200mm 33 Regiment of Foot Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

IMG_3060-e1575362163730.jpgimages (16).jpg

This will be my next attempt, a Mitches V Bust sculpted by Pavol Ovecka. I didn't realise when ordering it, not being a 'Sharpe' fan, that it was meant to predict Pete Postlethwaite as Obadiah Hakeswill, a sergeant of the 33 Regiment of Foot.

The kit:

100_7598.JPG

A bit of clean-up needed, and you'll notice that the visor is unusable, more like a piece of mould flash.

The question as to whether the face is a good likeness or not proved irrelevant as I ditched it after struggling manfully with it for many hours. It suffered from the usual over-wrinkling around the eyes which this sculptor is often guilty of - trying to make sense of them proved impossible and he looked about a 100 anyway. I next tried a Reedees head, which went OK, but I wasn't particularly pleased with the end result, so head number three looks like this:

100_7599.JPG

This is a Tommy's War head from a bust that I had already stripped down ready to repaint. I've given him a set of whiskers to help hide any unevenness caused by the removal of a chin strap. The shako was cut from the original head and a peak has been added from plastic card. Blimey....

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Peter, He was my favourite character in the Sharpe series and he was superbly played by the late Pete Postlethwaite. As he spoke to a picture of mother in his hat..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Postlethwaite was a good actor. He was fantastic in “Brassed off”, and it is a source of continued annoyance to me that the end of his speech at the Albert Hall is always cut....
Funnily enough, I thought it looked like him but never made the connection.....

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - I must watch it some time - never seem to get around to it.

Tim - A great actor and very versatile. As at home in British TV dramas as he was in Hollywood blockbusters. Pity I've binned his head....

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. Ok I’m seated and waiting for your Magic

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you had a spare head for this one. I've seen the original one at shows before and always thought he needed a bit of Botox on all the wrinkles. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

3rd head's the charm then!

Sounds like a scene from Red Dwarf with Kryten, and spare head 3!!

Another piece of good looking milliput work too, you are getting to be a bit of a putty guru, Peter.

Hopefully a good day with head 3, today.

The weather seems to have turned again, looks really wet down South

Enjoy the painting, should be a distraction from the rain

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - I'll do my best.

Stevie J - The eyes are a real problem with these busts - it seems that a lot of people just ignore them and accept a rough finish. I was struggling along, thinking that there must be a n easier solution.......... Having painted this head before, I know it should work.......

Steve H - Rain all night and it's still pouring this morning - should keep the mosquitoes down at least. The head still has a lot of character, so hopefully it should work. Getting to love Millipiut - very versatile and can be worked wet like a clay, which is the sort of sculpting I understand.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Shame about Pete, it would have been nice to see you do him.
And he made a quite 'cartoony' character more believable in the otherwise not very good Sharpe TV series

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Make yourself comfortable, and no giggling.

Neal - It is a shame about Pete, but this hobby is meant to be about having fun. I must admit that the episodes of the TV series I have seen have left me somewhat underwhelmed. Best Napoleonic move? - Ridley Scott's ''The Duellists''

duel_600.jpg

Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine there.

So, the head:

100_7605.JPG100_7607.JPG

Hmmmm.....

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another auburn haired head, looks good too and reminds me of someone?

Neil Dudgeon.jpg

Looks like you'll be having a red day today?

I'll be dealing with 1,785 E-mails, as I am now back on the works server!!!

It should go quickly, if I don't slide into a coma LOL

I have a ""working from home"" risk assessment to do too, so a full shift for me.

Have a good day with the paint and hopefully the weather isn't too grim!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Yep, the spitting image of Neal Dudgeon! I did some more work on the head last night, mainly roughing up the sideburns a bit to make them less regular. Toady will be a red, white and yellow day - not sure that Pete Postlethwaite's uniform is accurate, as it appears that the 33 had only red facings.

The working at home risk assessment will probably reveal that you're working in a totally unsafe environment and will have to be evacuated - at least that would happen here. Heatwave on the way for next week apparently - confusing?

D

Deleted member 6559

This one's done:

100_7608.JPG100_7609.JPG100_7610.JPG

The torso was quite difficult to paint as, apart from being quite roughly finished in places, the whole was covered with a rough, gritty texture. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but as it also covered things that should have been smooth, like the buckle and badge, I assume it was not. Either way, it meant a slight compromise in the finish in some areas (excuses, excuses).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Late in but caught the ending. Third head lucky I'd say 'cause he has come out very well.
Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice colourful bust Peter, great choice in head too with this one having more emotion in him:thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

As you could probably tell, I wasn't that happy with it at first, but after walking away and coming back to it after a few hours I'm much happier. I think I'd just spent too long working on it and got a little 'pant-blind'.