won't fit in with all the other glues you have which would only take up a quarter of the drawer?)

Whichever you choose, sooner or later the golden rule of storage - "There is never enough shelf space" - will come to bite you!

PS Talking about storage space reminds me.

Two definitions of space:

1) Something with nothing in.
2) Nothing with everything in.

PPS Don't take too much notice of my moaning. I get more and more cynical as I get older but I'm quite harmless really! :smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I find the hobby zone Vallejo paint holders excellent. I don’t use the rest of the range though. I just have a couple of these under the desk…

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have the Hobbyzone paint holders for Vallejo as well. No more paints constantly falling over and rolling off the desk. I have their small tool holder thingie as well. fits my needs. I also have a couple of the sprue holders as well.
If you go to Hobbyzones web site, they have a little on screen app where you can build your wanted layout and it lists what you will nee to buy.
I think most will say they are easy to put together and a good idea.
Ikea is another source of some useful small storage items...

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Once i start a build i it doesn't take to long to end up with a workspace fractional bigger than the model lol
Im planning on getting some more underdesk draws to keep everything in and close to hand, its all too easy when reaching over the desk to catch the model, paint,glue etc with an elbow and end up with a heap of problems and mess.View attachment 500011View attachment 500012
I have under desk draws under my bench, 3 of them, put stuff in there years ago and only occasionally remember them but not what I put in them - now ice cream tubs/ butter tubs and quality street tubs, got them by the ton and all with labels on - just in case I turn into Biden.... Thhis is my place of enjoyment - a bit untidy at the moment because I started on the group bi-plane build, and to construct three bases for finished models. But due to twisting my knee I cannot bend it to get under the workbench, so everything is on hold, even typing this I am at arms length... but here are some pics of my area...
20240120_090320_HDR.jpg
Main bench.. and behind the chair is the cd player, tiolet roll (for wiping up or wiping brushes)
20240120_090328_HDR.jpg
Some shelves and storage...
20240120_090344_HDR.jpg
Display case....
20240120_090357_HDR.jpg
Drawers music cd's and the middle draw is full of cd's...
20240120_090404_HDR.jpg
And more storage drawers with bases waiting for work to start on them..

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have a bench under a window with the spray booth on the right and a couple of cheap plastic drawers on the left. The bench is supported by two old units with drawers. There is space for the compressor underneath.
P1070428.JPG

On the other side of the room I have those Ikea modular units. A mix of drawers, cupboards, open spaces and display. There is also another old unit with four drawers with the photo booth on top.
P1070429.JPG

I'm lucky to have plenty of space and although not the smartest it does work. The drawers and cupboards in the Ikea units take all my paints, glues etc.