Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good afternoon

Really sorry to be right old pain!

Trying to make this
20211102_124213.jpg
Any help making the right angled turn!! Tried using flat nose pliers, pe bending tool but the railings always gone off a a angle not a nice neat turn!

Thankfully bought a cheap eduard set of railings for practice and so far used a lot of it lol.

Should i do the right angled bits first then the curve?? Been using assorted sizes of metal rods but need a lot more practice

Any help would be much appreciated, thankfully no railings on a StuG lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Have you tried cut and shut? Basically make the bent bit, cut it to length at the right angled bend, then add another straight piece to it? I think that’s a hard thing to make in one piece, especially out of railing. It would be quite hard in pin wire, let alone out of softer etch!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Have you tried cut and shut? Basically make the bent bit, cut it to length at the right angled bend, then add another straight piece to it? I think that’s a hard thing to make in one piece, especially out of railing. It would be quite hard in pin wire, let alone out of softer etch!
Now Tim, why oh why did i not think of that D'oh!!

Off subject Tim will post photos of the new possibly part maine coone

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Now Tim, why oh why did i not think of that D'oh!!

Off subject Tim will post photos of the new possibly part maine coone
Well I used to make locomotive hand rails. The one piece style, down the boiler, round the smoke box, and back down the other side of the boiler nearly drove me mad until I cottoned on to that dodge….….mind you, I could alway hide the join in a handrail knob……
Look forward to the maine coon piccys, I’ve always been tempted by them, but apparently the pure breeds are a bit dumb and can wander off…..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
The right angle bend looks to be on an upright. I would do what Tim suggested. Make the bend finishing on that corner without an upright. Then add the short straight with an upright at the angle. Small drop of CA to hold the three bars onto the upright.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well I used to make locomotive hand rails. The one piece style, down the boiler, round the smoke box, and back down the other side of the boiler nearly drove me mad until I cottoned on to that dodge….….mind you, I could alway hide the join in a handrail knob……
Look forward to the maine coon piccys, I’ve always been tempted by them, but apparently the pure breeds are a bit dumb and can wander off…..
Cheers again Tim, photo posted in new stuff

Sound advice, would love one but new moggie does look to have some maine dna?
Hi Bob
The right angle bend looks to be on an upright. I would do what Tim suggested. Make the bend finishing on that corner without an upright. Then add the short straight with an upright at the angle. Small drop of CA to hold the three bars onto the upright.
Jim
Evening Jim, hope you are well

Thanks yet again! Will try using my practice railings using scrap plastic cut out to a similar shape

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Bob
Draw out a straight line with a 90 degree line across, on either thick plastic or a tile, this is so that you can line up both the rail and the ruler/straight edge. Then use a flat blade (scalpel) to just lift the rail slightly so that you can get a single side blade underneath and create your 90 degree bend. If you have already formed the curved bit that should not be a problem. If you do manage to catch it then a little bit of movement should see it back to shape.
Mike.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use a steel rule held down firmly and fold the other side up with a blade underneath.
Cheers Mark
Bob
Draw out a straight line with a 90 degree line across, on either thick plastic or a tile, this is so that you can line up both the rail and the ruler/straight edge. Then use a flat blade (scalpel) to just lift the rail slightly so that you can get a single side blade underneath and create your 90 degree bend. If you have already formed the curved bit that should not be a problem. If you do manage to catch it then a little bit of movement should see it back to shape.
Mike.
Hi Mike, hope you are well

Much appreciated, many thanks!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Getting there, thankfully the eduard railings set has come in very handy. These are as suggested by Tim in seperate parts
20211105_165512.jpg
No where near good enough and the first attempts (many lol) are in the bin

Biggest problem is getting CA on the railings, i cannot see if there is any so dipping in small pool of CA backed up with brushed on pva

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob m8ty you are doin good but take a tip from me dont throw the bits away as you may be able to use them eleswhere an save money
chris