1/16 Finnish Officer, Winter War

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

725f2c62e8b1c6a25ae54df6cbd60a07.jpg

Having dug out Tamiya's slightly under par Wehrmacht officer figure, I had the idea that it might make a simple conversion into a Finnish army officer of the 2WW period. I've always had an interest in this particular conflict, especially after reading Robert Edwards 'The Winter War'. This is the kit:

100_5074.JPG100_5075.JPG

Finnish uniforms were as varied as the country's fortunes during this period, but some of the officer,s uniforms closely followed German patterns:

57092121eaefabd9e8e7020c6f1f30be.jpg

This is what I've come up with:

100_5078.JPG

I modified the tunic by removing the central panels from the lower pockets and removing the German insignia. I will paint on the appropriate collar tabs and make a Sam Brown cross-belt, to be added at a later stage. Equipment is a mix of German and Soviet items, and I've made him a puukko, a traditional hunting knife. The boots as they come are a bit too long and make the figure looks quite odd, so I took 5mm of the top of both.

The kit head is quite nice, and I wanted to use it, but unfortunately it's a bit small and I couldn't find headgear to fit. Instead, I've gone for a Verlinden fur-capped German, replacing the insignia with the Finnish roundel. I added the sweater collar for a better fit and to suggest the colder weather.

Fingers crossed......

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
The story of Finland's involvement in WW2 is very interesting. I have read a few books about the Winter War. I look forward to this.
Jim

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice choice and an interesting way to change a stock figure.

It looks like you should have fun painting, though I guess it will be field grey!

On the figure reference plate, the right middle with the 2 tone jodhpurs looks the most interesting for paint?

Slightly less pointed corners and leather built in chaps?

I'm not a horsey person , so apologises for using the wrong terms!

Should be a milder day, but still humid?

Its been wet and close up here with still more to come!

Have a good day with the paint and the head

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I was thinking of the jodhpur option. Can't find reference for the back view, but presume the leather comes up higher under the seat (not sure of the terms either - gusset perhaps? though that sounds a bit Les Dawson). Also found this reference:

92eef8e7fc2358dfd25be35da59ebef9.jpg

Think I'll go for the chap in the middle, a Jaeger officer. As you can see, light grey tunic, dark grey trousers and a skull and crossbones on the helmet - have dug out a new head.

Wet here, but set fair and warm for the rest of the week.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
looking interesting I'm really curios

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neal - The sweater was needed to get a good fit for the head, but I think it works.

I tried an couple of alternative heads in order to use a helmet, but neither worked out (as usual), so it was back to the first choice:

100_5080.JPG100_5081.JPG

Something a bit different from Verlinden, and quite hard to paint, with all those lines and wrinkles. He looks like he's seen a bit of action I think.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Nice modifications to the figure and a great start on the head.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great start, love the subtle semi transparent stubble, always makes the face look "lived in" if you know what I mean.

As or the eyes, squinting in the constant Arctic summer sun 24/7 would account for those.

Today should be fun with a different palette to work with.

Will there be time to paint?

Enjoy the trip to Brighton

Its Yorkshire day up her in the damp North.

Have a good day out

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Decided not to go to Brighton - not feeling that well, and there's the dog to consider. Also not keen on the idea of leaving my 17 year old son to destroy the house.

On to the tunic today and some fiddly collar tabs to paint - white lace on a green ground with gold pips - new brush methinks.

• Sad
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Me or the figure Ralph? I'm married you know :tongue-out3:.

The tunic:

100_5084.JPG100_5085.JPG

I started today with the collar tabs, which went OK - hopefully they look Finnish enough. The tunic was painted with Vallejo Basalt Grey, mixed with Matt Black and Off White for the shading.

D

Deleted member 4539

I do not understand the question :tears-of-joy:.
Married 30 years next April.
Nice work on the tunic:smiling3:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry Ralph - Joking that you were referring to my face. Congrats on on racking up so many married years.

Glad you like our man.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very nice indeed Peter :thumb2:
He Does have the face only a mother could love...... I mean the figure of course!:smiling4:

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Bit battered isn't he? I'm all for a bit of character.

Decided to make the Sam Browne:

100_5091.JPG100_5092.JPG100_5090.JPG

Paper and wire, as usual. Always a bit of a pain having to add outline shadows afterwards, and in this case, quite a lot of touching up to the tunic needed.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That does look the mutts Peter, you'd never know it was scratched.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Hope you caught up with the big day yesterday with the photos and videos?

Your figure is looking great, the stance and tilt of the head with the square jaw line is very reminiscent of the Italian dictator, Benzino Napaloni. LOL

The trousers/jodhpurs should be fun to paint today.

Looks like the weather is settling down at last, for most of us, that haven't been flooded!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H