Your GB mod has had a Brian storm....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some great ideas coming in for themed builds but I am having problems getting a group build out of most of them.

There are a few I have highlighted on MY list. Like wise there are some that have already been done and a few that are the same but with a different name...

Now we have had free reigns to come with all these wild ideas. I would like to take five or ten minuets of your time if I may:

I have a plan that looks a little like this.

I would like to try to get the Group builds to be more solidly defined. I still think back to the first ever group build and still think it was the best of the bunch. We built as a group Now I realise that this is not everyone's cup of tea. So I started the Special Interest builds to try and get this idea back. These very quickly became extra long "group builds".

Right then. We all like the idea that we have these builds and I will continue to set them up. However there will be a few changes:

1)The group builds as we know them now will continue but under the banner Themed builds.

2)The New Group builds WILL be pulled in to be more specific in their content.

3)The Special Interest Builds...I might be tempted to borrow a principle from an other forum, which many of us are also on. We know who we are...;) I am thinking of them running alone the lines of some one suggests a Special Interest build. IF and ONLY if there are a minimum of ten people that commit to joining in the build the section will be started, and the fun can begin. Its about tome for that big butt icon: BUT these builds should also be very specific. Not just "anything that was at the battle of the bulge".

More like: Build a leopard 2 mbt or any one of its variants. Or build two cars or motorbikes, one finished as a racer the other as a road version. You get the idea? Very specific.

Lets get the Special back into Special Group Builds.

4) I was rather taken by the idea of a weekend special. A problem I can see is that many of us are rather busy in the weekends, have shift work, or SWMBO has other plans for the weekend. So call it a one week wonder. Start any time between Sunday a.m and have it done finished Saturday PM. Local time to be fair to our colonial cousins.

Now you are all sitting there thinking 'his off his trolly, we will never be able to get all those in in a year'. Well I have a plan for that as well.

1) Themed builds will all be posted at the start of the year and you can build one or all, in any order you wish, just as long as you are done by the end of the year. This will enable all to have all the tie they need to get their bits together.

2) The Group builds will be posted one each quarter, as we know them now.

3) The Special Interest Builds, for as long as they are set to but 4 - 6 months should do it. If they go over the end of the Year, so be it. They will no longer be bound to the calender Year.

4) The one Week Wonders,.... well you can work that out I think.

So What are your thoughts on these suggestions?

Ian M

C

CDW

\ said:
Now you are all sitting there thinking 'his off his trolly,
Who ....... us ?????....... Nahh it's in your imagination :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Seems like this is it in a nutshell

\ said:
1) A list of themed builds will be posted at the start of the year ... to be completed in any order by "year end".

2) There will be four Group builds per year, one each quarter.

3) The Special Interest Builds will have a guideline of 4 - 6 months, this is not set in stone.

4) One Week Wonders, as and when issued throughout the year
\ said:
What are your thoughts on these suggestions?
At the end of the day you've added more possible builds to the calender, building is what we do on here so i can't see any problems.

next stage is getting a list sorted for each then eh? ...... you have my pity mate:smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm 16 viewing and one reply, this is either a sign that it will be easier than I thought, or you are all sitting there in shock....

Colin. Yes thats about it in a nut shell but not quite.

For the first, I will be doing not much more than I do at present. I will still have the preliminary rounds for the Themed builds to try and get the list sorted out as quickly as possible. Also the Group Builds will need suggesting and the four selected then the running order will need sorting out.

The Special Interest Builds will for all intents and purpose be up to you lot. You make the suggestions, I get the wonderful task of moderating them.

The one week wonders(OWW) will as you said be on an as and when basis. Someone posts the "lets have a OWW" and we will take it from there...

Ian M

First Name
Drew
That sounds like a plan (see some of us are paying attention).

I have no problems with it and hope to see some good ideas coming forward in the group build suggestions thread.

I think the fact that there are not many comments so far means that people are okay with it.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Yes, a plan indeed, but I have one little suggestion, I'm one of the above mentioned shift workers, and a slow builder to boot, one week isn't long for me. Two weeks, now that I could probably do and have more chance of joining in. but I will go with the majority decision. What do others think.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Tony, the original idea was a weekend build, so I think stretching it to a week is already a considerable increase. They are probably only going to turn up once in a while, so I think that at the moment, we will keep it at a week.

I hope you are right Drew.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's fine Ian, didn't think you'd want to extend it. Anyway, doing a OWW will give me more impartous to build instead if just thinking about it. Nothing too difficult mind.

Tony.

P

Polux

Hi Ian.

I have read your offers and ideas, are very good. I know I'm a newer member yet, and only I have done one GB... But I like your exposition. More definite, is better!

I believe that it's necessary to look for topics or tactics to join more the group. If you allow me to give an idea, probably it's not here the place, but I would like to share and waitting for others replays, debates.

Ok...here I go!

Create o(nce year) a "Battle Group".

I explain: to be concrete in a point of the history (steal and situation), for example the battle of the Ardennas. To look for 10 members (more or less) and create two groups. 10 specific vehicles of that battle, and distribute them, 5 german band and 5 alied band for the 10 members. It's necessary to have contact strictly between ourselves to choose, to comment and to choose each one a vehicle. It's more, this topic will join between us: all the same camouflage, numeration.... Even we can agree in a few measures standard on the base of wood to create all the same soil (mud, sand, asphalt ..).

Think that something like that or similar it does more work in group, the most important thing!!

Don't be, I wait for ideas!! I believe that we cannot leave alone Ian in this, friends!!

Ps: Perhaps I'm one of the most slower modeler here, but I love the idea of a week kit, I will enjoy in sure!

Regards

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I came up with a great idea, well I didn't really Ian asked me :smiling3:

For any group builds I am willing to offer discounts on kits used for the build, typically it will be 20% off RRP but it could be more as well as less so don't hold me to it :smiling3: due to the extra discount you wouldn't be able to use your shop loyalty points or receive them for the kit, but it you bought paints, washes etc at the same time then you would still get them for those bits.

All I ask is that when a group build is decided and everyone know what kits they want that we have a cut off date for orders, I have minimum orders I have to place with my suppliers.

P

phalinmegob

ian your ideas sound fine to me and i definatly like the idea of a one week wonder, and johns idea is fantastic

T

treyzx10r

I'm liking the idea ,a week build would be a stretch for me as I tend to get complicated kits for some reason;). I like the more 'specific' idea as well. I say give it a go and see what happens! Nice bone to throw us John thats very generous!

C

CDW

Very generous offer John .... i'll honour that when the time comes ... thank you.