1/87 Sheaves & block & tackle

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
efe8c4da30d6b5aa4934579a13394cb4-jpg.348753
There’s a diorama: an M578 recovering a C15TA armoured truck on top of a German bunker from the Second World War. I’m guessing this is Dutch Army, given both those vehicles were in use there at some point and German bunkers might just be found on Dutch military installations.

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Like the layout of your dio. Paul ! I read somewhere it was required to use three Famos to recover one Tiger but I'm quite certain that rule was roundly ignored, based on what was available at the time. Look forward to further developments. Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Steve & Rick. At a seminar on Bergepanther design & usage, it was noted that the armored recovery vehicles were used to recover armor under fire or observation to safe areas for Famos to take over. Famos then were used to tow recovered armor to the rear maint. depots for repair. Topography had a lot to do with how many Famos &/or armored vehicles were required to tow Tigers to the rear. Because Bergepanthers and Famos were so prized, they were not risked unnecessarily. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Steve. Some great shots. Love the view slit film. Is the photo secret, or can you share it? PaulE

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul, will you be installing a "spade" on your Bergei or use it as is? BTW, I found Mr. Dewire's reference to your geometrical "snow scape" quite humorous! Old Hawkeye doesn't miss much.
Rick
H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Not at all Paul. Its a well known photo. Sadly I cant find it anywhere :smiling5: It was a Tiger being towed in North Africa. I will keep searching. In the meantime here are some more Famo pics

tumblr_ph1xvfPLzS1ws46zho5_500.jpgs-l400.jpgimages.jpgBundesarchiv_Bild_101I-311-0904-04A-_Italien-_Zugkraftwagen-_Panzer_VI_-Tiger_I-.jpgBW-Photo-German-Tiger-Tank-Under-Tow-WWII.jpgc830d8a1ab105cdcc19e00cf2b622718.jpg17933380753_f9a308a068_b.jpg35d4340b68583f048cfa20733ff6e8aa.jpg4b85f0c9d28ceecbda6b9477429629b7.jpg

Reactions: PJR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Rick,

I do miss lots my friend and I always love Paul's stuff. It is amazing what you guys accomplish in this tiny scale. Anyway, I thought I would give Moses Paul a few pics of the early Bergepanther with winch and spade. There were also trials that had to be made with the use of tow bars and lots of driver training too...

Here is the pic that Stevie was probably talking about, but I could be wrong,
I am surprised they hung a warning sign on the back of the Tiger!!!

The Bergepanther was built by Henschel using the plans supplied by MAN. MAN was responsible for the Panther program overall and the first Bergepanther built by Henschel was sent to MAN in Nürnberg for tests and trials. Here, they evaluated and made improvements in the design. Here is what the first Bergepanther with winch and spade looked like,
Here shown with the spade in the lowered position and then in the raised position,348890
Next up are the trial runs of the Bergepanther using a tow bar. MAN have added another towing pintle above the normal one. These tests were made in the winter of '43 - '44 at the test area in Hainberg near Nürnberg. Notice the snow Paul,
On normal, mostly flat terrain or on roads, it was no problem. A close up of the tow bar and pintle. But,
This was not a perfect solution for towing a vehicle off-road. The lower pintle was mounted too low on the chassis to be used. The higher pintle had a problem on uneven terrain with the tow bar binding on the spade,
This, in turn, caused the spade to bind up and it couldn't be lowered with the winch cable like it was supposed too. So Paul, if you decide to add the spade or a few details, I hope these pictures help a bit along with the useless information………..

Prost
Allen

PS, MAN is the Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg for those who wanted to know!!!!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
OOOOO... Panther trivia I like it! Lovely pics Allen, if Paul can't use them I sure can. Where is that "Hair Farmer" anyway??LOL...BTW I think the photo Steve was referring to was in Bruce Culvers publication of "Panzer Colors lll" page 58 at the top. HTH Paul.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great pics guys. Is this better? The non winch/non spade Bergepanthers were used to flat tow & as fulcrums or stationary mounts for unditching. Here the winch/spade version is the fulcrum while the nude ones are doing the pull & will flat tow the Tiger. Yes, or should I just add a Famo to the first scene above?
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Your call, I'm lovin'n it either way you decide. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cabled up the block and tackle for the pull. Not as tough as I thought. Great moldings from Wiseman Services.
A working Xfour block & tackle-whodathunkit. Maybe Xthree, I fergit. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I can honestly say I have never done any of this string surgery. How will this span be kept taught between subjects? Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Bro, you don't mess around at all...I can't wait to see what's up your sleeve for the next step. With the 40 ton winch from the Bergepanther and this block and tackle, pulling a 56 ton Sturmtiger out of the snowbank should be a breeze…...……………..

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great photos from both Steve and Dude1.
4 to one pull ? Depending on the ground factor If I remember right, will look good Paul .

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
RickH, the two Famos are resin & the Flak Berge has some wheel weights inside. Gravity plus the pewter pulley block should do for the Tiger over the bank. Thanks Scottie. Thanks Allen, went back to original naked Bergepanther & two Famos. Dzohn, did a review of the physics involved & came up w/X7 (w/o friction factor) as seven cables are supporting the live weight of the Tiger, a ten ton pull ought to do it easily. C&Cs welcomed. PaulE