1/72 AirfixF-18A Hornet

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Picked this up at an autojumble last year for £8.
P1150495.JPG
The vendor had taken the brushes and cement out ( :disappointed2: ) but left the paints (:crying:). A few parts removed from the black sprue, but they seem to be in the box. The rest of the sprues were in a sealed bag, but were filthy:
P1150497.JPG
They'll need a good wash before I start.
Clear parts:
P1150498.JPG
And four grey sprues.
P1150499.JPG
They look well moulded, with raised but subtle panel lines, and a reasonable pilot.
P1150500.JPGP1150501.JPG
Nice set of decals, printed by Cartograf, in perfect register. Fingers crossed they behave!
P1150503.JPG
Right, off to wash some sprues now!
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Picked this up at an autojumble last year for £8.
View attachment 367755
The vendor had taken the brushes and cement out ( :disappointed2: ) but left the paints (:crying:). A few parts removed from the black sprue, but they seem to be in the box. The rest of the sprues were in a sealed bag, but were filthy:
View attachment 367756
They'll need a good wash before I start.
Clear parts:
View attachment 367757
And four grey sprues.
View attachment 367758
They look well moulded, with raised but subtle panel lines, and a reasonable pilot.
View attachment 367759View attachment 367760
Nice set of decals, printed by Cartograf, in perfect register. Fingers crossed they behave!
View attachment 367761
Right, off to wash some sprues now!
Pete
LOOKS a nice little kit Peter good luck on the build i'll have a look as you progress
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I think most of that subtle raised detail is going to disappear when I sand the fuselage seam!
P1150506.JPGP1150507.JPGP1150508.JPG
Still, it's getting on a bit:
P1150505.JPG
I'll have to try progressively gluing the fuselage halves together while holding them in alignment. Need to paint the cockpit first though. Looks like dark grey IP with a lighter grey on the floor and sides, and the seat cushion in olive green? I think a 1980s Marine pilot's flight suit would be olive as well?
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Peter, good luck with that. :astonished: must have been trainee mould makers.
Sure you will beat it into shape. Going to sit at the back , well out of the way from flying parts.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Peter, good luck with that. :astonished: must have been trainee mould makers.
Sure you will beat it into shape. Going to sit at the back , well out of the way from flying parts.
Welcome John! Plenty of room. I'm more likely to beat it to a pulp than beat it into shape!
I don't know about trainees, I think the fuselage halves have warped with age. The brown marks were the devil to get off - I think they'd used old sump oil as a release agent.
Pete

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
With those angular sprues the kit gives me a distinct Matchbox feel. However, they never made a 1:72 F/A-18 and the pilot definitely isn’t in the Matchbox style, so it’s not like it could be re-issue of one of their kits.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
According to Scalemates this boxing dates from 2009, so the mould tools had 27 years of wear and abuse before this kit was made! I added some bits of plasticard to help locate the fuselage halves.
P1150509.JPG
I also added some weight on the nose - I don't think it'll be a tail-sitter, but I've been caught out before!
Just waiting for the paint on the pilot to dry now, before I start closing up the fuselage.
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Good idea with the locating strips as it doesn't look like that will want to fit together nicely without a fight.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm sure it'll put up a fight Andy, the two fuselage halves have warped in opposite directions.
The horizontal stabilizers are meant to pivot - you can see one of the shafts in the photo above, just by the number 16 on the edge of the mat. Now I don't plan to pivot them as I run around the room holding the model above my head while making jet noises, but it might be easier to get an even coat of paint if I can move them. If I don't glue them in though, I'll have to juggle those while struggling to align the fuselage seam, so I might just hold them in with some blu-tak.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
what's wrong with doing that??
I'm too old to run! :tongue-out:

A bit more progress - it took a bit of head scratching to work out where exactly parts 15 and 19 should go, as the instructions are a bit vague, as is the shape of the parts:P1150512.JPGP1150513.JPG
Adding them later made a bit more sense, but these intakes were a real pain.P1150514.JPG
The warped fuselage made fitting these fairings that extend the wing up to the cockpit (there must be a better name for those!) a pain, but they're on now.
Then a few hours of fill, sand, fill, sand, prime, swear, fill, sand... I'm sure you all know how that goes.
P1150515.JPGP1150516.JPGP1150517.JPG
Getting there slowly though.
Thanks for watching.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Forgot to mention another problem - I was going to have the canopy closed to stop dust getting into the cockpit from all the sanding, but it won't fit - the pilot's head and seat back are about 3 mm too high to allow the cockpit to be closed!
Airfix have told me they don't have any stock of the decals, so at least I won't have to fit dozens of stencils, so that's good news.
Pete

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d say the main lesson here is to buy a F/A-18 from another manufacturer next time :smiling3: You’re doing well with this one, though.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The warped fuselage made fitting these fairings that extend the wing up to the cockpit (there must be a better name for those!)
Theyre known as LERXs pete ( Leading Edge Root eXtensions ) , great progress , its not going to be a walk in the park but keep at it , cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
IM addin my pennys worth Pete you are doin great as the guys have said an from me some would have binned it by now but not you as I know you have the patience to make it into a premier model you keep at it as I like the hornet :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I’d say the main lesson here is to buy a F/A-18 from another manufacturer next time :smiling3: You’re doing well with this one, though.
I think the main lesson is actually to stop buying cheap "bargain" kits at boot sales and autojumbles, but thanks Jakko.
Theyre known as LERXs pete ( Leading Edge Root eXtensions ) , great progress , its not going to be a walk in the park but keep at it , cheers tony
LERXs eh? Why didn't I think of that? Thanks Tony, every day's a school day. I wonder if I'll ever need to use that word?
IM addin my pennys worth Pete you are doin great as the guys have said an from me some would have binned it by now but not you as I know you have the patience to make it into a premier model you keep at it as I like the hornet :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
chris
Thanks Chris, not so much patience as stubbornness! You're the one with patience.

Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think the main lesson is actually to stop buying cheap "bargain" kits at boot sales and autojumbles
OTOH: if the kit’s parts just fall together with no work required, where’s the fun? :smiling3: