WW11 the most aesthetically attractive aircraft.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
For me it's the Bf 109G-2
The G-2 is close enough to the F for me to have no problem agreeing with you, as far as Luftwaffe fighters go :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Polux

For me is the Stuka ;)

Don't think is just because I have finished this model today...I posted she was my favorite one on the first post of the under construction thread!

The reasons...?

There's something that I cannot explain...I love her "silhouette", she looks robust and estilized at the same time, fascinating! Just take a look at the landing legs :rolleyes:

The flaps out of the wings, the short space between the cabin and spinner...

The Stuka is my plane :smiling3:

D

dubster72

\ said:
I would agree with you Doug. I have always categorized aircraft like cars. This is an the aesthetic appeal.German very BMW austere and no frills hard lines.

British a rather like an E Type Jag soft lines.

American. Ford Mustang. Very stated in its purpose.
Oh Laurie, you do make me chuckle! How can you compare WWII aircraft to cars built 20 years+ later?

In machinery form is dictated by function. And to a lesser extent, the technology on hand.

The idea that racial stereotypes affect how something is built surely

belongs back in the past? No BMW that I've owned could be described as 'austere'! ;)

A good and thought-provoking thread! :smiling3:

T

tommy1drop

I`ve always liked the Focke Wulf Condor, there is something about this aircraft that has always fascinated me, It really is a lovely looking aircraft.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Oh Laurie, you do make me chuckle! How can you compare WWII aircraft to cars built 20 years+ later?In machinery form is dictated by function. And to a lesser extent, the technology on hand.

The idea that racial stereotypes affect how something is built surely

belongs back in the past? No BMW that I've owned could be described as 'austere'! ;)

A good and thought-provoking thread! :smiling3:
Ah dear Patrick you missed the point of the thread.

"WW11. The most aesthetically attractive aircraft".

Having practised in the architectural profession for 50 years I am aware of of the influence of technology in design plus a whole host of other wretched things. But the question was/is, although you can with pleasure expand the parameters, the pleasing of the design to the eye no more no less.

Laurie

R

Reelo

\ said:
The G-2 is close enough to the F for me to have no problem agreeing with you, as far as Luftwaffe fighters go :smiling3: Cheers

Steve
Yep. Close call between an F-4 and a G-2...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

D

dubster72

\ said:
But the question was/is, although you can with pleasure expand the parameters, the pleasing of the design to the eye no more no less.Laurie
Perhaps I'd understand it better if posts were written in English! :P

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My personal top ten:

1. Early Supermarine Spitfires (I-V) - who can say that elliptical wing is not a thing of beauty?

2. de Havilland Mosquito - The most beautiful twin engined aircraft of the Second World War. The entire aeroplane just looks right from any angle.

3. P-51D Mustang - The classic clean shape of arguably the greatest American fighter is an icon in its own right. It would make almost any list.

4. Avro Lancaster - The big stick in the British arsenal with all the bits in the right place and the twin tail fins.

5. Bf-109F/early G models - Beautifully rounded and shaped, before they stuck on all those bulges and gondolas.

6. Hawker Hurricane - Harking from an older generation of fighter, but it always looks right to me and deserves a place due to it's lovely wing shape and tidy profile.

7. Douglas C-47 Dakota - Curves and shape that belies its role as a transporter. Another true icon.

8. Hawker Tempest V - Even with that huge intake under the nose, the Tempest V just looks awesome. A mixture of power and beauty.

9. Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress - It was either this or the He111 for me, but the Fort wins because, like the C-47, it is shaped beautifully and truly purposeful.

10. Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk/Warhawk - Like the Hurricane, from an older generation but another icon. Nicely shaped with a 'classic' Second World War style canopy. Like the others, almost anyone can identify a P-40.

L

Laurie

Now what about the weird ones.

Catalina Flying Boat

Walrus

Lysander

Swordfish

Constructed all of these. Like them all but they are off beat with a fascination.

