1/48 Scale - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1

H

hoggatt

cheers guys,

steve, thanks for the picture and stuff i just seen them,

Im going to be "attempting" the No.610 squadron, serial No. L1043, DW(O)O i was just going to do it the green colour, would be nice to do as much the same as i can but this will be my first model that i really done, ( other than being a child which was no good lol) they dont state any colour for the wheel wells haha, on the side picture it dont state and the wheels are down then on the picture for the underside the wheels are up .. but the back plate behind the wheel states xf-21, sky

picture kindly borrowed from scalemodelshop.

i built these bits up yesterday and today i applied the primer, just awaiting some paints from john (great service by the way ) so will post some more when i have them,

thanks again guys

shane

View attachment 45536View attachment 45537View attachment 45538View attachment 45539View attachment 45540

View attachment 48622

View attachment 48623

View attachment 48624

View attachment 48625

View attachment 48626

P1000311.jpg

P1000312.jpg

P1000313.jpg

P1000314.jpg

P1000315.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
L1043 was from an early batch of Spitfire Mk Is. It was built by Supermarine at Eastleigh (Southhampton) and first flew on 3/7/39. It went to 19 MU on 7/7/39 where it would have been marked as per Fighter Command regulations. The underside would have been half black and half white.

It was sent to 610 Squadron on 6/12/39 and moved on to 266 Squadron on 18/6/40.

On 9/9/40 its front line carreer ended as it went to 7 OTU and then on to various training units. It hit a tree on approach to Hawarden on 12/8/41 and must have been terminally damaged as it was struck off command on 18/8/41. It would have been broken up for spares/scrapped.

The order to repaint the undersides of fighter command aircraft in the new colour Sky was sent out on 7/6/40. It caused a lot of confusion. This clarification was issued on the same day.

Due to a lack of the new colour aircraft already in service were allowed to continue in the earlier scheme for a period.

These dates mean that your aircraft was at 610 Squadron (about to move on,they wouldn't have known that) when the order came through. It's probable that the squadron repainted the underside. There was a lot of confusion at the time about what exactly the new colour was. Some units mixed their own version,some mistakenly applied Sky Blue and some just waited for supplies.

Either way L1043 was repainted at unit level so it is likely that the wheel wells and insides of the gear doors were not masked and received a coat of the new colour too.

Cheers

Steve

B

Boldman

...and ^^^this is why we love the forum so much, there are some experts out there with an astonishing level of detailed information at their fingertips :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I take no credit for the documents.

They are some of the many dug out of our National Archives by Edgar Brooks whom I readily credit and who really is knowledgeable about the Spitfire.

Cheers

Steve

H

hoggatt

steve again many many thanks.. this is such helpfully information, although no i feel more pressure to get the colour correct, but good to know that there was changes made and some mixed there own etc etc,

and that document help.. i like the version with the sky underside, and looking at the vallejo air they do a Duck Egg Green so i think i will get that for it, also i just checked the instructions and that states componants inside the wheel doors are the same sky color as well as the wheels..

thanks again mate.

shane

View attachment 45580

View attachment 48660

P1000318.jpg

H

hoggatt

hey guys, spent the evening doing some painting.. after some troubles with the airbrush i came in for a while before i through at the wall haha.. anyway i got it working painted the interior green parts, and painted the pilot, they picture show the colours different in different pictures due to the light... but you get the picture,

i just sat the pilot into the seat for the picture still need to do some painting to the seat area and attach his hand to the controls.

im quite please with the pilot :smiling3:

Steve quick question mate, on the instrument panel the instruction say to paint the 6 dials (square section) black, shouldnt the whole panel (the semi circle ) be black and the lower half green ?

cheers guys

shane

View attachment 45623View attachment 45625View attachment 45624View attachment 45622View attachment 45626View attachment 45627

View attachment 48702

View attachment 48703

View attachment 48704

View attachment 48705

View attachment 48706

View attachment 48707

P1000333.jpg

P1000335.jpg

P1000336.jpg

P1000338.jpg

P1000339.jpg

P1000340.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking pretty good.

The instrument panel, with all the dials on should be black, the bottom part with the big hole in it is green. that little round thing that hangs down from the top should be silver (well clear actually as its glass).

That pilot figure looks good too. I thought you said you couldn't paint figures.

Ian M

H

hoggatt

cheers ian,, i will do that then..

and thanks. its the first figure i have painted :smiling3:

Shane

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep,Like this from a Spitfire V.

The bit Ian described "dangling" is the compass and would of course have a glass top.

Cheers

Steve

H

hoggatt

cheers steve would the colours be the same as that ? like the colours around the dials etc ..?

shane

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job. The pilot looks really good, a little like James May !!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good progress, everyone loves a Spitfire. Those documents regarding the undersides are very interesting.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
cheers steve would the colours be the same as that ? like the colours around the dials etc ..?shane
They would. The centre panel is the "blind flying panel" and self evidently holds the flight related instruments. To the right are the engine's instruments (temperature gauges,engine speed etc). To the right is a clock,brake pressure gauge and various positional indicators (for trim,U/C etc).

Note that the control panel picture I posted has a different compass installation.A 1940 compass looked like this (I think it is missing a ring around the top but I'm not sure).

Cheers

Steve

H

hoggatt

hey guys, quick update on what i been doing tonight, i have painted up the cockpit sides, attached the pilot to the seat, still need to connect his hand up to the controls, also i airbrushed the black panel and added some detail to the dials, im pretty happy with it, especially for my first model :smiling3:

cheers guys

shane

View attachment 45682View attachment 45684View attachment 45683View attachment 45681

just to add, i have now fitted the instrument panel

View attachment 45685View attachment 45686

View attachment 48754

View attachment 48755

View attachment 48756

View attachment 48757

View attachment 48758

View attachment 48759

P1000364.jpg

P1000345.jpg

P1000347.jpg

P1000350.jpg

P1000367.jpg

P1000369.jpg

Last edited:
B

Buttonman

If you have a Android phone there's a free app i use all the time it's called "Hobby Colour Converter" it converts the big 4.

Tamiya, Revell, humbrol and Vallejo, Tap on the paint on the phone XF1 = Hum 33 = rev 36108 = Vall = 71057 .

It even gives you the RLM and RAL numbers.

Martin

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I do mask and fit the canopy. You want it to blend in and not look added on. You need to not only mask the clear panels but,on a Spitfire,make sure no paint can get in under the centre,sliding section. A thin bead of Blu_tac,around the inside edges of that bit,will be your friend.

I tend to leave off exhausts,undercarriage,tail wheels and other fragile bits like pitot tubes as they have a bad habit of getting broken off. These I glue on before the final coat of varnish.

Antenna and IFF wires I do right at the end.

Cheers

Steve

H

hoggatt

Thanks martin, I don't have a. Android phone but interesting to know,

Cheers steve, ill do that then, this is the link part Im not looking forward to, don't want to ruin it, oh and them great paint instructions that come with it state two different colour mixes for the lighter part of the camo, I'm guessing one is a typo :

The Centre sliding section, will be glued in place so no paint should leak under? Or am I not understanding correctly?

Shane

Last edited: