1/72 UM SU-100 Self Propelled Gun.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for all your comments :thumb2:
Most reference photos and the box art shown spare track links across the front. The kit uses 7 individual links for this. Because I want to show a wreck with a broken track I thought I would need some extra individual links to use for the bend in the shed track. I decided to resin cast the 7 links for across the front.
A box made from a fruit juice carton and glued together with a cheap hot glue gun. Rubber poured.
P1060484.JPG

Mould removed
P1060487.JPG

Filled with resin
P1060485.JPG

Just need some cleanup.
P1060486.JPG

Completed the undamaged side of track.
P1060488.JPG

Removable for painting.
P1060491.JPG

I didn't realise how small this is at 1/72 - just 8cm long.

Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jim. Nice updates I like the molding reminds me back in the day I used to cast

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim

Very nice job on this mini. Tell what product do you use for making the rubber mold and what resin do you use?

John

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice work and great job with doing ypur own castings.Some great work allround.
Excellent.
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just the sort of thing Simon would do , cast it. Your taking this to another level with the casting Jim. Well done you, when's the pewter going to appear, perfect for doing bent bits !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Lee - even being able to do very simple resin casting, which is all I can do, can be very useful.
John - I use rubber and resin from Sylmasta. The stuff I use is just their "general purpose" products.
P1060494.JPG

P1060495.JPG

Richard - thanks for looking in :thumb2:
John - pewter will be used in honour of the great man himself. Ideal for the damaged fender.
Richard F - Simon certainly managed to bring all his skills to bear on all his models. I should probably use a load of Green Stuff :smiling:
Si - As I said I didn't realise how tiny this is and the track is very fiddly but at least the links do fit together quite well.

It was appropriate that I did the resin casting as it was Simon who introduced me to it way back in 2015. I still have saved all the PMs he send as he showed me how to go about it.

Thanks, as always, for your kind comments.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
A small update.
I've been working on the damaged track. The rear part was fairly straight forward. All I've done is remove the rubber from the front of the tyre nearest to the damage as if it had been burned off by the fire/heat. Like the other side the wheel/track assembly is removed for painting.
P1060496.JPG

The front was harder to do. I made a simple jig and built the track on that. Leaving it to set solid before I remove it. Just hope it actually fits :thinking:
P1060492.JPG

Sat at the bench and looked out of the window. The rainy weather at least has something in its favour.
P1060493.JPG

Stay safe everyone.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Jim,
The damaged section looks great and the jig was a great idea for forming the other end :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

Sorry for behind in this. Linking very good indeed! Keep up the good work

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Si and Andrew - thanks :thumb2:

There are no internal details but I would like to have the front hatch open so I've blanked off a space inside and painted it black.
P1060497.JPG

P1060498.JPG

The hatch is tiny so I'll only add a little detail inside and out.
P1060504.JPG

Joined the top to the bottom and added pewter fender fronts. I'll bend them about later. The gun is only dry fitted.
P1060500.JPG

I still can't get my head round how small this is at 1/72.
P1060502.JPG

Positioned the damage/impact point.
P1060499.JPG

Stay safe
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all
Si and Andrew - thanks :thumb2:

There are no internal details but I would like to have the front hatch open so I've blanked off a space inside and painted it black.
View attachment 405615

View attachment 405616

The hatch is tiny so I'll only add a little detail inside and out.
View attachment 405622

Joined the top to the bottom and added pewter fender fronts. I'll bend them about later. The gun is only dry fitted.
View attachment 405618

I still can't get my head round how small this is at 1/72.
View attachment 405620

Positioned the damage/impact point.
View attachment 405617

Stay safe
Jim
Jim

Looking good so far.

Welcome to my normal Braille scale world. I'm having the exact opposite feeling with my 1/35 vignette!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Jim, think our friend Simon would approve.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Blimey Jim its a mini su that one.Dont think my clumsy mitts or peepers would let me handle kits this small.
Looking mighty fine.
Rich

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Once again thanks for your support.
The build is almost finished. Two large fuel drums were carried on each side. Many reference photos show one or more missing. The drums are held in place by metal bands. I cut away the drum parts from a couple of mounts and added bands to show one drum missing. I'll distort the bands a bit before fitting. I also added fillers using the smallest hex punch I had.
P1060507.JPG

P1060506.JPG

P1060505.JPG

One thing about this kit is there are no location pins or anything to shown where parts are added to the hull. I have drilled tiny holes along the sides to mark where the drums will fit after painting.
P1060508.JPG

P1060509.JPG

P1060511.JPG

P1060512.JPG

A couple of things are bugging me. All reference photos show spare track on the front with no brackets or fastening to hold them in place. Would they be welded on just as added armour or are there hidden bolts which would allow the track links to be taken off and used to repair damage??
Also the tow cable is coiled up and fitted on the hull side BUT the instructions tell you to cut off the ends - the shackle loop bits. So I can't figure out how the cable could be used? Many reference photos do not show the cable fitted like this but show more conventional fitting along the fender. Not sure about that :thinking:
ref3.jpg

Anyway onwards and upwards.
Stay safe
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jim
Great stuff so far, especially the missing fuel tank.... If you look at the track plates in your last image they look to be bolted on with eight bolts......

Greg_147

SMF Supporter
First Name
Greg
Hi Jim,

Looking fantastic so far. Regarding the track on the front, I believe these were bolted on, sometimes with 8, sometimes with 6. Some pictures show the bolts after the track has been removed.

1606389537123.png

Edit: Also, an idea for how to use that tow cable, if you want it to collect every bit of foliage the vehicle drives over!

Thanks,
Greg