I do not know much about German aircraft but a few as I have seen would go on my list.

One that I do like is the Heinkel HE111 with all that "glass". This is from school boy days looking at ircraft books.

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive thunk long and hard about this one and whittled it down to three contenders . The Mosquito , the ME 262 ,the Spitfire , the Macchi 202 folgore,the Mitsubishi KI 46 Dinah,the BF 109F, OOPS!! - it started as 3 but as I typed the list just grew!!!! If I HAD to choose a number one I guess it would be the Mosquito (even then I had last minute doubts and nearly picked the ME 262 !!) The slender fuselage and delicate tail , combined with the neat installation of the twin Merlins is a purposeful yet sleek package.The method of construction (mainly plywood skinned ) also contributes to an extremely smooth finish with very few visible panel lines . An excellent thought provoking thread weve got here , just shows the difference in peoples ideas of what makes a beautiful aircraft, plus the bonus of making us remember some we might have forgotten ,although thats a bit of a double edged sword- its making me want to start looking for kits of them!!! Tony

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Apart from the obvious candidates like Spitfire and Lancaster for me I have always liked the Dakota, Dauntless and Sunderland. I've also always like the Nakajima Kate and the simplicity of the Mitsubishi Zero.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I forgot ,another contender for me ,the de Havilland dh 89 dragon rapide/dominie , another beautiful design from de Havilland (and dont forget the daddy of them all the DH 88 comet ,although thats not ww2 ) tony

P

Paul Daniell

This is a great tread.

For me it has changed some many times. When I was a kid it would have been the Spit or the Hurricane but think that stemmed more from my love of War comics. Then when I started to look into these things as a teenager with trips to airshows and museums It would have been the P-51 Mustang or the ME 262 (still recovering from the Victory Show yesterday 2 Mustangs ) moving on to things like the Meteor and the F86 Sabre. but to me at this moment in time I like the more obscure or less well known planes to be honest.

After a trip to the Classic Air Force a couple of years ago my new favorite's are The De Havilland Vampire

The Vampire was developed during the Second world war but missed it by about 6 month. It didn't have a very long RAF life only about 10 years in all It had two noticeable first's. It was the first Jet fighter to fly across the Atlantic and a Navy version was the 1st Royal Navy carrier Jet. The Vampire was exported world wide with some still being in service into the 1980's

The other is the De Havilland Venom

The Venom was a replacement for the Vampire and Meteor and again was exported world wide it was finally retired in 1983 with the last country to have it in service being Switzerland.

The reason I love these 2 planes is because they both look very futuristic but in an old fashion sort of way They look like they have come from a Gerry Anderson show or from the pages of Dan Dare. They may not have been very good or lasted long in service with the RAF but there is something about them that fascinates me.

P

Paul Daniell

lol just read the title again.

Only one of my planes will count then:oops:

L

Laurie

May be Paul but it is interesting. Thought the Vampire, as a young boy when it was about, was a boys dream a different configuration.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
lol just read the title again.Only one of my planes will count then:oops:
But they are beautiful aeroplanes :smiling3:

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
To answer the question simply, DH Mosquito. But, the B17, to me, always just looked right.

P

Paul Daniell

Just had my 7 year old read this over my shoulder and has told me to add his top 5

1) Fokker wolf 190 ( his words the short nose one the long nose looks daft)

2) spitfire but only the ones done in camo not the stupid silver one his words again.

3) hurricane

4) P51 mustang especially Jannie and jumping jack ( the ones we saw yesterday at the victory show )

5) and the last one is I think the ME 262 or in his words the cool jet one out of red tails.

He then followed this all up with dad the Germans stuff was way cooler then the British and American stuff and this was all said while he was stood there in his new replica Luftwaffe cap. Lolo_O

A

AVB99

Isn't it good that taste in women (or to be pc, members of the opposite gender) and aircraft is so subjective!!!!!