14TH CENTURY WATCH/SIGNAL TOWER...RUIN.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have been busy working away on a 14th Century watch/signal tower. This is quite big and is made from real stone bricks and real tiles. It has had some weathering and is going to sit on a nice wooden bowl with foliage around it, also foliage will be on the tower and roof area. It isn't round as I wanted some nice angles and slipped stones etc, it has taken be ages to construct using a cardboard back to apply the bricks to.

Build so far.

UPDATES FURTHER DOWN AND ON PAGE TWO + WEATHERING TECHNIQUES USED.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 79257

View attachment 79258

View attachment 79259

View attachment 79260

DSCF2711.JPG

DSCF2712.JPG

DSCF2714.JPG

DSCF2715.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks pretty good to me Si. The photo background makes it hard to look at, but the brick work looks good.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Looks pretty good to me Si. The photo background makes it hard to look at, but the brick work looks good.
Ta Joe, picture taken on the stairs, so really not the best. But it is a work in progress, still some more weathering and detailing to do. I know it may not be too exciting but all the little bricks too ages to glue, then sand, then a PVA and grey brick dust filler, then the weathering...phew, something different anyway.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice job Si, its in camo nice blend with the back round :rolleyes:,

do like your brick work, did you make or buy the stones, as you can see so much work has gone in to it, and the painting weathering is top notch

looking forward to seeing the rest done please do post pics ,like to how you do the foliage :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
nice job Si, its in camo nice blend with the back round :rolleyes:,do like your brick work, did you make or buy the stones, as you can see so much work has gone in to it, and the painting weathering is top notch

looking forward to seeing the rest done please do post pics ,like to how you do the foliage :D
Thanks Moni, glad you like, yeah, it does look like it is blending in to the stair carpet lol. It started out as a lighthouse kit, but the there were issues then I saw an old picture of a noblemen near an old tower and thought...hmmmmm. I love the look of old ruins there is something magical about them. So, the bricks came with with the kit as did the tiles, but all the faffing, cutting, trimming, filling etc was down to me. Glad you like it, will be adding more pics as I do more.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now I like that it looks so realistic I can imagine rapunzel looking out for her fella :smiling3:

Seriously though it looks cool mate you'd never think it was a model if it was put in the right setting

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Now I like that it looks so realistic I can imagine rapunzel looking out for her fella :smiling3: Seriously though it looks cool mate you'd never think it was a model if it was put in the right setting
Cheers mate, needs some more weathering and then I want to grass the tower itself in places and add other growth, I want that overgrown, yet one you want to go and explore look.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Sounds cool , any chance of getting a William Wallace to go with it :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Sounds cool , any chance of getting a William Wallace to go with it :D
Funnily enough I have that set of Airfix Sheriff of Nottingham and his men in 1/72, they may work, forgot about them.

P

Paul P

Cool work young Si me lad, yer missed yer vocation. Yer should have been a brickie;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Mmmm, different and original :cool:You will do a genial work! I'm sure about it ;)

Polux
Thank you Polux, trying my best mate to get this to look good. Your confidence in me will make we try harder.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cool work young Si me lad, yer missed yer vocation. Yer should have been a brickie;)
Thanks Paul, yeah if you want your bricks wonky lol. Glad you like it.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
That looks awesome Si.
Cheers Mike, it is coming along nicely, thanks for the awesome.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
looks superb top weathering
Ta mucho John, weathering, foliage etc normally takes longer than the build, both the build and the weathering etc have taken about as long as each other...getting there, slowly.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
WEATHERING TECHNIQUES AND FOLIAGE USED ON THIS BUILD.

The structure is built around a card framework using small cast bricks and tiles. These are built up using the same technique as a real wall, with staggered bricks, to trim the pieces some small modellers snips and sanding strips were used. The brickwork is stuck together using undiluted PVA, this bonds the bricks and also forms a fixing to the card backing.

Once dry the whole surface was coated in a mixture of undiluted PVA and grey fine powder, this is mixed and the brushed on and smoothed off using a lollipop stick. Once completed it was then wiped over using some kitchen towel-this leaves a rough texture in places and also serves as a mortar for certain gaps. This was left to dry for 24 hrs before I used a sanding block with medium course grade to smooth off and bring some of the original colour through. After completion the whole build was wiped down to remove dust etc, I used a bit of white spirit to wipe over and then dried off straight after with a clean cloth.

I thought I would try something different, not knowing if it would work or not but he who dares, normally ends up re-painting their model, but in this case...it worked. After my rusty liner model I still had the cotton buds with the rust pigments on the end from taking the rust back in places to show the white-ish superstructure. I dipped these into some white spirit to create a wash and wiped over the surface, this left a various light brownish stains that looked really good, so was rather pleased with my bravery. The rest of the weathering is done using enamels, black, dark green and a light grey. This were again applied in an almost dry-brush method and then I used a clean cotton bud dipped in white spirit and smeared downwards to create a darkened wash, paying attention to crevices, lintels etc. Once complete it was left to dry over night.

Foliage is a combination of summer grass mix applied to around the base, crevices and inbetween the roof tiles, this was added to by using longer self stick grass clumps, bought from the forum shop, these look superb and really break up the normal smaller grass areas. The wall growth is two greens of foliage clump foam just added to create a feature. Also added are some 'flower-soft' to represent flowers. All the grasses etc have been applied via a small brush or toothpick using undiluted PVA.

Once dry the model will have a clear matt varnish coat to help seal and protect.

Now the model has had a first coat of matt varnish to seal it it was time to house it on the board, in this case a hand made wooden bowl I picked up from a charity shop for £1.99-the round bowl accents the roundness of the piece, well that was my thinking anyway. Once it was sited and fastened into place it was time to plan the area around it. I used my good old supply of broken slate to produce some hardness and contrast to the tower. This was then filled in using PVA and grasses, plus the clump grasses to add texture and a different colour. Also added are some small branches, to represent trees, that are from a 1/35 resin tree set-these are spare branches. Again some flower-soft flowers added for colour.

More to do so will update. Thanks for reading.