WW1 Male Tank and Terrain COMPLETED!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi stefan, well done ,a lovely piece. The tank looks superbly realistic ,the muddiness is just right to my eye, and i know from my own experience its not easy making all those sandbags! If there was anything i would have done different its maybe to use just a single very thin strand of wire for the barbed wire,the double thickness looks a bit overscale, Im sure someone (ron maybe?) did a post on making barbed wire a while back, Ill have a search. keep up the good work , cheers tony

S

Stefan290790

thank you tony :D . yeah those sandbags took me a few hours!! funny you mentioned the barbed wire because as I chucked it on my piece I also thought that it may be too thick. I will try and experiment with one strand instead and replace it.

and as with the mud, it was my first time experimenting with it. I used real mud from my backyard (it was a rainy day) and mixed some paint in it, but I got a question. Is there a way to keep real mud wet (because it was very shiny then when it dried it went to a matt dry mud texture)?

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Use Klear or any gloss varnish either mixed in or lightly painted on, this will keep your mud 'wet'. Nice to see another WWI tank, they really are interesting things, looks good

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely little set up with a very good weathering effect on the tank. Funnily enough it was the barbed wire which caught my attention as well. I would stretch a piece of doubled up and twisted cotton between two pins on a peice of wood. With another piece of cotton tie single knots at regular intervals along it's length the place a blob of thin cyano on each knot. When it dried snip the tails of the knot close and you will end up with a very convincing looking barbed wire. Simply twist it around a round object to generate a coil. You might find an application of very watered down PVA will make it that bit more malleable and controllable.

N

noble

Hi Stefan a nice piece the thing that stands out is the barbed wire, it is a little over scale richards suggestion on barbed wire is a good one and yields good results other than that a little gloss varnish gives a wet muddy look. The male tank is very well done and weathered and i love the sand bags, i chickened out and bought the tamiya ones for the piece iam doing so well done, nice work indeed don't you think WWI is an interesting period?

scott

S

Sky Raider

Very nice build. Well done. I agree with the guys, the barbwire is a problem, it jumps atraight out at you and draws your eye from the real work of art that you have done. Im sure that you will sort this out and repost a pic for us to see it in its true glory.

Well done again.

Andy

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The following website has an article on making barbed wire, not tried it yet but it looks simple yet effective.

LLOYDIAN MODELLING TIPS: making scenery - barbed wire etc.

Paul