1/48 Arii P-40E Warhawk

B

Brickie

OK folks, here goes my first stab at 1/48 with this kit I brought back from Japan.

Here's what's in the box. And, the box.

View attachment 37222View attachment 37223View attachment 37224View attachment 37225View attachment 37226View attachment 37227

Note that the box and the insert give options for US and British models, but only the US decals are actually included...

View attachment 41423

View attachment 41424

View attachment 41425

View attachment 41426

View attachment 41427

View attachment 41428

P-40 001.jpg

P-40 002.jpg

P-40 003.jpg

P-40 004.jpg

P-40 005.jpg

P-40 006.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Looking forward to this build Brickie,nice upgrades going on there! Good luck with the pe

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks interesting Brickie. Will watch with interest.

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
Looks a nice kit.I've had lots of fun with tiny PE parts myself!.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I really like the P40, it just looks right. A bit of a so so aircraft, but a great model.

Colin M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Matt,

Looks like a nice build you got there.

Don't know if you have seen this site but there are some nice pictures of Russian P40's

Lend-Lease on airforce.ru

I'll watch with interest.

Tony.

First Name
Chris
Hi Matt,

I'm currently building an Academy AVG P-40 but also want to do a later model so shall watch your posts with interest. Also for reference SAM (Scale Aircraft Modelling Magazine) had a nice feature in the October Issue of allied aircraft lend leased to the Russians with some nice illustrations of P-40's, P-36, P-47, Spits, Hurricanes, might be worth a look as there are some quite nice schemes.

Regards

Chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice matt, the decal thing seems to be a common thing with these otaki/arii kits. Ive got the Ki 61 and the decal sheet doesnt match the full colour markings sheet and neither of them are the same as the box lid illustration!!! The p40 is going to look great in soviet markings , im looking forward to seeing it , cheers tony

B

Brickie

Wow, all these eager people. Suppose I'd better get started...

Um, quick question actually. I'm assuming that the interior would still be US interior green? I can't see them respraying those bits as well...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi matt, yes the interior would still be the same, in many cases the exterior colours were left in the parent countrys colours too , the only alteration being in national markings. Of course there were times aircraft were re-sprayed in soviet colours as well , so good research definitely helps. cheers tony

B

Brickie

The sheet that came with the decals shows the a/c concerned in two-colour green/brown camo which I think is Soviet applied - in fact, it also gives colour refs for the lighter-coloured circles over the US markings!

Hmm. A look around the web suggests that there is no single such thing as "US interior green", especially with Curtiss aircraft who seem to have made it up as they went along! The cockpit's small enough and will hopefully be covered in enough PE kibbles & bits that I'm not going to fret overly about matching the colour and just use my trusty Tamiya IJN Interior Green.

B

Brickie

By the way, what's the profanity policy around here? I may need to swear, looking at the teeny bits on that PE sheet...

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Brickie

This link might be of interest to you if you scroll to nearly the bottom of the page it gives reference to the interior colour of the Curtis Warhawk Camouflage & Markings: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 (Part II) hope this helps.

Vaughan

B

Brickie

Very useful, thanks. So interior green with a smidge of brown in the mix.

B

Brickie

I really will start at some point soon. Attempting to put the finishing touches to my Group Build Hampden for UAMF, I turned into Klutzy McFumblefingers and knocked off 2 Vickers K guns and a prop blade trying to peel the masking off the glazing.

I figured "Klutzy McFumblefingers" didn't mix too well with teeny Photoetch parts so I decided to leave well alone and go carve up some Darkspawn instead...

Last edited:
B

Brickie

Finally made a start last night - folded up the photoetch seat and stuck it to the backboard, glued the engine together and attached the engine bulkhead to the floor plate.

Photos to follow.

B

Brickie

... and then my finished cockpit just before closing up. Realised too late that the image isn't great but it gives you the idea.

View attachment 37473

The Eduard Zoom kit didn't fit the ARII very well, being designed for the Hasegawa kit which has a cockpit tub separate from the fuselage sides. However, the seat, IP and (coming later) seatbelts look good, even if I did have to do a bit of carving away of plastic to get it to close around the larger IP...

View attachment 37472

And as you can see, the fit continues to be less than brilliant. Will have to fill that gap behind the seat with something.

View attachment 41650

View attachment 41651

P-40 013.jpg

P-40 012.jpg