1/48 Arii P-40E Warhawk

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cockpit looks great matt, airframe doesnt seem too bad, nothing a smudge of filler wont sort. I didnt realise this kit has a seperate engine too, are you going to have the panels off and display it? cheers tony

B

Brickie

I'm contemplating making a little dio if I can get hold of some 1/48 Soviet ground crew. ICM do a box, I think, so maybe after Christmas.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes they do a couple of different sets, sometoimes you can get them included in a boxing with an aircraft for not much more money. cheers tony

B

Brickie

I think their Spit Mk VIII has them in, but I've no real interest in building a Spit Mk VIII ...

However, I need to do a bit of an order from a model shop in Poland who can supply proper Polish Khaki, and they carry the ICM ground crew figures pretty cheaply, so I might tag them onto the order to make the postage worthwhile. And maybe some nice winged lancers while I'm there.

B

Brickie

Thanks - not bad for a first go with Photo-Etch anyway!

bunged the wings on last night as well, so I'm about ready to start the filling and sanding.

B

Brickie

I'm still at PSR stage at the moment, so not a lot to report except that Citadel's new Liquid Green Stuff is the biz...

B

Brickie

Managed to get a bit more done last night - added undercarriage struts and painted interior green into the wheel wells and the inside of the fairings before these get glued on.

The wheel wells are entirely devoid of detail and I thought about scratching at least some ribs, but I figure it's going to go on a base and not be looked at from underneath particularly so I didn't really bother.

I'm now considering what camo colours to do. The instructions that came with the decal set show dark green/dark earth with lighter-coloured bits where the RAF markings have been painted out, so I need to find a decent Dark Earth brown without having to do a lot of mixing.

B

Brickie

Jobs to do before I can start painting:

- add cockpit canopy and mask it (I'm posing it open but will tape the mid-section into place so it gets the same paint treatment)

- add PE gunsight and handle on the tailfin

- add undercarriage fairing and tail-wheel stalk.

- take some photos and upload them :smiling3:

J

James Q

Looking good so far the PE has made alot of difference for the cock pit looks very nice.

B

Brickie

T

treyzx10r

Matt its lookin' good. As far as weathering I usually give mine a wash and follow up with pastels . There are a lot of good threads on the site about techniques for this, use the search function and you'll be neck deep in ideas.cheers Trey

B

Brickie

Main decals are on, I'm just putting off the incredibly fiddly looking stencils!

One thing I have noticed about AM decals is that they are really fragile. I managed to shred two red stars and my originally-planned code number by soaking them in water that had cooled a bit too much. As it is, the upper-wing red stars are a bit see-through and there's a marked difference in colour where the underlying camo changes. I may have to get the red paint out and go over them.

B

Brickie

Meanwhile, work has begun on the display base - more details to follow...