54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

First Name
Andrew
Thanks Neil.
Too much pain to work at the moment and I don't get sick pay, but I'm alright financially, thank the Lord. I'm quite familiar with pain, so not feeling too sorry for myself. I just pray and find distractions!

1st and 4th Cuirassiers had red collars. Choice is yours!
Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you don't mess around when you Alter figures!
This is going to be Epic!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, John
Thank you kindly.

Now for the Cuirassier himself.
I need his leg under the horse to set the angle so I can get all the other stuff like the blanket looking right, so it’s time to get on with it.
I did some more drastic surgery to get the correct twist in his legs and pelvis-
Look away now if you’re squeamish!

Neil
Hi Neil, just watching the surgerrrrrrrrrrrr.............THUD!!!!

...after a whiff of smelling salts...I think I need to sit down to watch the amputations and gyration of the joint sockets anddddddddd.............THUD!!!!

Ok ok I'm fine. Good stuff there Neil...anything close enough is good enough for me too. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Neil,
Some fantastic work going on there. I know it may be a bit late in the day but Airfix Magazine ran a series of articles around the 1970's based on the Charge and their figures.
Mike.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
Some fantastic work going on there. I know it may be a bit late in the day but Airfix Magazine ran a series of articles around the 1970's based on the Charge and their figures.
Mike.
Thanks very much Mike and Jason
I do remember a series in Airfix Magazine by Sid Horton on the Charge of the Light Brigade- I followed it avidly as a teenager and it is where I learned all these techniques from. :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

More brave and bold chopping Neil. Fantastic stuff.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank you Peter.
So on the subject of accuracy, here's an instance where I just can't help myself.
The trouble with this kind of thing is once you know something you can't UN-know it. Ignorance is definitely bliss!
Remember the horseshoes?
I had originally used horseshoes from the Historex blacksmith set, which I already had, but I only had enough for one horse. Fortunately I had actually only attached one. When the new ones arrived(horseshoes only) I realised with horror that I had got it completely wrong!
IMG_20191105_195642577.jpg
NOT ONLY did the new horseshoes have nails in where the originals had none, but they are labelled front and rear….!
IMG_20191105_195548119.jpg
Who knew?

(school French lessons weren’t a waste of time after all…..)

So not be hounded out of town by the rivet (or, to be more accurate, nail) -counters I have changed them.

As far as I can tell, the front ones have one lip in the centre and the rear ones have two lips at about 10 to 2, and Historex, to their credit have actually shown this!
IMG_20191105_195518584.jpg
So here is the result
IMG_20191105_212320251.jpg
Aaaaah, that’s much better! PHEW!

The filler needs some more work, though……
cheers for now
Neil

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Blimey! I thought rivet counting was a rocky road to go down, but horse shoe detailing! Well that's a completely different level LOL. I admire your desire to get it done accurately

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Blimey! I thought rivet counting was a rocky road to go down, but horse shoe detailing! Well that's a completely different level LOL. I admire your desire to get it done accurately
I thought that would bring you out of the woodwork,Steve :blow-kiss-2: ! I did promise to find something for you, didn't I?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That last picture of the horse made me think "Rolling on Floor laughing" Like he has just heard the worlds best joke...
Not a put down Neil the work is brilliant its just the way my mind works at times.
Never knew about the front and rear shoe thing. I learned something today!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
This is certainly putting a new meaning to "adapting figures". Most impressive work - way beyond me. I am surprised those horse shoes aren't left and right as well.
Fascinating stuff - keep it up.
Jim

Last edited:
First Name
Andrew
Neil,
Nice to see all the effort you're doing on Dobbin's feet! Looking at that last shot (worthy of an adult publication!), how accurate will he or she be between the back legs?? We know that the rider had his crotch completely removed, so I know he's been sorted! You can usually rely on me to lower the tone!!
Andy

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
thank you Andy for 'raising' the issue.....
I thought about it already and decided I couldn't be bothered.

but now I'm thinking about it again :anguished:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Peter.
So on the subject of accuracy, here's an instance where I just can't help myself.
The trouble with this kind of thing is once you know something you can't UN-know it. Ignorance is definitely bliss!
Remember the horseshoes?
I had originally used horseshoes from the Historex blacksmith set, which I already had, but I only had enough for one horse. Fortunately I had actually only attached one. When the new ones arrived(horseshoes only) I realised with horror that I had got it completely wrong!
View attachment 362709
NOT ONLY did the new horseshoes have nails in where the originals had none, but they are labelled front and rear….!
View attachment 362710
Who knew?

(school French lessons weren’t a waste of time after all…..)

So not be hounded out of town by the rivet (or, to be more accurate, nail) -counters I have changed them.

As far as I can tell, the front ones have one lip in the centre and the rear ones have two lips at about 10 to 2, and Historex, to their credit have actually shown this!
View attachment 362711
So here is the result
View attachment 362712
Aaaaah, that’s much better! PHEW!

The filler needs some more work, though……
cheers for now
Neil
Hi Neil, had I known you were going to be accurate in the horse shoes I'd have told you as I had experienced at a friends local stables and there were horse shoes on the walls and I thought they were for different horses just like human shoes until he told me.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil, had I known you were going to be accurate in the horse shoes I'd have told you as I had experienced at a friends local stables and there were horse shoes on the walls and I thought they were for different horses just like human shoes until he told me.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard
cheers Richard
If I had known I'm sure you would have my first thought........:nerd:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
thank you Andy for 'raising' the issue.....
I thought about it already and decided I couldn't be bothered.

but now I'm thinking about it again :anguished:
Thanks for that Now I have that joke bouncing around in my head again. Can't tell it on here though.

Reactions: JR