WWII German Rifle Wood Colour?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
What wood was the German rifles/assault rifles made out of? And to that point. What colour Vallejo Model Colour paint would suffice to start as a base for said wood?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And points out all the minute differences between different K98s ;)

But as an actual answer: the wood differed depending on which timeframe you’re looking at. Pre-war rifles used far better-quality wood than those produced towards the end, and were probably also varnished better. Generally speaking, and IIRC, pre- and early-war rifles had a medium to fairly deep brown colour, while late(r)-war rifles tended to have a lighter colour of wood.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If I remember correctly, pre and early war stocks would be walnut. late war ones tended to be laminated, possibly Birch.
John.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Alan,
They say "A picture paints a thousand words" so......
a.mig7123__57584.1566226023.jpg
..... I use these,they mix and cover very nicely,and cover pretty much any weapon you need to do :thumb2:,HTHs
Andy

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
If and when I need to paint some 'woodwork' on a weapon, I start with an initial base of Tamiya dark yellow, or Buff, and then when It's dry I give it a coat of brown oil paint,

the more coats the deeper the wood brown colour, and it will also help create the wooden grain effect in the wood parts..

HTH

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Alternatively, use VJ burnt umber as a base, and highlight with a mix of umber and mahogany….top highlights being straight mahogany. You can also mix in flat brown to get variety in the shades.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If I remember correctly, pre and early war stocks would be walnut. late war ones tended to be laminated, possibly Birch.
John.
Close John, actually Beech wood. The pre and early war pieces tended to be mostly Walnut of various types hence the color differentiation as Jakko explained earlier.
Yours truly Mr. Mauser ;)

• Love
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Pure guesswork but the most prominent hardwood trees in the region would be a fair bet; oak, ash or beech. Ash could be a good bet as it's faster growing than oak, which might also have been earmarked for ships decking.....
Most of the pioneer tools used oak or ash.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cheers for the correction Rick. I knew it began with a 'B' . ;).
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, I know it can sometimes be inaccurate, but Wiki states they had walnut, beech, or elm laminate stocks from 1937. The solid stocks probably pre date this.
Some pictures here….
They are various colours. The paints I stated earlier will work, especially as the stock would be stained and darkened in use. To my eye the Mig colours pictured do not have the slight “green” tinge that is evident in some of these examples. They will be fine for others though.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Forgotten Weapons was mentioned earlier, and I suddenly remembered he has a video with side-by-side comparisons of K98s from different years or production, which nicely shows how the colour of the stock changed too:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Allan, keep in mind it doesn't matter what type of tree the weapon stocks were made from. A tree, any tree doesn't grow with a consistent colour/shade and will be slightly different when it's cut up and machined. That is mother nature's way.

So there is no one on this planet who can say which shade or colour is correct. All wooden stocks will be slightly different. Now, let's discuss the varying grains!:dizzy:

Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The colours Jakko has posted can be mixed from burnt umber and Iraqi sand in various quantities. You only need something close. As Ron says, the real thing varies in colour almost infinitely, and can be modified even more by gun oil, sweat, general grime and even any protecting finish used in manufacturing. The only thing I would say is that the colours are not that red tinted so stay away from chocolate brown….

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Weapons furniture darkens and patinates with usage due to dirt, oily hands, sweat, climatic conditions, wear, etc, etc! Doesn't pay to get too pedantic about exact colours mate! Modern furniture is less prone due to improved treatments and sealants!
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There are a lot of really good videos on that channel if firearms history and the way they work are among your interests. Look up the one on “Kraut Space Magic” if you want to see how exotic you can make a gun if you really try :smiling3: