200mm Imperial Japanese Army Bust C19th

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

ed74accdc58e40237d5ad97e873ff891.jpg

My next project will be an attempt to depict a Japanese soldier of the Russo-Japanese War. The parts will be made up of an Altores studio head and a Verlinden torso:

65606838_2594783370749226_8379747392274038784_n_1024x1024.png1401-2.jpg

When I got hold of the Altores heads I wanted to find a way of using them (the Western head is now a Luftwaffe pilot), and this was the one I bought the female samurai kit for that turned out to be too small. Plan B involved realising that C19th Japanese uniforms were closely based on French examples, and that with a very little tweaking the Foreign Legion torso (appalling kit head binned) could be used. The shoulders were way too wide, but by cutting off the epaulettes I was left with the shoulder boards and a good fit.

This chap will have obviously been on campaign - his hair is a bit long and his uniform is none too smart. Perhaps a little far-fetched, but it might work:

100_7247.JPG

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome aboard chaps. Really this is all about that fantastic head. I hope I can do it justice.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm sure you will Peter.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I’m here but my head is spinning with all these builds getting done as fast as I get sat down. Great work Peter

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Frankenstein has nothing on you!

He would be envious of your production line LOL

Like the idea and it pushes your other skills too.

I know you always thing of yourself as a painter primarily but you do have some keen skills with all your ""modifications""

Enjoy the adjustments and painting that good looking head, a very modern haircut but why not!

Good to hear you have plenty of stuff to follow up with too, keeps you from getting bored.

Its going to be a busy day here, getting the patient settled back, but its going to be a ""do as your told"" thing

That will NOT go down well, but I can walk away, with her sticks LOL

Have a good day with the paints, it bright but cold already

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

John - :thumb2:

Lee - I am a bit obsessed with this modelling lark at the moment.

Steve - I do enjoy the modelling part of the hobby, but I'm always impatient to get to the paint. This one is all about the head to be honest, the context being way down the list of priorities.

So, nurse Steve (Steve's wife Anna has had an emergency hip operation folks), you have the upper hand! The power, the power! Wish her well from me.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looking forward to seeing this one. Looks like I arrived in time for this one :smiling2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome Steve - this won't be a long one though.

The head:

100_7262.JPG100_7263.JPG100_7264.JPG

Still needs a bit of tidying up, but it's basically there. I've tried for more dramatic lighting and have darkened the palette with the addition of red leather to give a more tanned complexion.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Well he looks really good. I didn't imagine him like that from the unpainted head in your first post. In your mind's eye do you see the end result before you start or does it just evolve? Whatever I do like him and the whole idea is clever.
Frankenstein has nothing on you!
Steve has a point :tongue-out3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim.

It's always a surprise the way these things turn out. Painting uncovers all sorts of lumps and bumps as you go along, and anyway it's such a struggle that I'm always relieved to get any finish at all - the idea of having a vision of the finished piece is just wishful thinking. As for the Frankenstein thing, well it's usually an attempt to save semi-failures.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Did I get here in time Peter?? Dang...you've already done the head...nice. Good thing you didn't yellow him into a stereotype. The sculpt lends itself to enhance your painting skills and it shows. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard. Good to know you approve of this one - as if I'd paint him yellow! This is indeed a fantastic sculpt and painting it was a complete pleasure.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie and John - many thanks.

Jason - Cheers. The hair was first blocked in with black brown, then a brush lightly loaded with Luftwaffe blue was dragged over the surface to catch the highlights. I then re-drew the shadows and lines with black and then finally added some highlights with the Luftwaffe blue lightened with white. The idea is that black hair will to some extent reflect a blue sky.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done with the superb head, he looks like a shaggy Bruce Lee,

Are you doing much reconstruction on the shoulders and epaulettes or leaving them alone?

Different belt and strap layout too?

Looks like another bright day and another delivery, which I shall have to manage all alone!

That will challenge Anna's patience to the limit!

I can already hear minute guidance being passed on from upstairs, thankfully its only a small delivery this week.

Have fun with the body and the light

Regards

Steve H