1/250 USS St Louis ( CL-20 ) my first 3D printed model

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Printing the smaller parts isn't easy - a lot need supports ( the printer can't print in mid-air ), and removing these supports can be a real PITA, I've broken several, and had to reprint them, often in a different orientation, to see if the supports are easier to remove
DSCF4249.JPG
I was unsure about whether the propellers would work, but they turned out well. The two gun mounts on the bows and the stern are not good, I can't get them to clean up - I'm on my third attempt so far today. I think it's time to shut the printer down & make my dinner...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Now I've got enough of the bits to consider starting to paint some of the sub assemblies. This is the scheme I'm going for:
th-1325251086.jpg
Buff superstructure, wood decks, white upper hull over a dark red lower hull, separated by a thin black boot-topping.
It raises a minor problem................I'm used to smaller models, so I'm going to have to get some paint in rather larger quantities than I normally have, and priming that large hull will make inroads into the bottle, so I'll need more of that as well. I'll have to cobble up some larger cardboard boxes for a spray booth too! Another task further down the line, will be clearing my mantelpiece, as it's the only space that the model may be displayed!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I realised finally that this was a bit too much for me to attempt - it's too big, even though I scaled it down to 1/250 ( from 1/150 ). There are still over 100 parts, some of them in multiples, that I haven't even looked at, let alone printed. My enthusiasm for the new 3D printer carried me away..............
I will store the hull away. just in case I decide to pick it up again.
I'm starting to build something a bit less advanced - the Jaureguiberry in 1/350 & started a new build thread.
It's a case of running before I could walk & not thinking things through - all part of the learning curve with 3D printing!!!!
Sadder, but wiser
Dave