ZULU! The Store House, Rorke's Drift.... January 1879

P

phalinmegob

wow, that is an amazing job there Ron. well done for having the patience for all those figures

P

Paul P

outstanding work Ron, I love the whole thing and the attention to detail is remarkable

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The build quality is excellent as always Ron, but the sheer number of figures involved convert it from a diorama into a story! Wonderful stuff!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dont really have the words to express my amazement at this.

It is a testament to you skills, patients and perseverance.

Absolutely wonderful.

0ne48thtel

Ron that is one amazing dio fair play mate the detailing is just mind blowing.

First Name
Aaron
Ron you absolute nutter, this piece belongs in a museum. I want to use swear words to describe how much I like this.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
'cos I don't use the 'doo dahs', preferring the more friendly written word, I want to thank each and everyone of you great people on here for the truly humbling comments you have posted about my model. Reading them has made all the eye rubbing, cussing, and even bin lid opening and, thankfully shutting, all worth while.....

My avatar sums it up - I raise my hat to you all.

Just to answer the couple of questions.....

Robert - Both the Zulu and British figures are the excellent Esci 1/72....'Plastic Soldier Review' is a great site for info on all 1/72 figures.

Misters Baker and Caine? Look at the bugler in the top centre, just below the ladder. Mr. Baker is by his left side...Mr. Caine is slightly down from him and forward, shooting a pistol...Both overacting!

Blair - How long to paint the figures? I honestly don't know, I would do a session using all the same colour ( say red) then lay off 'till my eyes could see again, then next session use a different colour. Doing the painting this way seemed to make the process quicker and easier some how.

Once again, thanks to all for your excellent posts. I appreciate them all.

Cheers,

Ron

D

Deleted member 4203

That makes a lot of sense to do it that way, a good tip worth noting. :D :smiling3: Thanks Ron ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great work Ron;) Yikes ! so many little ones to fuss about:eek: I would have pulled all my hair out long ago, again great job and unique subject matter.................Jim:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim, it's always good to read your encouraging comments on folks work.....

Ron

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just caught up on this one, excellent work and so much to look at. As someone said earlier it is worthy of a museum.

D

demon

\ said:
And on a side note....
Does anyone remember the Silk Cut Cinema ad from the 70s that was based on this event? Possibly the most offensive thing since the Black & White minstrels (apologies to anybody who had erased this awful era from their minds!!!).

oh, is that my coat there?.....
Yes I remember the silk cut add

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
brilliant job so much so that i watched the film the other day and you have captured the action top stuff

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Simply amazing Ron. A very extensive build, all those figures are very nicely done.

S

Stevekir

I love the huge number of figures. Lots of movement. I can almost hear the gunfire, shouts and general turmoil. Truly splendid.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant posts. Thanks one and all for the great comments.....

Roger, I'm glad you remember the ad.....Any thoughts about the dio.? ;)

T

T. van Vuuren

Brilliant build Ron, you have outdone yourself!

I would not have the patients to even attempt such an epic build like yours, well done!

Just for interest sake, the Impi woriors (Impi was a small fighting group)used a short stabbing spear with a long metal tip about 2' long and 3" wide called the "Iklwha" named after the sound it makes when a man is stabbed with it....this is how fierce a nation they were. The fight was up close and very personal.

If you feel like another dio of the same nature someday go look up the battle of Isandwala where the Zulus also kicked some "red coat" butt.....sorry I am a little biass LOL

Theuns

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much Theuns. I'm glad you like the model, especially so as you are from S.A. and obviously know your 'Zulu' stuff......

I appreciate your general info. about the Zulu weaponry etc.

I've read about Isandlwana...what a kicking we had. I don't think I'll be tackling another 'epic' for a while....my eyes are still hanging out of their sockets!

I don't know if it's true, but I read the Zulus who attacked Rorke's Drift took no part in the British Defeat at Isandlwana and were only one of the horns present on the day. Apparently the leader wanted some of the action, and disobeying orders took it upon himself to attack the mission.

Anyway, thanks again for all your input during the build.

Ron