1/12 Airfix Imperial Guard Grenadier

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
IMG_20200513_135450859_HDR.jpg

Since I have already deliberately broken my own rule of one job at a time, I may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb, as my mum used to say, and start another one.

Last week the highly esteemed Peter Day sent me a PM completely out of the blue and offered me this boy as a gift. I was quite gobsmacked and delighted, as it’s an idea I’ve been flirting with for a while.

That said, the idea of painting something so big is very frightening, although the making part should be fun.

I painted a lot of the Airfix 1/12 scale figures in my youth (although never this one) and I thought they were pretty good at the time. I would probably be a bit ashamed now.

Here is the sprue shot
IMG_20200516_150155058_HDR.jpg
This is clearly a clever use of the original master model for the 54mm Imperial Guard figure as it’s identical in every way, except for the breakdown of the parts, but that poses problems for me that I wouldn’t have worried about as a teenager.

Because it was originally designed to be pantographed down by 3 times there has been a lot of exaggeration or omission of details, such as the texture of the bearskin and lack of engraving on the buttons and insignia. I can’t bring myself to leave these things unaddressed in the context of today’s market, which has some absolutely exquisite sculpting.

Another issue is the constraints of injection moulding which has resulted in some quite extensive ‘back-fill’. It is hardly noticeable at 54mm scale but at 1-12 it will need to be sharpened up considerably.

So I started out by gluing all the major assemblies together, to see what I‘ve got and how much joint filling will be required.
IMG_20200517_200011765_HDR.jpg

Quite a lot, as you can see.

I started with the torso

IMG_20200517_200143370_HDR.jpg

The first thing to do was to find images of re-enactors which demonstrate how the real garments look, rather than illustrations.

I removed all the buttons and carved into the edges of the plastron (the front panel).It’s very exaggerated - at this scale it looks like it’s made of 1” thick foam rubber!

The buttons should be flat and have an eagle engraved on them. I haven’t quite decided how I’m going to deal with that yet. I engraved seam lines around the edges of the plastron and waistcoat, dremelled away depressions where the buttons would be pulling the fabric, and carved button holes. I also reduced the thickness of the waistcoat pockets.

IMG_20200518_104637272_HDR.jpg

The back had fewer issues although the turnbacks are also an ‘inch’ thick.

IMG_20200517_213326246_HDR.jpg

I thinned them down considerably, as in real life they appear to be totally stitched down.

The piping around the pocket flaps is way too thick so I removed that and thinned them down as well, as they too seem to be stitched down in real life. I will re-make the piping from 0.3mm solder wire. They don’t have button holes so they are clearly not actual pockets.

IMG_20200518_104438056_HDR.jpg

So this is where we are at the moment.

Thanks for looking in, and a MASSIVE thank you again to Peter Day, what a Gentleman!

Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

I knew you'd rise to this Neil, and what a fantastic start you've made. Making anything of it was way beyond my capabilities. I'm going to really enjoy watching him come to life.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I knew you'd rise to this Neil, and what a fantastic start you've made. Making anything of it was way beyond my capabilities. I'm going to really enjoy watching him come to life.
thanks very much Peter.
no pressure then ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice of Peter to send that Neil, I'm sure you'll weave your magic .

Taking a seat 2 mtrs from Peter so he can enlighten me to the finer points:smiling3:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A nice gift Neil.Shows a few thoughtful and kind folk exist still.Never built or owned an Airfix soldier kit.
Chair pulled up.
Richard

First Name
Jason
I can't get my head around 1/12... can we have a comparison pic so I can understand the scale... I watch with interest!
Jason.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Does this help?
Here he is with his 54mm ancestor
IMG_20200519_175634380_HDR.jpg
the squares on the cutting mat are 10mm

Most busts are around 1/9 or 1/10 scale, although some are 1/12. so if he was a bust he would be a bit smaller than most .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I worked on the legs today. Here is what we start with
IMG_20200518_160656117_HDR.jpg

I removed the buttons, sharpened up the edges , added seams, thinned down the boot soles. Then I added button holes, buttons and knee straps & buckles
IMG_20200519_175723646_HDR.jpg

His buckle needs a spike- I did one on the other side.

So that’s all for today

Thanks for looking in

Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh yes! - this is epic Neil. You're doing a great job.

I did actually buy a 1/12 academy bust so that I could replace the head on this. It's the one I used on the recent samurai bust.

Last edited by a moderator: