1/35 Trumpeter Panzerkampfwagen. VIII Maus Build

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That really is one where it’ll pay to leave the top plate loose, if you ask me. As you say, a lot would never be seen anymore otherwise.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow, that is great detail and a fabulous build so far.

First Name
Alex
Planned to make a full blog-build out of this but have been so engrossed building the damn thing I never got round to it.
So its underway, 3 days work and around 352 parts done out of 1613 - almost all interior done and starting work on the tracks and wheels.
Shame it doesn't come apart once built - so much detail is just unseen once complete.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 35
First Name
Alex
480 parts make the wheels. I sit a crumpled mess, hands cut and worn from constant cutting and filing. I have done 216 parts so far and the end is not in sight.

Attachments

• 144C8B2A-2BC6-4FA9-9A77-8159DD1AA337.jpeg
    144C8B2A-2BC6-4FA9-9A77-8159DD1AA337.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 29

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Something makes me think that if you don’t particularly need an interior in your Maus, you’d be far better off with the old Dragon kit …

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alex,
Nice work so far. One thing I didn't know that your interior shows me is that all though I knew it had electric motors I didn't realise was the amount of batteries nearly half the hull.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Planned to make a full blog-build out of this but have been so engrossed building the damn thing I never got round to it.
So its underway, 3 days work and around 352 parts done out of 1613 - almost all interior done and starting work on the tracks and wheels.
Shame it doesn't come apart once built - so much detail is just unseen once complete.
Can you not just leave the Hull unattached?

I did the Takom King Tiger with interior and simply didn't attach the Hull, it sits happily in place, and I just lift it off to reveal its interior.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I don’t know much about battery history, but as these were made in the days pre-plastic I would assume the cells were glass. A couple of sharp impacts and the crew would be ankle deep in sulphuric acid :surprised:

First Name
Alex
Can you not just leave the Hull unattached?

I did the Takom King Tiger with interior and simply didn't attach the Hull, it sits happily in place, and I just lift it off to reveal its interior.
I am planning to but the fit isn’t ‘quite there’ it leaves a gap on the front corner which will look a bit naff but oh well :/

First Name
Alex
One track has taken just under 3.5 hours. My soul is destroyed.
update forgot to add the 106 small pieces onto the track I thought was complete.. 4.5 hours and counting…

Attachments

• 3EBE011C-B3F9-48AF-B142-14CDC9CEA37B.jpeg
    3EBE011C-B3F9-48AF-B142-14CDC9CEA37B.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 14
  • E890CC8E-DE2D-4AE4-BD25-C3738D12FAA2.jpeg
    E890CC8E-DE2D-4AE4-BD25-C3738D12FAA2.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alex
That's some kit :rolling: With that many parts it's the equivalent to at least 3 'normal' kits! Interior looks very nice but as has been said it's a shame little will be seen. Well done with the track now just repeat.
Jim

Is it just my computer or are the first 4 posts on this thread out of sequence??

First Name
Alex
Hi Alex
That's some kit :rolling: With that many parts it's the equivalent to at least 3 'normal' kits! Interior looks very nice but as has been said it's a shame little will be seen. Well done with the track now just repeat.
Jim

Is it just my computer or are the first 4 posts on this thread out of sequence??

Yes it’s quite something.. and testing my patience no it’s out of sequence for me as well I think. Unless I’m posting stuff wrong I’m new to this.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The out of sequence posts are most probably the 'Internet Imp' having a mischievious joke. He is a close relative of the Carpet Monster who collects up and hides dropped model parts and the Glue Gremlin who tips over glue bottles, usually aiming very accurately for trousers, half built models and the carpet. Little rascals all who haunt modellers benches ;) :rolling:
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This is because Alex had posted this same thread twice in two different subforums, but the one here was a day or so after the other one. I reported the first thread to the moderators with the comment that it might be a good idea to merge the two by moving the replies. What happens when you do that, though, is that the posts end up in chronological order — making it seem like Tim and I replied before Alex posted anything at all. (The better way to merge these two threads would have been to move the replies from here to there, delete the remains of this thread, and then move the single remaining thread from there to here :smiling3: If the original hasn’t been completely deleted but only removed from view, then that is still possible: move all replies here to there, then delete this one, etc.)