WW2 RN Destroyers

G

Geoff Cropper

Hi everyone, I'm building a 96th scale model of HMS ONSLOW in 1942. It had twin props and a central rudder. Can anyone please tell me which direction the props turned whilst moving forwards in WW2 RN Destroyers ,they were handed props ie left and right turning. Did they turn outwards or inwards at the top when moving ahead ? Many thanks regards GC.

F

Fenlander

Not sure about this but I found a picture of a model which shows the port prop. Looking at it, I assume to move forward, the prop would rotate clockwise looking from the rear. It does not show the starboard prop so I don't know if that would rotate the same way or if they had counterrotating props. The picture is at

Google Image Result for http://www.gremirmodels.com/HMS%20Onslow_06.jpg

R

RickF

Most warships have outboard turning props. This means, viewed from the rear, the LH (port) prop would turn counterclockwise and the RH prop clockwise.

Rick

S

sailor6782

It all depends on the pitch of the prop - L / R rotation, so all you need to know is that the deepest bit bites harder and what rotation was standard. Rick is about right. Port - anti clockwise, Stb - the opposite. By the way, if you crash your destroyer - please don't quote me. Ta.

Bob.

G

Geoff Cropper

I swopped the props over to give outboard turning, so disregard the photo of props wrong way round. G.C.