WWII Motorbike Identification

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi everyone

I assume this is a Harley Davidson. If not what is it please?. If it is then would there be any other information like CC, Model etc?. Many thanks in advance (plenty of more photos if needed)

DSC03227.JPG

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Bit late for me to look into stuff Steve.... Been a busy day !
All I can say is YES,a Harley... If no-one else comes up with info in the meantime,I'll look into my books and kits in the morning mate ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Steve , hopefully one one the colonial members will be able to help, esp Paul E .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Without digging out my Harley Refs. .......buried in storage, It is a WLA model..........45 cubic inch (740 cc) V Twin Flathead (knuckle head) Top speed over 60 mph.........must of been a scary ride at that speed on a springer suspension with fabric tires.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
It is a WLA model..........45 cubic inch (740 cc) V Twin Flathead (knuckle head)
Well done Rick. Many thanks indeed
Yep definitely a Harley. I think its a 750cc but I am no expert. I did build the 12th scale kit, or maybe it's ninth scale.
I remember that build fondly John. Learnt a lot about leather work from your model.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Without digging out my Harley Refs. .......buried in storage, It is a WLA model..........45 cubic inch (740 cc) V Twin Flathead (knuckle head) Top speed over 60 mph.........must of been a scary ride at that speed on a springer suspension with fabric tires.
Just come across this thread, you're forgetting that they were also a 'suicide shift' - hand change on the left of the tank (including clutch), some changed them to a foot change and hand clutch on the bars.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
"tank shifter" knuckle heads were still seen on "choppers" through the 50s into the 60s. Helping an old biker with one of these was one of my first automotive tinkering experiences at 9yrs old. I don't the Indians made it across the pond as the Army only bought a few.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
As an add-on, the WLA military models had the throttle on the left handlebar. Not on the right one. The rider could then shoot his Thompson MG while riding. Not an easy thing to do I would think...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
First shot shows a 1941 Indian S-41 partial restoration, the second is an H.D. WLA from the rear with the Indian on the right. Sorry for the lousy pics, The Museum put up a fence cos people can't read signs and control their kids, to keep them from climbing on the exhibits.P1012385.JPGP1012386.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
First shot shows a 1941 Indian S-41 partial restoration, the second is an H.D. WLA from the rear with the Indian on the right. Sorry for the lousy pics, The Museum put up a fence cos people can't read signs and control their kids, to keep them from climbing on the exhibits.View attachment 464178View attachment 464179
Think an electric fence would be better , easier for those taking photo's Rick . Its shame when people just cant respect displays.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
WWII production was 90,000 Harleys and a test run of 1000 (driveshaft) Indians for desert use, but they were not adopted.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Think an electric fence would be better , easier for those taking photo's Rick . Its shame when people just cant respect displays.
TBH John, that is needed at any show, the number of little brats that have to be chased off exhibits makes you wonder what the parents are like - worst case I've heard of was a chap arriving at a show, gleaming bike, as soon as he switched it off to book in, a woman allowed her toddler to grab the exhaust pipe and then had a go at him because it burned the childs hands! Lucky that the brat didn't grab the downpipe - would have been hospitalised.