Yet another Kleer question

First Name
Dave
I bought a bottle of 'Kleer' in ASDA today.Ive heard a lot about its use as a gloss acrylic varnish for models but had never tried it.There have been a few posts about it on this forum of late,so i thought id give it a try.Somebody on here said they'd bought it under the 'Pledge' label and apart from now being a milky colour, it still works the same.Well, i brush painted it on an old model that has a matt finish and it didnt dry gloss (gave the bottle a good shake before hand). In fact ,after 3 coats the model has a slightly satin finish.Question is, is this the right stuff?.

View attachment 26659

View attachment 32572

IMG_0252.jpg

M

m1ks

Yep, that's the right stuff, when people say gloss, don't think, high gloss deep shine, this is where the confusion is.

What it does, over several layers, is give a glossy surface for decaling and washing.

it's very thin so each successive coat is thin and therefore more are required to gloss a model.

It also dissolves in itself so the base layer must be set then the next layer needs to be laid on quickly, if brushed one quick pass.

First Name
Dave
Ok then I'll give it another go.I'll try airbrushing it next.mainly I want to use it for coating canopies.will have a go at that tomorrow.

B

Bunkerbarge

If you imagine a nice matt finish the surface is actually very rough. When you coat it with this stuff it is so thin that it can only coat the rough surface and make it slightly less rough. If you wanted a full gloss it would take a lot of successive coats to completely fill in the gaps between the high spots of the rough surface. A 'sheen' should be good enough to get your transfers to sit down OK and allow you to apply washes that will be removable afterwards.