1/72 MAN 8x8 Truck

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Made a start on this one while I'm waiting for paint to dry on my BTR-80

Box & sprue shot

rqajQrE.jpg

Not sure what you experts think but this looks a very clean moulding to me, certainly much better than the Zvezda I've just built!

VpGbjZB.jpg

Some small mould lines to clean up on a few parts but very minor, although I think I'll need to make up some thinner sanding sticks!

Nicely moulded cab and a bit of PE

MHRV2Fw.jpg

Started putting the engine and transfer case together and realised the actual parts are smaller than the pictures in the instruction manual. Engine also seems to look like a V10, rather than the V8 it should be. I doubt I have the skills to modify it though!

TYmNemJ.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can't help on the engine size Andy, but will grab a seat .
I've started doing the same, letting something dry and starting another. Couldn't do it at first but couldn't bare having nothing to do.

D

Deleted member 7181

Strange that. A bit of googling suggests the truck started with a V8, then changed to a 320HP V12. Maybe they split the difference?
Pete
I haven't researched recently (maybe I should) but from what I remember about these, the regular trucks had a water-cooled V10, but these military KAT ones were fitted with an air cooled V8 to cut costs. It won't be seen once fitted though so I won't stress unduly about it.

Good to have you here John. I'm on holiday next week so there won't be much progress on this but as you say, I fancied a quick hour after work and couldn't do anything worthwhile on the other kit so grabbed this.

Paul, I'm hoping the difference in scale should stop me getting mixed up! At least the other one is completely built so I shouldn't end up gluing a turret on this by mistake :smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not sure what you experts think but this looks a very clean moulding to me
It does, these are clearly modern moulds that haven’t aged yet.

Engine also seems to look like a V10, rather than the V8 it should be. I doubt I have the skills to modify it though!
Though it’s a bit of a poor photo, this is a real one:

man-kat-engine-gearbox.jpg

But it’s unlikely to be visible on the built-up model even in 1/35 scale, let alone 1/72. My thoughts are always that if you can’t see it on the finished model, it’s not worth correcting.

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes Jakko, that's the air cooled V8 that I would have expected to see. As you say though, it will be virtually invisible once finished and I'd have to lose the radiator and PE cooling fan, so not something I'm going to bother about.

Maybe one day when my scratch building skills are up to, err, scratch :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Not much to show tonight, just started painting a few parts, but thought I'd show you the mini sanding sticks I'd made up. I have tons of various sandpaper so I use a bit of double sided tape to stick it to various things.

ideQcLV.jpg

Smallest ones are the new ones, should be just the job for this. I'm going to experiment with double sided foam tape to see if I can make some "softer" sticks.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not much to show tonight, just started painting a few parts, but thought I'd show you the mini sanding sticks I'd made up. I have tons of various sandpaper so I use a bit of double sided tape to stick it to various things.

View attachment 342907

Smallest ones are the new ones, should be just the job for this. I'm going to experiment with double sided foam tape to see if I can make some "softer" sticks.
Andy, your idea about making your own is well worth pursuing. There was a guy on the " other " forum we don't mention :smiling3:who did exactly the same. Took small pieces of sanding paper and some foam, glued some of them onto a coffee strirrers, others he held with tweezers and was able to get into the tighest spots .
Hope you will post the results .

D

Deleted member 7181

It's mainly because I'm tight John :smiling3:

Setting myself up in this hobby has already cost me more than I thought so I'm trying to improvise with what I have where I can.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Andy,
I also do the same as you when it comes to sanding sticks, besides you can custom fit them to suit your needs, which always seams not to be the case with 'professionally' manufactured ones...

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I've always used size 0 needle files. Relatively cheap and last a lifetime.

However, it never occurred to me to make sanding sticks. The added variety and flexibility is a worthy benefit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

Again, it's something I kind of carried over from work. I've often glued a sanding pad to a plastic filler spreader when I need to get into a tight panel gap.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Andy,

Got this kit in the stash so watching with interest. Also have the Takom Maz set in 1 72....I quite like the big truck type thingies:smiling4:
E3BD38F4-6ACA-4F7D-9C49-04DF9B0EEE23.jpeg

Think many of us make our own sanding stuff. I got myself some of this stuff from eBay, you may of come across it in your line of work before...
522FB96F-43EF-4109-8685-8D9CB12A0AC6.jpeg

Then glued a different grade wet and dry to the foam side which stiffen it up nicely...
8F308854-0600-4DD4-9AE4-238668B670A6.jpeg
Very quick and cheap for loads of sanding and you can of course cut it to any shape you need
Hope this helps

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

I've looked at that set myself. If I can manage with the scale of this kit I'll be buying it in the future. I'd like to do one pristine and factory fresh and the other battered and beaten up, the idea being after wrecking their old truck the crew are taking delivery of a brand new one.
But at the minute my ideas are getting ahead of my skills :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Looks a nice little kit. As for the engine - what's a couple of cylinders among friends :smiling2: Nice to see the chassis in a single piece, makes getting 8 wheels touching the ground easier :thumb2: Can't remember seeing a Model Collect kit built before so this will have added interest.
Ji

D

Deleted member 7181

I thought that at first glance but the chassis is actually in two halves, with bits of spruce joining them together. I can't see a reason why as it would have been just as easy to mould it in one piece, but maybe that will come to light as I progress.