54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Neil,
Lovely modelling mate you are really capturing the fallen rider and horse.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank Scottie.

Moving on ...
I carved out the gauntlet cuffs and trimmed away the epaulettes.IMG_20191105_195440447.jpg
And I created the top of our man’s head with milliput, which led me on to the helmet.

It’s not shown in the painting but I think it will be a natural piece of foreground interest.
IMG_20191102_161153153_HDR.jpg
I carved off the flying horse tail, and removed the chin scales(both of which will have to be remodelled depending on the position of the helmet on the ground), hollowed it out and pyrogravured the bearskin turban.
IMG_20191105_205939593_HDR.jpg
So that’s a nice challenge I’ve just created for no good reason- the inside of a Napoleonic cuirassier helmet!

Many thanks for your continued interest

Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Morning all!
Well, despite the distractions of grandchildren and household chores and changing a burst tyre in the pouring rain (with no spare ,just a useless bottle of expanding foam grrrr! :angry:) I had quite a productive weekend.
I filled and sculpted the cuirassier’s hips and arms with Milliput and I started to think about the horse’s tail and what position it should be; and it came to me that the tail would be a good way to support the Scots Grey horse in mid-air.

So I poked a bit of piano wire up the poor horse’s bum and drilled out the grey’s hoof and Voila!IMG_20191107_211133378.jpg
But the more I admired my ingenuity the more dissatisfied I was with the pose of the Grey, it wasn’t nearly dynamic enough.

So I butchered him again and altered 3 of his legs!
IMG_20191110_181710970_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191110_181719739_HDR.jpg
I left the right hind leg alone for now as it is the load-bearing leg and it will be stronger, but I think I might have to bite the bullet. We’ll see.

I might change the position of the wire altogether, anyway, but here it is at the moment.
IMG_20191110_182006948.jpg
Thanks for looking

Neil

Off to find a spare wheel for a Honda Jazz!:rolling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I can see movement...excellent Neil on the mid-air propping through the bum...err I mean with the tail. The Honda spare doughnut wheels are pricy to replace. My CRV just lost the spare due to my negligence of not pumping it regularly and it shredded when driving to the tyre shop.

Cheers,
Richard

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
It's looking dynamic!
Fantastic butchery and the downed cuirassier looks great.
Jon.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I can see movement...excellent Neil on the mid-air propping through the bum...err I mean with the tail. The Honda spare doughnut wheels are pricy to replace. My CRV just lost the spare due to my negligence of not pumping it regularly and it shredded when driving to the tyre shop.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard
the Jazz wheel is not too bad actually- it's a very dull, anonymous-looking car but incredibly reliable

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Neil I'm sorry to say I've just caught up with this, but I'm glad I did. Some fantastic work going on, really liking all the alterations your doing. It's looking great so far.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Continuing to enjoy seeing what you’re achieving, even if some of your words have made me wince!!
Andy
I had no idea you were such a sensitive soul, Andy.
Or is that due to the shingles....?
hope you're feeling a bit better these days?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The poor chap under the 'orse is looking a lot better now you have filled him out a bit! As for the mid-air solution; Brilliant idea and the new pose really helps it look like the running horse is trying his best not to trample the fallen horse. This just keeps getting better every time I look in.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Great job you're doing on this. Really interesting to follow your thinking and how you sort things.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
The poor chap under the 'orse is looking a lot better now you have filled him out a bit! As for the mid-air solution; Brilliant idea and the new pose really helps it look like the running horse is trying his best not to trample the fallen horse. This just keeps getting better every time I look in.
Thanks Ian.
Body language is a very subtle thing- if it's not right we know instinctively - even in horses!
That's what makes altering an existing pose such a minefield, once you change one element, all sorts of other bits need to change as well.
That's why I carved away the cuirassier's right arm- the existing creases just weren't right.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
.. wow... i'm really looking forward to see this done....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil
Great job you're doing on this. Really interesting to follow your thinking and how you sort things.
Jim
Cheers Ian,
I suppose it is a bit different from the engineering sort of mind-set you need with a tank.
Wait till you see me do a tank!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
.. wow... i'm really looking forward to see this done....
Hi Greg
Good to see you here!
I found your Brown Water Navy in completed dioramas the other day, and I finally joined the dots and realised I know you from the other place!
WOW! I really admired it in progress and it was good to find it finished.
cheers
Neil

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Morning All!

Having altered the pose of the grey to my satisfaction I started to work on the positioning in the air and I just couldn’t get the composition right.

In the end I decided to dump the tail idea and after a couple of abortive methods I finally arrived at this!
IMG_20191113_204515530.jpg

IMG_20191113_204619293.jpg

And especially for Andy I have gender-assigned the horse.

I figured it was easier to add than to subtract………

thanks for looking in
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Very impressive work Neil. Glad the French Neddy has a gender.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can this get any better I thought, then the flying horse ! :thumb2:x 10
Your knowledge of anatomy is something else Neil.