1/72 PzKpfw VI 'Tiger' (Hasegawa)

A

Apokalipse

Hello everybody, I've just completed the famous Tiger in braille scale.

The build itself was pretty simple. Even though the mold is pretty ancient it goes together fairly well.

However, some of the details definitely show their age. To remedy this I've added aftermarket towing cables, a metal cannon and I made a zimmerit coating.

View attachment 117457

View attachment 117458

View attachment 117459

View attachment 117460

Overall I'm fairly pleased with the result. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, however considering this was my return to 1/72 armor after several years I can't complain (last one I built, I must have been about 14, 6 years ago). I've never used pigments before and I've never attempted zimmerit either. The pigments will require some more getting used to, but I'm quite happy with the zimmerit.

The vinyl tracks were also a big pain, as they're a bit too small and are therefore warped.

If anyone is thinking about giving the Tiger a go in this scale I'd say stay away from this mold as there are better ones out there, and try to get those towing cables. I think they really help liven things up a bit. Mine are from Eureka XXL.

DSCN5194.jpg

DSCN5196.jpg

DSCN5192.jpg

DSCN5199.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,m with Ian do like the cables,and very nice camo,looks good, ;)

D

dougie

Good job, I have never attempted a tank, far less this size. It looks great and going by the other comments it must be hard to to small armour builds. Nice one

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Superb work on your build got to be one of the most popular tanks off the war and with your camo scheme which is spot on you've pulled off a cracking build

the chipping and weathering which I find hard to pull off is superbly done not to much but not too little..

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Maj, a good return model. I built the Hasegawa 1.72 Tiger a wee while back, it was a fun build.

D

Doug Hughes

I really like this, Maj. The camouflage looks great, and the covers round the exhausts look to be of scale thickness. Did you scratchbuild these? Zimmerit must have been difficult in this scale - how did you do it?

A

Apokalipse

\ said:
I really like this, Maj. The camouflage looks great, and the covers round the exhausts look to be of scale thickness. Did you scratchbuild these? Zimmerit must have been difficult in this scale - how did you do it?
Thanks a lot Doug!

No, the covers are straight out of the box.

For the Zimmerit I used Tamiya Smooth Surface epoxy putty. I applied a thin coat of putty on the surfaces of the tank and then just went to work with a small flat head screwdriver. I was surprised how simple it really was as I was dreading I'd screw it all up. :D

P

Polux

Wow! Lovely build.

I love the camouflage paintwork, looks very well done. Nice job on the tracks as well.

Cheers.