1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm running out of superlatives Richard. This is such an epic build. Certainly one of my favourites this year. Keep it coming my friend

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys, there was a bit of a hiccup...forgot to renew so was locked out.

Jim, actually with reading glasses at 2.5 magnification they look like 1/35th scale. The only difference is you handle the parts with tweezers instead of fingers.
Steve, I'm ok with a simple nice, glad it's one of your favorites. This build has been a bit long in the tooth and needs finishing and what better time than in a lockdown.

Anyway her's some updates I did on Sunday...not everything is on the dio, this time I've done a little on the Hatsuyuki...

80.jpg

Ron will have a field day about the masking for airbrushing but the funny thing is I rather enjoyed it this time...wierd. :smiling2:

81.jpg

After all the spraying, the tape is off. The upper structures are temporary fitted.

82.jpg

Too clean...must bring out the hairy brush for weathering...

83.jpg

Top shot showing the linoleum and metal decking...

84.jpg85.jpg86.jpg

Close up show my masking to be not prefect but these will be covered with washes and dry brush highlights.

87.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
Sorry I haven't caught up for a while this looks excellent in particular the roofs.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No worries Scottie, you've got a heck of a build going on there. Thanks, ya the roof were eye numbing for a while. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I got onto the Hatsuyuki 'cos I was in two minds to remove the huge cantilever crane. While looking for reference I found that there weren't that many of these and were built specifically for servicing British capital ships with 18inch and below guns. They were known as Hammerhead cranes. These were usually supported on railroad wheels and moved along straight rail lines. Tamiya didn't provide wheels so I assumed it was fixed permanently to a spot so my harbour doesn't give provision for this as you can see. Logically it would be better with rails for movement, also when the reference article said for British and CommonWealth ports that got me thinking, did the Japanese copy such a crane with the help of the British, their Allies at the time to build the Kongo class sisters? Good thing I found a reference picture of the Hei with being built with a Hammerhead crane in the background in Yokosuka. Another recent reference picture shows a cantilever Hammerhead crane in a Mitsubishi dockyard in Nagasaki permanently fixed so the crane may stay.

These two pictures show the Hammerhead crane on Sydney's Garden Island Naval Depo. Sadly it was demolished in 2013, I had passed and photographed that spot in 2016 and didn't know I had missed something of history and close to a subject I had built. Here's a link about its fate and how it inspired many Meccano fans around the world.
Hammerhead Crane 2.jpg Hammhead Crane 3.jpg (For reference only)

Here's the Yokosuka dockyard Hammerhead crane and Hei under construction.
Hammerhead Crane Yokosuka 7.jpg Hammerhead Crane Yokosuka 8.jpg (For reference only)

This is the cantilever crane at the Mitsubishi dockyard in Nagasaki which looks like a permenant base.
Hammerhead Crane 5.jpg Hammerhead Crane 6.jpg Hammerhead Crane 9.jpg (For reference only)

The other solution is to save the crane for another dio with a British ship in drydock having its guns overhauled.

Let me know what you guys think?

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
No idea Richard I'm afraid, but I am certainly learning a lot :smiling2: :cool: :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, I'm learning as well. In the early years I took things for granted and just built for fun without the slightest inkling on how it works and placed. Now with the net reference is easier and interesting which makes a difference on decisions and dio compositions.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I tinkered with the Hatsuyuki today and drilled out a number of air vents and the smoke stack guards. Sorry if the pictures are blurred...

88.jpg89.jpg

This looks a bit clearer...I thinned out the large air vents peculiar to the Fubuki class destroyers.

90.jpg

Then I also drilled out these apertures. The smoke stack funnels aren't stuck on yet. I will have to mask the white stripes and black top first.

91.jpg

That's about it .

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I will need to do another coat of lighter grey closer to the Kure Japanese grey applied at their dockyards. It has that slight greenish tint.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, just before the new coat of grey I sprayed white onto the rear funnel for the stripe markings for the flotilla that the destroyers were attached to. These were then masked and the grey sprayed over the masked again for the black...

