1/4 Scale SE5a ( The Old Dutch )

S

Sky Raider

Hi Ian,

I brought this kit early last year and cant remember what i paid for it, you can find out if you take a look at the sight and request a price. D B Sport and Scale its not complete as you are right in asking, you need to purchase the engine, servos, radion gear, batteries fuel tank, Pilots are a real struggle to find in 1/4 scale. the cockpit interior and exhausts guns i intend to build from scratch. If you can afford it, it would be a real eye catcher but i wouldnt expect much change out of around £1000 by the time you have also added the covering and paint.

The wing span on this beauty is 88 inches.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice. Thanks for the prompt reply. The reason I asked about the price of the kit alone is because I have a few radios and servers laying around. the other bits can be got along the way. I will have a look at that link and see what there is to be found!!!

The last flyer I made was a control line job. It flew. Nuff said.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Nice hobby, nothing like free flying though. i also have a 1/4 scale tiger moth unopend in the workshop to.

S

Sky Raider

Well, now the ailerons are complete i had a tidy up and commenced work on the construction of the top Starboard wing, here is my progress of todays work. There are just a few bits to add then its on to the lower starboard section. Attention has to be paid closely to the part refs because it is the same drawing for top and bottom wings for this side and then the same again for the other. A mix up with parts would really screw up the build. Anyway, so far so good.

View attachment 26981View attachment 26985View attachment 26986View attachment 26983View attachment 26984View attachment 26979View attachment 26982View attachment 26980View attachment 26978

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 32856

View attachment 32857

View attachment 32858

View attachment 32859

View attachment 32860

View attachment 32861

View attachment 32862

View attachment 32863

View attachment 32864

Upper Starboard wing construction.jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (1).jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (2).jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (3).jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (4).jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (5).jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (6).jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (7).jpg

Upper Starboard wing construction (8).jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice tidy work there Andy. Any idea of the take off weight of such a machine?

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Not sure Ian, i will check through the instruction manual and let you know, as it is mostly frame i wouldnt imagine it would be much. Thanks for the kind words.

Andy

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi andy , first let me say how sorry i am to hear about your mum , ive only just caught up with this thread. I hope you and your family are ok and as the others have said the build will be a fantastic tribute and im sure it will be superb . Keep your chin up mate , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Andy looking great so far and very clean ,I've built several rc balsa kits and mine always look a mess. I've not seen the old 't' pins in a long time thats old school sweet!

S

Sky Raider

Thanks guys, for your kind words. Today hasnt been a good day, it was the day of Moms funeral and time to say my final farewell to the Old Dutch.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

A catch up of where we are now and a note on a few issues i found with the build. After saying goodbye to the Old Dutch i came home and collected my thoughts for a while and then went to work on the tribute, helps me a lot.

View attachment 27059

The Starboard wing is now complete and this is an inverted view,

View attachment 27060

There should be 4 Ply Covers for these wings and they are missing from the kit so i have had to cut up some other pieces that are provided. I will contact DB and let them know, they may send me the replacement sheet of ply im having to cut up for these.

View attachment 27061View attachment 27062View attachment 27063

Rigging adjusters. These were a total pain to fit, as you can see they are held in place with cable ties that pass through the laser cut ply pieces. The nightmare here was that the cable ties were thicker than the holes cut by the laser and i had to end up sanding the ties to make them thin enough to pass through the ply. There was lots of tugging and pulling with pliers to get them in but i managed finally after two hours to fit all 4. These cant be fitted until the wing is unpined from the board so you have no option to try and fit them first. I am well warned now and will make sure on the other three wing sections that i dremel them first and then check the ties flow freely before i glue them into position.

View attachment 27064

Just a view of the shaped leading edge.

View attachment 27065View attachment 27066

Here you can see the upright strut magnets that allow the struts to quickly drop into place, Very strong bond on these.

View attachment 27067

Here you can get a better view of the cable tie issue.

View attachment 27068View attachment 27069View attachment 27070View attachment 27071View attachment 27074

Here is the wing overview now its complete.

