1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim, apologies for missing the start.
Very impressed with you neatness and not using pins for the planking. Yes sanding those to size would seriously weaken the frame.
Will enjoy this a great deal. Tent is set up on your lawn if that's ok, can just see with the use of mirrors the build.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Jim, apologies for missing the start.
Very impressed with you neatness and not using pins for the planking. Yes sanding those to size would seriously weaken the frame.
Will enjoy this a great deal. Tent is set up on your lawn if that's ok, can just see with the use of mirrors the build.
With your tent no doubt being a certain green colour you might be invisable !John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Neil - thanks. I'm a bit OCD about being neat and tidy - I drive my poor wife to distraction sometimes.
Christopher - thanks. It is accurate in many ways to the way the real Victory was constructed.
Chris - appreciate your comment :thumb2:
Ron - value the support from a modeller of your skills
Andy - no where near as intriate as you trench sections but similar cross section idea.
Bob - thanks Mr StuG
John - you're more than welcome to set up camp. I'll keep the dog from weeing up your flap :tongue-out3:
Richard - thanks for your kind comment
Steve - a wow from you is appreciated

Stay safe
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks Si - appreciate you looking in :thumb2:

I got to thumbing through the online instructions and in Stage 14 you build seaman's chests to go on the orlop deck. Now I know I shouldn't leap ahead but that sounded rather fun. They just gave you the appropriate scale dimensions (from 1.5x1.0x1.0mm down to 1.0x0.7x0.7mm) and said to use scrap bits of wood. They did provide some fine thread for the handles and some brass strip for the banding.
I Googled "seaman's chests" and found that the best source of info for 18th century seaman's chests were antique shops and antique auctions - loads of interesting stuff. Turned out there were no standard types, sizes, construction method etc. Seems they were made by carpenters pretty much to their own designs. The instructions said I would need between 8 and 10 so I made 9 :smiling:
I used various bits of left over wood, bits of wire and as the brass strip provided was very stiff I substitute pewter. I made each one different.

I started off by gluing various offcuts of wood into suitable sizes. The lolly sticks are just to hold plank bits together while the glue dried.
P1060590.JPG

I made some handles from the thread provided, just tied around a 2mm brass tube and soaked in PVA, and made the rest from wire.
P1060592.JPG

After quite a few hours over a few days I ended up with these - all slightly different.
P1060594.JPG

P1060595.JPG

P1060596.JPG

Now back to the instructions in order :tongue-out3:

Thanks again for your comments - they really are appreciated.
Stay safe
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant scratch work, JIm.

One excellent overall build to watch.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thank you all so much for your positive comments about the seaman's chests.
So I'm back to the instructions in order. Victory had two sets of pumps. One was for pumping out the bilges and the other provided sea water for fire fighting, cleaning and other situations where it would have been wasteful to use the limited supply of fresh water. These pumps were located in the 'pump well' which extended from the hold up to the lower gun deck. The next job was to build the hold section of the pump well.

The basic structure is laser cut parts. The structure at the rear is the shot locker. The front face has a cut out so that the pumps can be seen in the finished model.
P1060469.JPG

P1060470.JPG

The whole thing then had to be covered in veneer. This came in thin, 3mm wide, strips.
P1060560.JPG

I put shot onto one compartment and one lid was fitted in the open position. The door was pretty poorly done so I fitted styrene rod as bars, scrap PE hinges and made a door handle. The whole pump well was stained with oak stain. I chose a solvent based stain which smells but it doesn't raise the wood grain like water based stains can do.
P1060561.JPG

P1060562.JPG

P1060564.JPG

P1060563.JPG

So far the kit has proved very good (apart from that door :rolling:) and is an enjoyable build. It is more time consuming that you would think. It is surprising how much of the 'skills' used with plastic kits are applicable to this as well.

Stay safe.
Jim

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Jim, just caught up to this.....you are doing a terrific job with this and it is very interesting from a historic stand point....I got a look at the Victory when I was in Portsmouth back in the early 70's, did not however, get to go onboard so this little "snapshot" you are building is like a sneak peek for me. Keep up the good work.
Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jim some very nice modeling there an i love your shot lockers looks very realistic an love that door with the bars an 0 ring handle :thumb2: an in the early eightys jen an i went all over victory but was not allowed to video in case i tripped or hit my head while doin it as in some spaces we went through you had to bend right down an enjoyed but i would not have liked to be on it when she was in use as we spent about two hrs i thinks looking round her an then we went out an all over hms warrior really nice days outing an your model brings back to me on how cramped it was very well done on this so far
chris