1/72 MK 1 Male Tank -EEF

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Now for something completely different......... Everyone looks to WW 1 as the bloody battles of the Somme and Flanders. But the Egyptian Expeditionary Force were slugging it out in Palestine as well....... So here will be my take on it. Masterbox 1/72 MK 1 Male Tank. A simple kit but it looks well detailed...... and it`'ll go into a small dio. Hope I can do it some justice.......

mb72003.jpg

P

Polux

Ahhhh....I'm really sure that you will do it justice ;)

I'm wishing to see the final result!

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Ahhhh....I'm really sure that you will do it justice ;)
I'm wishing to see the final result!
Thanks Polux. I've wanted to do something from WW 1 for ages...... Researching this campaign and the development of the "Landships" has really got my interest.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
this looks interesting

what is the 'special modification'??

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I did the small 1/76 airfix jobbie as, like you wanted to do a WWI tank. I think you will have fun with it and it will look superb.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Glad to have you all along for this. Here are a few sprue shots. Not a lot to this one, I think to make anything of it will be in the finishing. Quite a few parts are unused for the EEF version. Comes with a few decals for three different tanks that were in theatre. " HMLS Sir Archibald", "HMLS Sir Percival" and "HMLS OLE-LUK-OLE"............ and Robert donated a few Tommies to go with it.

DSCN2199.JPG

DSCN2200.JPG

DSCN2201.JPG

DSCN2202.JPG

DSCN2203.JPG

DSCN2204.JPG

First Name
Robert
Great idea Perer and I'll be tuned in for this.Im sure you will have no problems and looking forward to what dio you do

Robert

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
this looks interesting
what is the 'special modification'??
I think Paul, although information is a bit sparce on the subject, that they ditched the rear steering wheels as the were considered more of a hindrance than help, added the cargo rails, and uprated the engine cooling / radiator ......... It would have been very unpleasant inside this thing in the desert, eight blokes, with the engine and cordite fumes along with the deafening noise and bone shaking vibration........ and all in pretty much pitch black.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Great idea Perer and I'll be tuned in for this.Im sure you will have no problems and looking forward to what dio you do
Robert
I think Robert, that after seeing your dio ....... I have a hard act to follow mate. :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
I was reading this week about the Newton Abbot Territorials who served in Palestine and talking about the less well known ww1 theatres.

Dave

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Building this little tank really isn't going to take long. I have the hull together. I had to paint the rusty exhaust and the inside of the heatshield before it went on........ I should have it together in another couple of hours.

DSCN2207.JPG

DSCN2208.JPG

DSCN2209.JPG

DSCN2210.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice pick and very good progress so far,and how good that it has figures as well, ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
nice pick and very good progress so far,and how good that it has figures as well, ;)
Thanks Monica...... It didn`t come with figures. They were kindly donated by Robert...... They are very tiny, so painting the wee fellas is going to be interesting

First Name
Robert
Looking good Peter, I found the tracks a bit tricky to line up and glue ( had to use ca as it did suggest to u in Emhars version. I dropped bits here and there each side before taping to secure

I'm sure you'll have no problem though. Like to see the Mk1 with the tiller wheel at the back ( probable wrong term)

Looking good so far ( good progress )

Robert

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Looking good Peter, I found the tracks a bit tricky to line up and glue ( had to use ca as it did suggest to u in Emhars version. I dropped bits here and there each side before taping to secure
I'm sure you'll have no problem though. Like to see the Mk1 with the tiller wheel at the back ( probable wrong term)

Looking good so far ( good progress )

Robert
Thanks Robert....... the Tiller wheels you refer to is a cable operated steering device....... It seems most of the crews took them off as they were more of a hindrance than help..... And the EEF tanks didn`t have them....... They are included in the kit but not used as it is the same kit for several versions........ If you want the parts to make them for one of your tanks you can have them.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Thanks Robert....... the Tiller wheels you refer to is a cable operated steering device....... It seems most of the crews took them off as they were more of a hindrance than help..... And the EEF tanks didn`t have them....... They are included in the kit but not used as it is the same kit for several versions........ If you want the parts to make them for one of your tanks you can have them.
Thanks Peter but the tanks I built were mk4s and the use of the rear strewing wheel was not used.

I may be on the look out for the Tamiya 1/35 Mk4 at some point as I have another dio in mind, and also the Whhippet tank ( I've heard this is a good kit )anyway apparently was not as good a tank when it entered service ( ideas good on drawing boards but not in practice )

Thanks for the offer though

Robert