Wortham layout

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Probably brought on by poor road conditions Lee.....might want to get that cleaned up before the State Troopers arive. :tongue-out2: :thumb2:
It was construction. I’m going re-do the Chevy Dump Truck and that paver to get rid of the toy look. At least there paving that old broken Highway 4EF3D99B-65E1-4BAF-A84C-DF31975B544E.jpeg4DE723FE-2580-4459-832B-4176240D9A80.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That dump truck has possibilities....the paver is gonna take some work, but do-able........ummm you might wanna loose the white wall tires:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out::thumb2:......great looking asphalt, what happened to the crew?.....must be lunchtime! ;) Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That dump truck has possibilities....the paver is gonna take some work, but do-able........ummm you might wanna loose the white wall tires:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out::thumb2:......great looking asphalt, what happened to the crew?.....must be lunchtime! ;) Rick H.
It’s a mock up. No figs yet The paver will have tracks like a Cedar Rapids and it will be lowered.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Now yer talking......have you got tracks lined up for it? That will be cool :cool: hope you do a thread on it I would love to see that mod done! :thumb2:
Yes I have some that will work although it will be for from prototypical but it will do I hope. I will probably do a thread on it once it’s past the point of no return lol.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You act as though the patient is already dead......typically the tracks were mostly covered on these machines, if I haven't lost my memory.....also, a lot of them were green. When I was a kid I used to watch for hours as the crews laid down asphalt.....something about the aroma of hot tar and all the activity......It was "progress".

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
You act as though the patient is already dead......typically the tracks were mostly covered on these machines, if I haven't lost my memory.....also, a lot of them were green. When I was a kid I used to watch for hours as the crews laid down asphalt.....something about the aroma of hot tar and all the activity......It was "progress".
Rick Where I grew up my neighbor had a Asphalt/ Construction business I started going with his Asphalt crew when I was 11 years old every summer till I was 16 then when I was 20 he asked me to drive for him so I left my current driving job and started driving a old 1969 Brockway Dump truck. I hauled lots of Asphalt in my day and I’m very familiar with these machines and how they work. My dad also Dump Truck too he sold his tractor trailer in 1972 and bought a brand new 1973 chevy C65 I used to go with him hauling Asphalt in the summer. The green pavers you are taking about is a Barber Greene. I’m going to try to build this like the ones my dad and I used to haul to which is a Cedar Rapids there Gray. My dad and I both ran together in 1993-94 he had a 1976 Louisville Ford with a 238 Detroit and I drove a 1974 Mack RS700l with a 318 Detroit. Around here where our Asphalt plant is they never used Tar it’s Asphalt Oil a special kind of mix and they dump fine rock called screenings then they heat the Oil and mix the Screenings in with it to make Asphalt. I don’t think Tar would work good in a paver. Tar is used on roofs.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Smelled like tar.........I was only 7 or 8 when they redid our street......sure was fun, better than going to the movies. Learned some new words too!:tongue-out3:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Smelled like tar.........I was only 7 or 8 when they redid our street......sure was fun, better than going to the movies. Learned some new words too!:tongue-out3:
Yes that Asphalt smell was nice. Those Asphalt crews had some colorful Language.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Yesterday I found some old copies I made years ago for some background. I plan on putting these on some foam board and try to make them a little more convincing. Here’s some pics as I was playing around with them. F81AAE8C-A078-4696-9F00-00E1DA681569.jpegB9BE39BE-E64B-4BFA-8679-E784E72CE575.jpeg35F9428F-4FCF-475D-994A-073AF7DF451A.jpeg8D77DB0A-8EFC-41B1-86C1-E8E6ADE5C694.jpeg9FD5127A-469A-414D-B736-74689446B106.jpeg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee
I've never had an interest in railways but enjoyed your videos. Very realistic traveling slow and steady with a lot in tow.
Jim
Thanks Jim glad you appreciate it. I’ve always enjoyed Model Railroading living only feet away from the Tracks where I grew up in a small town no wonder I like them so much. It’s a shame we didn’t have enough money to own a camera back then that was a high luxury back then. Some day I’ll post where I grew up we was poor but we never knew it always satisfied with what we had. But Mom and Dad did buy me a couple train sets when I was young for Christmas