94.jpg 93.jpg

The funnel is still dry fitted that's why there is still a gap at the base. I think I over did the black and it needs thinning so a remask it will be...good thing I didn't stick the funnels down.

92.jpg

Some other parts from the sprue were sprayed with the paint left over from the cup.

95.jpg

That's my bit at the bench today. Doors locked to keep the cats at bay...I don't fancy scratching these parts.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim and Ralph, I'm glad you both are enjoying the thread...same here. It's always nice to apply something learnt along the way to WIP stuff.

I spent a little more time today rectifying the funnel tips and attaching some of the parts...

98.jpg

I left one of the torpedo tubes upstairs in the computer room so that's why that spot is vacant. The lifeboats and davits still to be added and painted...I would probably replace the boats with the extra accessories from Pit-Road.

97.jpg

I picked out the windows with black. I am not sure if they have glass panels as some pictures show some ships having the open concept...maybe for ventilation in the Pacific perhaps? Guns too will be from the accessories.

99.jpg

I have drilled out the fourth window. Torpedo tubes need clean up of seam lines.

96.jpg

The close ups is sure bringing up the crude work...I hope the weathering stage can hide it. :smiling3:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for the link Richard, what a disgrace demolishing that crane, over here there would have been public outrage I'm sure.
Models looking good , the amount of detail in these 1.700 scale builds is amazing. Keep it up .:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You're welcome John, I'm sure they had a good reason for taking it down. It's actually very close to Circular Key where water traffic is crazy. It was a beautiful day for a walk to the Sydney Opera House, then through the Royal Botanical Gardens pass Mrs Macquarries Chair and on the opposite of that was the Naval station with their Assault carriers and Frigates. Then we walked to the Museum of Fine Arts and that's where I saw the huge painting of the defence of Roakes Drift.
I will try to clear as much of my 1/700 scale stuff before my eyes can't take any more minute building. :smiling2: I'm only skimming the surface on detailing. I've seen some crazy stuff elsewhere and those are really amazing.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You're welcome John, I'm sure they had a good reason for taking it down. It's actually very close to Circular Key where water traffic is crazy. It was a beautiful day for a walk to the Sydney Opera House, then through the Royal Botanical Gardens pass Mrs Macquarries Chair and on the opposite of that was the Naval station with their Assault carriers and Frigates. Then we walked to the Museum of Fine Arts and that's where I saw the huge painting of the defence of Roakes Drift.
I will try to clear as much of my 1/700 scale stuff before my eyes can't take any more minute building. :smiling2: I'm only skimming the surface on detailing. I've seen some crazy stuff elsewhere and those are really amazing.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
Properly unsafe after all these years, still a great shame. I'd enjoy the the Royal Botanical Gardens, you lucky man.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, I visit any gardens if I had the chance on my trips. Kew would be on my list as the first seeds of the Rubber tree were brought from there by H.N. Ridley to then Malaya.

I have always wanted to see the mighty Oak tree having read of them in books and there was one just after the entrance to the Gardens. Wild Raspberries in bramble bushes is another that intrigued me from books and I found those at Bilpin.
In contrast our local fauna is not mentioned much in our literature except the Malacca(Melaka) tree in which the state of Melaka is named and the straits between Indonesia and Malaysia as well. And how did the name come about? Here's a short story of it. I have seen the tree and eaten its pickled fruit.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I have here pictures comparing the accessory sprue for Heavy and Light IJN vessels from Tamiya which are Ex Pit-Road and Skywave molds and the kit sprue.

100.jpg

I know there's not much left on the kit sprue but stuff that needs replacing, example the boats and anti-aircraft guns.

101.jpg

Didn't do much today as I was busy repairing my SWMBOs laptop.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Another lovely update. There is so much going on with this diorama. Lovin it a lot.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve...I have stopped participating in GB's however tempting they are when I realised I was neglecting my dios halfway. A harbour scene with this many ships can be really busy. :smiling6: I have a collection of 1/700 ships with all their PE collecting dust and waiting to be built, I may just spend the rest of the year to try to build some. The 350 scale ones will have to wait.

Cheers,
Richard