xtracrylix - is it me?

M

markg

hi

I decided today to try out xtracrylix paints, both brush-painting and through the airbrush. Found them awful for hand painting, and not too keen on them in the airbrush either, clogs the airbrush up too easily it seems. I used xtracrylix thinner, and water, only. Is there some secret to these paints? Other paints I have tried or applied to my few models, I have been very happy with.

I could just forget xtracrylix, but I have a few, and they offer a good range of colours (it seems), so I either have to sort out how to use them, or sell the b....rs.

thanks

Mark

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now I don't want to sound rude but its you...LOL

OK they are not the best for brush painting. Not to say they can't be brushed, I, me, personally am not to happy with them via a hair stick. However in an airbrush they are the dogs dingily bits.

I use them with Vallejo thinner and they spray great with a nice smooth surface.

Before you dismiss them, have a play with the proportions of paint and thinner. I would not recommend the use of water. It could also be the air pressure is something to consider as well.

Ian M

M

markg

:smiling3: ok, I'll accept it's me, I'm still learning.

Although I won't pursue hand painting them, I'll try again with the airbrush with different pressures and thinning ratios. I haven't ventured away from manufacturer's thinners, but I'll try the Vallejo thinner as you suggest.

Thanks

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have to say i found them a nightmare to use at first through my airbrush. But found with 50/50 thinner (their own type) it sprays ok. Still not as good as Tamiya in my opinion but the colours are better

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I still use them from time to time. I did find them a bit tricky initially but found that thinned with water and a drying retardant (branded thinners often contain retardant) I could achieve good results. The colours are very good,amongst the most authentic.

Cheers

Steve

M

markg

thanks for your replies Ian, Allyne and Steve, you have helped me decide to persevere. Steve, it is exactly for the reason you state, that is, the accuracy of their colours, that made me get them. Interestingly, I had a search for xtracrylix on Phil Flory's forum, and there's obviously mixed views about xtracrylix. It is obvious that better modellers will find the way to use them because they seem to be worth the pain, and pain there is obviously. Another thing mentioned by others is that constant tip cleaning is required, less so if one uses a retarder, but still some required.

cheers guys

Mark

F

Fenlander

I ended up putting my quite extensive collection of Xtracrylix in the bin. Having used them for ages without any issues at all, I found that no matter what I did they turned into messy string in the airbrush and blocked it up straight away. I never found why and I was none too pleased as I had loads of it and liked using it. Would love to know what happened to it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Did you ever contact the makers and ask why. Could it be that they get old? So far I have not had any issue other than the normal acrylic problem of drying on the tip of the needle or the nozzles rim. A quick swipe with a cotton but with thinners or airbrush cleaner soon sorts that out.

If you are after authentic colour and don't mind smelly paint then have a look at White Ensign Models range of paints. A few of the matches are a bit iffy in the Army colours but the ship and Aircraft ones are very good. IMHO. Spray very well and give a good finish. A bonus is that they brush quite well and there is no difference in finish if brushed or sprayed. Very nice if you need a touch up (oh er misses).

Ian M

F

Fenlander

I have to admit I didn't Ian. Some were maybe a year old a lot were only months. I have no idea what happened. Had it been the odd tub I would have replaced it but all the lot turned so it must have been storage or something. Having said that, all my paints are kept in the house so nothing changed there either. I now use 80% Vallejo and 20% Tamiya with the odd Lifecolor which many say are almost unusable but I get on with them OK

S

Stevekir

I (a beginner) am having trouble with my (cheap) 0.5 mm nozzle airbrush clogging often after about 20 secs work despite cleaning the hell out of it immediately after every use, including bottle brushing the passage between the front and the bottom of the cup, even after a short 2 minute brushing session. I am using Xtracrylix paints (20 PSI) and have had to thin more than they advise. As with others posters, the airbrush cleaner/thinner/water flow out well by themselves at the beginning of a session. Last time I noticed, after thorough cleaning of the needle, that under a powerful magnifier, there were some bits of paint, very thin indeed, sticking near to the needle tip (not on it) so firmly that I could not feel them nor scrape them off with my finger nail. I soaked the needle in Vallejo Airbrush cleaner and that cleared it. Because many people use Vallejo Model Air, I will transfer to them for future paints.