1st build Subaru Impreza Monte Carlo

D

dougie

Hi all, this is my first completed build full stop!

I started this model and made a mess of it maybe 7 years ago and this last few months I have tried my best to recover it and use it to practice lots of techniques.

All criticism is welcome as that's the best way to improve!

Build thread:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/subaru-98-monte-carlo-beginners-recovery-attempt.29941/

Cheers

View media item 8299View media item 8300View media item 8302View media item 8301View media item 8297View media item 8296

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think that you are hard on yourself Dougie, the original finish is top notch, the build is quality and the newer 'rally weathered' version really looks the part.

D

dougie

Cheers eddie, I do tend to be very critical of my work, I wish I was easier going at times Haha. I think a touch of mat cote is required on the dirt but I don't have any. I may put some semi or gloss to make it look wet and use the model to try my first dio but atm I wanted to finish it up and move on to another build- a part built Ferrari from eBay for more practice.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great to me. The dirty version especially.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
.and that's your first build ??? Looks good from where I'm sitting. I'm wating on the second one Dougie.

D

dougie

Cheers guys. Appreciate the comments.

I'm going for a really clean build with the next one but it will still be mostly oob. I will be taking a good while over the paint job as the scoobys clear is still soft and when weathering it I left a finger print on the bonnet where the clear was on too thick to soon between coats.

S

steve scan

Looks great Dougie, really like the used look, you seem to have caught it perfectly.

First Name
Robert
Awesome really looks good I can almost hear the burble of that scooby!!!

Regards

Robert

J

jono

A Great looking Subaru Dougie, as im building the Tamiya Monte Mini & want to give it the Rallied look. I would appreciate any tips you could give me on how to weather the windscreen to show the swept area of the wipers... :smiling3: :smiling3:

John.

D

dougie

\ said:
A Great looking Subaru Dougie, as im building the Tamiya Monte Mini & want to give it the Rallied look. I would appreciate any tips you could give me on how to weather the windscreen to show the swept area of the wipers... :smiling3: :smiling3:
John.
Sounds good, look forward to that build. I used the Tamiya weathering master and estimated the lines the wipers take but... I've seen a thread where a guy masked the shape out and very lightly misted a brown paint oN the window. It looked ace. If I find it I'll add the link. I also used humbrol weathering powders and they work well on edges , on some bits I put Tamiya mud weathering stick to give a 3d effect and coated it with the humbrol weathering powders using decal fix and water. You can then reactivate it with water for ever.

Cheers for looking

D

dougie

\ said:
John.
http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=291&t=69964

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_24_Subaru_Impreza_WRC_01_07406__about40413.html

J

jono

\ said:
Sounds good, look forward to that build. I used the Tamiya weathering master and estimated the lines the wipers take but... I've seen a thread where a guy masked the shape out and very lightly misted a brown paint oN the window. It looked ace. If I find it I'll add the link. I also used humbrol weathering powders and they work well on edges , on some bits I put Tamiya mud weathering stick to give a 3d effect and coated it with the humbrol weathering powders using decal fix and water. You can then reactivate it with water for ever.
Cheers for looking
Thanks Dougie, ive got some Acrylic washes & one of them is a for a dust finish which im going to use & was thinking of getting the Tamiya Mud stick to build up the mud in places. Just was not sure about doing the windows. At least the windscreen is a separate part to the other windows so it should be easier to practice on LOL... Cheers.

John.

J

jono

\ said:
http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=291&t=69964
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_24_Subaru_Impreza_WRC_01_07406__about40413.html
Great links Dougie, Once again Thanks

John.