1/72 Fairey Fulmar with PE wingfold.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is turning out to be a real battle, the flap & outer wing sections have has their PE fitted - not without a lot of filing, and cursing. Despite me cutting the wings as accurately as I could, I still needed a lot of fettling to get any sort of fit!DSCF0267.JPG
It was also one of those days that the CA didn't want to stick......................
The major problem is the stub wings. I added the PE wheel well walls - bad move! It would be better to scratch some plastic parts instead. The PE walls are too large - the instructions say that some plastic will need to be removed to get a good fit. A minor understatement! I have had several attempts to get the wings to fit over the PE, but no go. I'm thinking that I'll have to remove the PE, and ditch the wheel well detail altogether. You will only be able to see this if you pick the model up, so I think I can live with that
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Despite its age Dave, it looks quite a nice kit. the canopy is really clear. Anyway, all looking good here, even if the PE was a bit of a sod to fit.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great surgery Dave , shame about the wheel wells being too big . Its going to look great once it’s assembled , cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YOURE doin great dave an yes I know that sometimes things don't fit but from what I see its lookin great what you have built an PLEASE PLEASE when you have built this plane PLEASE DO THE GANNET WITH ITS WINGS FOLDED as to me that's what modelin is all about takin up the challenge an havein a go as its some thing so different as ive never seen a gannet model built with its wings all folded into 3 sections ive seen the real plane taxi past me with its wing all still folded at an airshow at RAF COLTISHALL if I remember rightly back in the late 60 's an if I thought this about my ship builds as they are all scrath builds they would never have happened SO PLEASE HAVE A GO DAVE as we can all see you are a good moddeler when you put your mind to it an for me it would be something to look forward too
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm sure I will get round to the Gannet(s) - I have both the Revell boxings the T.5 and the AS. 1/4. These are pretty new tooling, a totally different generation to the old Frog antiques. I think I'll do the trainer with folded wings, and bomb bay closed, and the AS version with bomb bay open - I'll have to look out some some suitable weapons, as Revell don't supply anything for the finely detailed bay . All this WILL come to pass, but later in the year.............
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm sure I will get round to the Gannet(s) - I have both the Revell boxings the T.5 and the AS. 1/4. These are pretty new tooling, a totally different generation to the old Frog antiques. I think I'll do the trainer with folded wings, and bomb bay closed, and the AS version with bomb bay open - I'll have to look out some some suitable weapons, as Revell don't supply anything for the finely detailed bay . All this WILL come to pass, but later in the year.............
Dave
HOPE you do Dave looks like its gonna be a slow year:sad:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Still working on this, the stub wings are proving a little more trouble than I expected, and the percentage of filler has jumped! I hope to be able to finish the wings, shortly, and I can think about getting some paint on - I'm going to have to paint & decal the wings, before getting them to stick to the fuselage.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, after a lot of fiddling, I think I'm just about ready for some paint. The PE for the wing stubs was a real pig........................DSCF0294.JPG
It didn't help that my CA didn't seem to stick anything, apart from my fingers!
I'd been trying some Gorilla CA - not impressed, I had to slip out and buy some of my original tried & tested Loctite CADSCF0295.JPG
This is what the folded Fulmar looks like
folded.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Wow, that’s a lot of compression on that museum photo … The model is looking good, though — you’d swear everything fit just fine from the start :smiling3:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Looking very good; no obvious signs of difficulty.
I’m glad it’s not just me that can’t stick PE to plastic!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s a much better version, thanks even though I wasn’t particularly looking for it :smiling3: