1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I think a model of the carpenters mistake would be interesting! Surprise in 1/50 will be huge though!
was that HMS Polycrest?
My mistake -1/48 scale...it's 1334 mm long! Surprise at will just fit on our sideboard, but I won't be able to fit the masts until I get it out of the loft....
And back on topic,sorry

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Off to a cracking start Jim, would love to do a wooden ship like Victory but way past my skills, all that plank bending etc;)

Good you have been jabed, my mum had hers today, Julie on Monday and her dad 10 days ago, me bugger all lol, need a bell and a megaphone to shout out ' un clean '

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for the nice posts :thumb2:
Neil - when you build your monster I hope you'll blog it. Better start soon though 'cause it will take a while :rolling::thinking::tongue-out3:
I have just ordered Master and Commander, the first in the series. Certainly sounds a good read.

Some of the ribs are not continuous as there are gaps for the gun ports and the entrances. There are laser cut parts to make the tops of the ribs above the gaps.
P1060442.JPG

These are held in position using the jigs and dowels - very clever and works well. The jigs are removed when the glue has all set solid and the dowels will not show when the inner and outer hull is planked.
P1060449.JPG

Another nice touch is that the laser cut fret is the right size to be used as a spacer to ensure that the frame of ribs is held securely.
P1060450.JPG

Planking next which is a much slower job than the ribs.

Thanks again for your encouragement.
Stay safe
Jim

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
.....Another nice touch is that the laser cut fret is the right size to be used as a spacer to ensure that the frame of ribs are held securely.
Now that IS impressive thinking.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed in Master and Commander, but don't expect any part of it to be the same story as the film- except the characters and the ship! - in fact not even the ship, because HMS Surprise doesn't appear until the next book I think!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Jim,
Glad you choose to share your build, looks impressive. Nice to see something different being built too:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, that not a problem either way Jim....the film has no spoilers for the book, and the book has no spoilers for the film....they basically share the title, the two main characters.....and the historical setting!
The film is pretty good though. Definitely worth a watch.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
This is fantastic!

I lived in Portsmouth for 10 years and have been aboard this ship many times so I'l be watching this intently.

D

Deleted member 7181

Now that's a bit different!

It's a bit of alright too Jim. Will follow along now I've found it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Again your support for this is really appreciated. At the moment the interaction with fellow modellers is more important than ever given that we, in the UK, can't mix with friends and relatives or go out much at all.

I have started planking the outer hull. Now the instructions would have you do a couple of things I didn't feel happy with. They want you to pin the planks to the ribs while the glue dries. I thought this may mark the edges of the planks and also I was afraid the pins would split the plywood ribs. They actually tell you to take care. I decided that using clamps would be safer.
P1060591.JPG

The instructions tell you to cut the planks over size by a couple of mm and sand back to the outer ribs. Sanding back is fraught with problems - it takes ages, it stresses the framework and tends to splinter the wood. I decide to measure each plank and then cut it accurately to start with. I sanded the plank ends before gluing them in place so virtually no extra sanding was needed. It took longer but was safer. I used this cutter to cut the planks. Its not perfect but pretty accurate. (I bought it after seeing Steve J use one on one of his YouTube videos)
P1060394.JPG

I worked evenly up each side from the keel up to the openings for the lower gun ports.
P1060451.JPG
You can see here the planks were cut over size as per instructions. After that they were cut to size.

P1060452.JPG

P1060453.JPG

Not a lot to show but took a fair bit of time.

Thanks again for your posts.
Stay safe.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Very nice an neat work Jim we'll make a ship builder out of you yet now got to get Bob hooked an seriously you are doin a very grand an smart job on this an better than i could do an does it say what the scale is
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along very nicely. The trick with pinning the planks is to put the pin in the rib at an angle back over the plank, if you know what I'm on about.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Spent a fair bit of time at the bench but progress is slow. As I said the instructions would have all the planking cut slightly over size and then sanded back. Because I chose to measure and cut each plank it took more time but I think it made a neater job.
First job was to plank the inside up to the first deck supports, the orlop deck. Simply continued like this ....
P1060455.JPG

After that I continued to plank the outside. I could see no reason not to do it at this stage and it gave a lot of rigidity to the framework. The position of the gun ports and the entrances was carefully measured and marked with tape.
P1060456.JPG

P1060457.JPG

P1060458.JPG

P1060459.JPG

There was very little sanding to do. I ended up with this. Outside complete and inner planking to first deck.
P1060467.JPG

The gun ports and the entrances have 'side' bits to fit and then a little work will be needed to get the size/shape exact.

Stay safe.
Jim

As a slight aside the missus and I had our Covid jab yesterday. We went to a hub at a local hospital. The organization, the friendliness of the staff and the efficiency could not have been better. All credit to all concerned.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH Jim i love this model its fab an like a work of art very well made an lookn forward to seein the finished artickle great work there
chris

Last edited: