1/4 Scale SE5a ( The Old Dutch )

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good Andy, tell me is the stuff you used, also textured or is it a smooth film?.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Hi Ian,

The one i have used does have a slight texture to it but you have to look closely to see it, you can feel it if you rub your fingers over it.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

More progress to report.

The tail skid section has now had the steering horn fitted, i will need to make some drastic modifications to this part. The skid section as you can see is made of ply laminated between 2 peices of balsa, one take off and one landing on our strip will grind it right down, a bit of a bad manufacture i would have thought, having a soft wood to run along the ground. I will buy or make a metal skid for her.

View attachment 27849 The skid section 402

The next part we have is the total assembly of the tail fin section inc rudder.

View attachment 27850

And now the good part, have started construction one the fuse.

View attachment 27851View attachment 27852View attachment 27853View attachment 27854View attachment 27855View attachment 27856

The only thing that worries me here is that 99% of this model build is balsa, wont take a hard landing i would have thought, there will be no room for error when landing.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 33625

View attachment 33626

View attachment 33627

View attachment 33628

View attachment 33629

View attachment 33630

View attachment 33631

View attachment 33632

Lower fin horn fited.jpg

Tail Section.jpg

Fuse 1.jpg

Fuse 1 (1).jpg

Fuse components.jpg

Fuse components (1).jpg

Fuse components (2).jpg

Fuse components (3).jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is going to be one impressive aircraft when she is finished. You can really get an idea of the size of her now.

And no you can never have to many clamps. I think I have almost sixty! Most are spring type and 20 of the mini sash clamps They are pretty handy them!

The tail skid: Could you not give it an edging made from brass or ally? Then is only that which will need replacing once in a while.

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sky Raider

I can't agree more Ian, now i have moved up a scale from 1/6 to 1/4 i think i better go get some more lol. You are right about the size Ian. Its only when you get into this part of the build you realise just how big it is, this is only the lower half of the fuse so its going to look even bigger very soon. Really enjoying this build.

Thanks

Andy

S

Sky Raider

The build is progressing well now and it will soon be time to work on some scale detailing. The stringers have now been added and the in fills inserted. Now you can get a real feel for the size of this project.

View attachment 27975View attachment 27976View attachment 27977View attachment 27978View attachment 27979View attachment 27980

Some of the in fills have to be reinforced, so scrap balsa is used to frame out the under sections that have to be flushed.

View attachment 27981View attachment 27982View attachment 27983View attachment 27984

The next stage of the build as per the instructions is to fit the tail section. I have decided to leave this a while so that it is easier to handle the frame on the bench without any damage to the tail section. The frame still has to be turned over and handled quite a bit yet and the tail will only cause problems. One of the jobs i want to do that the instructions dont tell you is to smooth over the whole frame and make everything nice and flat, take out pertrusions and in fill any gaps and low spot inperfections. it wouldnt be easy with the tail section fitted.

Having made this decision the next part is to build is the radiator grill, this is done by lamination quite a few peices and then sandind the profile when finished. you can see from the section drawing how these layers are formed. This is an addition to the kit. The kit comes with a standard sort of arrangement but i opted for the scale version as indicated on the box.

View attachment 27985View attachment 27986View attachment 27987View attachment 27988View attachment 27989View attachment 27990

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 33740

View attachment 33741

View attachment 33742

View attachment 33743

View attachment 33744

View attachment 33745

View attachment 33746

View attachment 33747

View attachment 33748

View attachment 33749

View attachment 33750

View attachment 33751

View attachment 33752

View attachment 33753

View attachment 33754

View attachment 33755

Stringers and fuse.jpg

Stringers and fuse (1).jpg

Stringers and fuse (2).jpg

Stringers and fuse (3).jpg

Stringers and fuse (4).jpg

Stringers and fuse (5).jpg

Infills.jpg

Infills (1).jpg

Infills (2).jpg

Infills (3).jpg

Radiator grill.jpg

Radiator grill (1).jpg

Radiator grill (2).jpg

Radiator grill (3).jpg

Radiator grill (4).jpg

Radiator grill (5).jpg

C

CDW

This build just looks so clean and tidy .. even with all the little extra steps you're taking !!!

Knowing little about "wooden builds" ... I honestly thought we'd be a long time till we saw this much progress.

Kudos to you :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Colin. I must admit it is moving faster than i thought it would.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well i progressed today with the finishing of the radiator grille. Once all of the slats have been put together i moved onto the mesh and then the sanding to form a more realistic profile. At this point it is suggested to glue in the slats but i thought it would be nightmare to paint them so i will fix them in after i have painted the housing and mesh. It has turned out quite good and i am really pleased with the finished outcome.

View attachment 28013View attachment 28014View attachment 28015View attachment 28016View attachment 28017View attachment 28018View attachment 28019View attachment 28020View attachment 28021

The engine needs to be fitted before the radiator so that you can work out the mesh cut out. With the engine layed on the plan i am able to measure the height for the mounting rails. Because this is a wide engine bay i have decided to get some sort of plate to span the rails and provide a good support.

View attachment 28022View attachment 28023

As you can see from the plan, once the exhaust is fitted there needs to be some modification to the rear wall of the engine compartment. As im in this area and the build is complete apart from fitting the sections together and covering i have decided to start some scale detail starting with the engine compartment. The whole compartment will be lined out with Lytho Plate with lots of scale detail then i will move on to the cockpit detail. This part will take quite some time if im to do a real good jaw dropping job.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 33776

View attachment 33777

View attachment 33778

View attachment 33779

View attachment 33780

View attachment 33781

View attachment 33782

View attachment 33783

View attachment 33784

View attachment 33785

View attachment 33786

Radiator grill finishing.jpg

Radiator grill finishing (1).jpg

Radiator grill finishing (2).jpg

Radiator grill finishing (3).jpg

Radiator grill finishing (4).jpg

Radiator grill finishing (5).jpg

Radiator grill finishing (6).jpg

Radiator grill finishing (7).jpg

Radiator grill finishing (8).jpg

Engine mounting.jpg

Inc Exhaust.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Andy mate , im amazed every time i look at this thread! The detail and complexity of this is mindboggling, its going to be a beautiful job ,keep it up matey ,were all with you. cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

Hi Tony, thanks for your kind words. I think progress will slow down now until i have scaled out the engine bay and cockpit.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ok then That ruler was 18 inches long and is dwarfed by the fuselage. Just how long is it again?

The radiator looks like it was a real fiddle the get together.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Hi Ian,

Im not sure on the length, i havent measured it yet. If i remeber i will do it tomorrow and let you know, as you have guessed it is quite long. The radiator grille was a bit of a tricky job but the hardest part was shapeing it to look like the real thing.

Cheers

Andy

T

treyzx10r

What a lumber yard! Looks great Andy what size 4stroke is that ?

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey, quite a but of timber there lol, The engine is a Saito 180, a nice piece of engineering.

Cheers

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
This part will take quite some time if im to do a real good jaw dropping job.Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,I've been following your progress and I can assure you that my jaw dropped a long time ago! Really great stuff and unbelievably rapid progress.

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

\ said:
I can assure you that my jaw dropped a long time ago!
I completely agree ....

the scale. the detail, the care and attention (and the sentiment and reason) of the build .... i'm not normally impressed easily but this has me riveted.

S

Sky Raider

Hi Steve, im glad you are impressed, due to the nature of this build i want every part of it to be perfect in every way. Thanks for the kind comments. Thanks to you to Colin, i assure you guys that this will be my best ever creation yet. Please stay tuned for more.

Thanks again.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Been busy tonight reinforcing the engine bay and making a mounting plate out of paxalin. i did take some pics but i will upload them when i have a few more. The main reason for this post was to answer Ians question as promised, how long is the fuse?. Well the metal rulers i have wouldn't even touch it, so it was out with the tape measure. She stacks up to an amazing 70", doesnt look that long sitting on the bench but once complete and standing on her nose it will soon become clear just how long she is.

Cheers

Andy