1/9 Wellington 'v' bust

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is my first foray into painting a resin bust. This is the subject:
DSCF0148.JPG

I sourced this from Mitches Military Models, in Cumbria via a cheeky bid on his ebay shop - at a very good price....................

I thoroughly degreased, and gave a coat of primer.................
DSCF0180.JPGDSCF0179.JPGDSCF0182.JPG
l think I need to have another go with the primer!, looks like I thinned it a bit too much! At this high magnification everything shows up - looks like His Grace has a load of pimples on his forehead - I'll have to deal with that & reprime!
I 'm going to use a mixture of oils and acrylics, but this is somewhat an unknown territory for me. I think some metallics will be needed for the decorations & braid
This is probably going to be a slow process, and I can see a lot of paint removal & redoing will be needed
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I looks a nice bust Dave, good luck with it, I don't do much in the figure line, and may try one myself one day. Watching with interest.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ian,
I'd been thinking about doing a larger figure after my 1/16 SWAT, but the cost put me off - it had to be cheap enough that If I made a real pig's ear of it, it wouldn't hurt too much! I bid on a 1/9 Napoleon, but didn't win that - so I put a cheeky bid of £10 on Wellington. I was the only bidder, so total cost including p&p <£14 .
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Great choice Dave. I've done all three in their Waterloo Commanders Range. Mitches are currently offering the set for £55.00, which isn't a bad price.

Have fun.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
I did look at Blucher, but I realised that apart from painting a soldier, he was an old man. At Waterloo, he was 72, I think I'm going to be pushed to do Wellington, who was 46, let alone an aged faces!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good luck Dave.
It will be interesting to follow .

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice one Dave.Nice to see you having a go at a resin bust.Watching with interest.
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First Paint on - The tunic is painted in oils - brilliant red. The head has an overall basic skin tone, ivory eye whites & carefully applied pupils DSCF0189.JPG
His Grace looks a little sallow & goggle eyed, but, early days. According to paintings by Goya & Lawrence, the Duke had dark grey blue eyes, so that'll be the next step. Wikipedia has a page " Arms, titles, honours and styles " on the Duke, and I hope to identify some of the fancy decorations, and hence their colours.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
I did start with crimson, but that looked a little dull, so, Brilliant Red. My oils aren't of the highest quality, Reeves, but they'll do for the moment. I'm still pondering on how to display the Duke - obviously a rod inserted into the base, but I don't have anything for a plinth, any ideas on where to source one? Will need to be 60 -70mm square/round.
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Dave. Historex have a wide range of plinths. Just go to the website and have a look in the 'find' section.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I primed the braid & buttons with Vallejo Golden Yellow paint before using Mr Hobby Gold paint ( the only gold paint I could find in my box! ). Sash painted with Royal Blue oil.
DSCF0196.JPG
a wash of dark ink will bring out the texture on the braid

The head, definitely a work in progress!

DSCF0192.JPGDSCF0193.JPG
A lot more blending needed on certain areas (!), but I think he's getting there. I'm finding that I can only paint the small detail for about 5 minutes, then my hands start to shake & I have to stop!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
More work on the torso - the decorations have been given a black priming coat DSCF0199.JPG
The head - I've redone the eyes, as I wasn't happy with the result............DSCF0202.JPG
They still need tidying up - even with a 000 brush, I'm finding it a struggle to do such small work - I can't keep my hands still enough!
DSCF0203.JPGDSCF0204.JPG

I've blocked in the hair with a light brown, I'll darken it up & add some grey at the temples.
That collar is going to be a bit tricky....................
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Coming along very nicely Dave. Looks like you're having fun.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Peter.
You certainly are enjoying this and making progress.
Keep it going .

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice progress Dave, it ain't easy painting faces. Sorry to hear about your hand, take a break when needed :thumb2: ...
Steven

First Name
Gary
Following this with some interest as I live about 3 miles from the Duke of Wellington estate in Hampshire. In fact every piece of land around me as far as the eye can see is owned by the estate and gifted by a grateful King George after Waterloo

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bit late now, but i always use Tamiyas Grey Primer in a can. Works a treat and dries quick and very Matt, can speed up the drying process with the use of a hair dryer on a warm setting, dont wont to melt the reisn. :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I took the paint off the eyes, for the third time, for another go - I also went over the hair with a darker brown DSCF0210.JPG
That's the best I've done, so far - I've managed to keep the hands steady, today
Dave