View attachment 27072View attachment 27073

And here is the method of fitting the wing section to the fuse, by applying pressure to the petruding metal strips that poke through the covering you can withdraw the metal link bars.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 32935

View attachment 32936

View attachment 32937

View attachment 32938

View attachment 32939

View attachment 32940

View attachment 32941

View attachment 32942

View attachment 32943

View attachment 32944

View attachment 32945

View attachment 32946

View attachment 32947

View attachment 32948

View attachment 32949

View attachment 32950

Inverted Wing.jpg

Ply cover.jpg

Rigging Adjusters.jpg

Riggint tensioners fixed.jpg

Riggint tensioners fixed (1).jpg

Shaped LE.jpg

Strut Magnets.jpg

Strut Magnets (1).jpg

Tied adjusters.jpg

Top over view.jpg

Top over view (1).jpg

Top over view (2).jpg

Top over view (3).jpg

Wing fastners.jpg

Wing Fastners 2.jpg

Wing Tip.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I hope that all went well today and that you are feeling OK.

That is some wing! Those ply covers, is that plywood covers, 4 off or is it 4 ply covers? And is it just the strip at the root of the wing? I would of thought that the wing would be fabric covered.

I like the idea of the magnets for the struts. I assume it is only the struts. I dont fancy the idea of the upper/lower wing being held together just by the magnets!

Nice work.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Hi Ian, thanks, the funeral went well, the service was a great tribute to her, i didnt hold up to well but im feeling much better now, thanks. The Plywood covers are there for protection of the fabric i guess, saves you putting your finger through it when you side the wing section on, not sure, just my hunch. The magnets are for the struts only but they are very strong. i have now atarted the lower Starboard wing and will have some pics shortly. the lower sections are easier according to the plan because you dont have so many anchors to fit.

Thanks again

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Andy good to hear it was a nice service and glad you're feeling better. I lost my Dad 2 years ago ,the sense of loss never really goes away but the good memories have helped me cope,wish you the best in this difficult time. The build is looking great !

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey, im sorry to hear about your Dad, i lost mine about 22 years ago, its kinda hard not having any parents, Mothers day was a bummer and this Saturday would have been Moms 80th Birthday, we were to plan a nice party for her.

All the best

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I lost my dad 30 years ago and still miss him. I drink a toast on his birthday and ask him what the weather is like down there!

With you on the ply wood now. If it was me I would go out to the first rib with it!

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Sorry to hear about your Dad to mate. It seems a crime to lose a parent when you are so young, i was only 25 when i lost mine.

I know what you are saying about the ply, cant see why they didnt say that in the plan, would make sense at this moment in time, perhaps later on we will all be in the clear as to why they only state half an inch.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Andy but I was 21 when he passed, I'm an old fart (51 on Monday) :laughing:

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Dont laugh mate, you are not that far in front of me lol

S

Sky Raider

Well with the Starboard upper wing complete it was time to build the lower... I didnt take many pics on this one as it is much the same as the top section apart from the split pins that connect the lower part of the upright struts and i installed the wing releases the opposite way up, im sure they should be this way for ease of locating when removing the wing. The instruction said to build the wing as the above section but didnt specify that these releases shouldnt be this way up. I dont think it matters much unless it obstructs the rigging set up. We will have to see and if so make adjustments.

The next move is to build the same again for the Port side before moving onto the centre section.

Ian, having checked with the manufacturer... the ply strips are only for ease of sticking the covering down, far easier than trying to tack to the root rib only apparantly.

View attachment 27180View attachment 27181View attachment 27182View attachment 27183View attachment 27184View attachment 27185View attachment 27186View attachment 27187

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 33034

View attachment 33035

View attachment 33036

View attachment 33037

View attachment 33038

View attachment 33039

View attachment 33040

View attachment 33041

Stargoard Lower wing.jpg

Stargoard Lower wing (1).jpg

Stargoard Lower wing (2).jpg

Stargoard Lower wing (3).jpg

Stargoard Lower wing (4).jpg

Stargoard Lower wing (5).jpg

Stargoard Lower wing (6).jpg

Stargoard Lower wing (7).jpg

T

treyzx10r

Andy looking awesome ,yep the 'cap strips' are for spreading the adhesion area over a wider surface. This also saves on construction weight versus 'D' tubing the leading edge as well and making for a more scale look. But then you probably already knew that lol. I did learn the hard way about this build technique as I lost an aircraft to wing flex, as the airspeed built up I ran out of aileron and rudder before I realized to throttle down and pull up! Post mortem revealed that the covering being 21 century fabric type versus monocoque allowed too much wing warp at high speeds.