1/48 Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai(George)

T

treyzx10r

I started this with a dry fit seems to be up to the usual good Has fit

This is going to be a gear up build and the doors are close but do require some trimming of the inboard doors(marked in red)

also required sanding away the interior details to get them to lay flush

The interior color is MM RAF green with an overspray of Tamiya transparent blue acrylic

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Trey looking good so far.

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
I like your trick with the cockpit paint.Havent built a Jap aircraft myself for a long time.But im tempted to do one after seeing your latest couple of models.If only to have a go at the paint chipping finish.

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan,Dave thanks. Dave I like the chipping paint of these subjects as well its quite fun! Made some progress ,the flaps are going to be 'up' so some cutting away was required but nothing major

and fit was good

office is done ,did'nt get crazy as most of it wo'nt be seen

S

Sky Raider

Top marks mate, up to your usual high standard... fantastic cockpit mate.

Cheers

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Ian,Andy thanks appreciate the kind words

I'm almost ready for some paint

First Name
Dave
Coming along nicely Trey.This aircraft looks very similar to the Zero.Are you going for the chipped paint effect on this one?.

A

AJay

Another 'George!' Look forward to seeing how you paint him. Just recently I saw one in trainer orange, but that's not everyones' cup of tea.

T

treyzx10r

Dave thanks ,yes its getting some chipping but not as heavy as the zeke was. Alex thanks I really like the paint on yours ,pretty cool to have the George twin builds going on lol! I'm going with 701st /343 sqdrn grp Oshibuti's 'C' bird.

I've got the silver base down .

heres a pic of aircraft 'A' .I'll be doing 'C' sqdr ldr Oshibuti's aircraft

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice Trey,as always. These Japanese aircraft look the business,even when a bit tired and distressed. I shall be watching your weathering with interest.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Steve yea the more' beat up' the better with these ,not going as crazy with this one as the ref pics I've been able to find show the paint to be mostly intact ,maybe more attention to sun fade and everyday wear and tear .I spent some extra time masking off 3 different shades of metalizer,stainless,magnesium and aluminum plate. Then I used the grey green on the flight controls. Hopefully this will break it up a bit and give it some depth in the finish

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Trey the shades of metal look great. Just a question why are you using the grey green on the flight controls?

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
Very nice Trey the shades of metal look great. Just a question why are you using the grey green on the flight controls?Vaughan
Thanks,the ref pics I've found show this as being one of the colors used , The top of course will be painted over with the darker green. Different bird but same basic scheme

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Showing my ignorance of Japanese things here! Were the flight controls fabric covered? That might explain the different treatment.

Late war German aircraft often had painted,metal,ailerons etc even when the rest of the underside was left unpainted (as per official directives) because they came from sub-contractors who still had paint stocks and were still painting their components.

Anyway,you've got a great NMF there,seems a shame to paint over it.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Ian. Steve you're correct they're fabric as were most Japanese aircraft. The nmf will stay on the bottom,geuss its like detailing a office that wo'nt be seen when the build is complete,but we know its there;)

T

treyzx10r

I did the salt method again,little more suttle this time compared to the Zeke. Here it is start to finish

First Name
Dave
The salt chipping looks very good.I suppose the trick is not to over do it.This looks just right to me.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very well done! Say no more.

Cheers

Steve