1/48 Scale - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1

H

hoggatt

Finished work early today so i took a run out to the modelshop, and picked up this 1/48 Scale - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1.

It was £19.50, also picked up some Tamiya finishing paper and some more Tamiya Fine Primer (white), (i used to use grey but they didn't have any)

Also they no longer sell Vallejo Paints, which i want to try out so ill get them from ScaleModelShop.

This is going to be a slow project due to me having to buy some new stuff etc, so apologies in advance.

Here is the content of the box, now to convert these Tamiya Paints into Vallejo ..:computer:

Shane

View attachment 45491View attachment 45492View attachment 45493View attachment 45494View attachment 45495View attachment 45496View attachment 45497View attachment 45498View attachment 45499View attachment 45500

View attachment 48578

View attachment 48579

View attachment 48580

View attachment 48581

View attachment 48582

View attachment 48583

View attachment 48584

View attachment 48585

View attachment 48586

View attachment 48587

P1000294.jpg

P1000295.jpg

P1000296.jpg

P1000297.jpg

P1000298.jpg

P1000299.jpg

P1000300.jpg

P1000301.jpg

P1000302.jpg

P1000303.jpg

C

Cooperman69

Shall be watching with interest mate as I've got the kit under my bed at the moment :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's supposed to be a very nice kit and you can't have too many Spitfires.

Rather than converting from manufacturer to manufacturer it might be worth seeing if Vallejo do the principal colours. Dark Earth,Dark Green and Sky.

I expect one of the members here will know for sure.

Cheers

Steve

H

hoggatt

Thanks, im looking forward to getting started.. for anyone that wishes to no i have used a convertion chart and these are my results although some came back with multiple results :/ ..

Any help from people regarding what i will need will be appreciated.. i seen a few people talk of vallejo's interior green for the interior?.

shane

Tamiya Number | Vallejo model colour number | Vallejo Model Air Number

View attachment 45504

View attachment 48591

P1000304.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you go for Model Air you can get the colours Steve said as I believe they are standard. They even do a box set WWII Bristish Aircraft Colors RAF & FAA

Model color is a different ball game. You will not get an exact match, but you can get quite close.

Ian M

H

hoggatt

My Brain Hurts haha..

thanks ian, ill look into that cheers

shane

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks very promising. It'll be nice to see this one turn out.

B

Boldman

Thats a very nice kit - I built one last year as part of my Battle of Britain diorama here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/12446-1-48th-scale-battle-britain-diorama.html

View attachment 45507

It goes together well and looks the business.

View attachment 48594

DSCF4189.jpg

H

hoggatt

That looks brilliant mate. Doubt mine will look as good as that but ill give it my best shot :smiling3:

Shane

D

DavidCee

I thought I'd add my thruppence worth and suggest you might find some help here ---> Model Master color chart - Model paint database <--- seems to cater for a variety of paint schemes... I too have some Spitfires secreted away including the Airfix Club variant... not going to attempt that until I get my skills up to scratch!

H

hoggatt

Quick question guys, as it's really bugging me.. The oxygen bottles in the cockpit my instructions say it's the green colour but when looking at other people's models some have done them green some have done them silver/metal color .. Does anyone know if they should be green or silver, I have looked about but can't reply tell so would like a second opinion,

Cheers

Shane

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Which bottles do you mean? There were oxygen bottles and compressed air bottles.

The two big bottles behind the seat on the port side are compressed air and were usually silver (occassionaly grey). These were charged from an engine driven pump and powered the pneumatic system which notably operated the landing flaps and brakes,but importantly fired the guns and raised and lowered the landing lamps.

The oxygen bottle was black and on a MkI was on the starboard side,again behind the seat,positioned horizontally.

This is from a MkII manual,essentially the same as the MkI as far as such fittings go.

It was definitely moved further back on later Marks.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hoggatt

Hi Steve, sorry for my lack of knowledge, and thanks for your help, i have took a pic of the instructions, which say oxygen bottles.. on if im correct the port side?.. I didn't get the colour instruction on the photo but it states the mix which is the interior green,

cheers

shane

View attachment 45535

View attachment 48621

P1000307.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi again Shane,don't apologise,that's the whole point of the forum,to help each other out.

Those are definitely the compressed air bottles,which I would paint an aluminium/silver colour

They've mis-identified them and given the wrong colour!

This is the oxygen bottle. This is a MkV,I think it moved back on the Mk IX, and the seat has been removed for this photo.

Also the interior grey/green colour should only go back as far as the frame at the rear of the last clear cockpit section. That's the frame just behind those bottles. Behind that would again be aluminium/silver so they got that wrong too. Luckily it is virtually invisible behind that frame.

What do they give for the wheel wells?

When a MarkI left the factory the wheel wells were either aluminium/silver (if considered an internal surface) or the original undersurface colour (if considered external). Noone can say for sure which was which so you are in "prove me wrong" territory. One thing they were not was the grey/green cockpit colour.

When undersurface colours were changed,for example from Black/White to Sky aircraft already in service were sprayed at the squadrons,on their wheels,and it is unlikely that they would have wasted time masking the wheel wells so anything is possible.

If you have a serial number for your subject (the small code infront of the horizontal stabiliser on both sides of the fuselage) we can look up when your aircraft was delivered to a squadron and make an educated guess as to what might have happened. Otherwise just make a guess!

You'll never just follow the instructions again :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Typical Tamiya (Far east for that matter) Make great kits but are rather Naff at things like instructions and paint guides.

Ian M

B

Boldman

Yes, those are the compressed air bottles, not the oxygen bottle. I've just checked the instructions from the kit I built last year and it looks like this kit doesn't have the oxygen bottle present. It usually sits on the other side behind the seat - you can see it here on someone else's build of the 1:32 Tamiya Spitfire VIII

H

hoggatt

Thanks Steve, I have change it on the instructions, I was really bugging me haha, as for the interior I will just do it the green colour, like you say it won't be noticeable on this build but interesting to know for future builds..

And yes Ian I agree, the kits are fantastic, but they list the paints at the top of the first page, but when you look through the instructions there are some they didn't state, good job I checked before I started ordering the paints lol.

Cheers guys,

Shane

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't think that the oxygen bottle would have been there on a Mk VIII. The Mk V (so presumably some early Mk IXs which started out as Vs) was the last to have it there. I have a Mk IX manual and the oxygen bottle is shown three frames further back,in front of the battery and,somewhat alarmingly,the upward firing flare chute.

Maybe Tamiya got that wrong too.

Cheers

Steve