1/87 Scale "Frankenseven" Halftrack

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I was digging through a bunch of broken..... parts missing, trashed and abused Minitanks I purchased for $5.00 USD about twenty or so years ago, when my jaundiced eye did spy a nearly whole SdKfz.7 Artillery tractor. I soon realized it had been stepped on and the windshield and one of the track assemblies was broken off and missing. Further digging produced another tractor but this one was configured for the 3.7 cm AA mount which was missing.....there were however a perfectly good pair of tracks on this one so now all I had to do was find a canvas top and a windshield which were both absent. At last I was able to locate the two errant pieces and I had a relatively whole vehicle to start a build with.......Oh did I mention the broken right front track guard that was the result of that same carpet collision?? What a "basket case"! Hence the name "FRANKENSEVEN"! Sooooooooo with all these "Body parts" I settled down at me trusty bench to see what could be done.........P1011239.JPGP1011245.JPGP1011246.JPGP1011241.JPGP1011242.JPGP1011243.JPGP1011244.JPGP1011247.JPGP1011248.JPGP1011250.JPGP1011251.JPG

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Don't you just love it when an idea comes right Rick, looking good.
Seat please.

First Name
john
Don't you just love resurrecting something I know I do. Restoring something to its former glory is most satisfying. Loving all the work with the plastic card your doing. Well on its way to being a Phoenix from the flames. Cheers John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Gentlemen, for your kind comments. It is starting to come back to life but I want it to have all the "whistles and bells" so there will be more scratchery coming up. I have tried "enhancing the track assemblies on previous builds but never to this extent. I won't know how successful I have been till the paint flies. Thanks again for dropping by, Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yesterday was a fairly productive day. I was able to get a good start on the interior detailing, still more to do in that area. The exterior is getting closer, with the largest mod. being the addition of the luggage rack that goes on the rear deck for the crapintheback. That will be the project for today. Here's the latest. Rick H.P1011252.JPGP1011254.JPGP1011256.JPGP1011257.JPGP1011259.JPGP1011262.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice update Rick. You have been busy. Are you making the stowage yourself or is it AM?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Paul and Andy. Whenever the Missus gets after me for spending too much time at the hobby bench I reply, "I'm teaching myself to be patient, careful and methodical....I'm not sure she's buying it , but that's my "lie" and I'm sticking to it!:smiling5: Cheers, Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's awesome Mr. Jones! I can live with the black eye but my Mrs. has ordered me to cut back on red meat.....I like mine cooked medium rare if you are sharing sir. Rick H.:smiling5:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thank you Paul and Andy. Whenever the Missus gets after me for spending too much time at the hobby bench I reply, "I'm teaching myself to be patient, careful and methodical....I'm not sure she's buying it , but that's my "lie" and I'm sticking to it!:smiling5: Cheers, Rick H.
Funny how life is, my Missus is always telling me "why don't you relax and work on your models and stop bothering about everything"
Easy for her to say, who's supposed to fuss and pester everyone within ear reach!?.....that would be me!
Someone's got to whip this place up every now and then.

Image result for yelling old man
......Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul, The "craprack" is my second iteration, they get easier as you go, just have to jump in and get your feet wet. Track blocks are way easier than they look, but if you are doing a lot of models at once I suspect that it would go faster as you gain momentum. It helps if you have a chopper, as each track assy. requires approx. 60 links and another 60 blocks on top of that. BTW, this set is my third iteration on trying to improve the rubber band abortion that Roco has presented to us. I'll post the other two when I get to the end of this project. Rick H.