First Name
Dave
Absolutely beautiful work.

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I don't know why but my lap top has just had a fit and posted the photos before i put the words in.

Panther G in 1/48 scale and it was a right pig to build too. I tried to take the wheels & tracks off for painting one side was ok but, the other side just exploded so there was track all over the place and one wheel went AWOL. Got there in the end.

Thanks Patrick for the snow idea.

The inspiration

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Happy to help my friend! Just wait till you see my tips for doing rust!

Lovely stuff but brrrrr! I'm cold just looking at it! The paint-job is really cool, did you use tape to mask it off? and the dirt effect on the schurtzen is spot-on too! Well done!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I thought all was quiet on the Western Front John, and this is worth waiting for.

Cracking bit of work...Is this what is called 'splinter cammo.' ?

Very well done. One 'bucket' Tee shirt on the way!!

Cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
No masking, i ran out half way through the painting (opps!!). Now, the best bit. Straight on by brush, camo first then the whitewash. The dirt effect on the schurtzen is................... wait for it........... the wife's make up. It's brown eye shadow, thought i'd get it a go and it worked great. And if you look at it right it looks frosty too.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Is this what is called 'splinter cammo.' ?
Thanks Ron, it's is splinter camo. I seen the photo and liked it and had to model it. Thanks for the Tee shirt too.

Have fun, John

D

dubster72

Excellent stuff! I'd try my better half's makeup but she'd kill me if she found out! Good brushwork then John, you got some very straight lines-mine would have ended up like spagetti!

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
absolutely fantastic stuff john, well done its making me feel cold already,loving the trees too. Only one thing bothers me,he wants to get a scarf on he'll catch his death !!!!poor bugger. once again top work! (ps is that my bucket!!??) cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Cheers Tony. I don't know about the bucket, i put the camo on and the next morning the tank was whitewash. The bucket was sat at the side of the tank with white paint in. But who ever did it have made a mistake, any of you spotted it yet?

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Cheers Tony. I don't know about the bucket, i put the camo on and the next morning the tank was whitewash. The bucket was sat at the side of the tank with white paint in. But who ever did it have made a mistake, any of you spotted it yet?John
Er, the cammo inverted 'v' has been chopped off on the front armour....perhaps!!!

Do I get the coconut John ?

Ron

P

Paul1978

Top class work John! I love it. And especially the bucket :smiling3:

How did you do the snow effects on the ground?

Cheers

Paul

B

beav1013

my knowledge isn't that deep on the matter, but pretty sure i never saw a paint job/camo scheme like that, it's very unique and you pulled it off amazingly. it's definitely eye catching and i think the snow buildup on the tank is very realistic. great job.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Er, the cammo inverted 'v' has been chopped off on the front armour....perhaps!!!Do I get the coconut John ?

Ron
No I don't....I've just spotted it's like that on the actual Panther photo.

Don't you just love observation games?!

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Top class work John! I love it. And especially the bucket :smiling3: How did you do the snow effects on the ground?

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul,

Bicarbonate of soda or baking powder, i asked Patrick (dubster72) on how he did his snow. Just pva where you want it and sprinkle on baking powder but, i painted the ground white because i wanted it to look like no one has been down the street for a while.

John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
my knowledge isn't that deep on the matter, but pretty sure i never saw a paint job/camo scheme like that, it's very unique and you pulled it off amazingly. it's definitely eye catching and i think the snow buildup on the tank is very realistic. great job.
Thanks bud, i do like the unusual and this one was perfect so i could have a go at snow for the first time.

John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
No I don't....I've just spotted it's like that on the actual Panther photo.Don't you just love observation games?!

Ron
It's the bucket, it's on the tow cable so they have to take the cable off before they can use the bucket.

Shown me Dad and he pointed that out, i just said they was in a rush.

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
It's the bucket, it's on the tow cable so they have to take the cable off before they can use the bucket.Shown me Dad and he pointed that out, i just said they was in a rush.

John
Sorry John but tell your dad he's wrong!

In late 1944 a certain Panther commander, Lt. Ilaver Grunhalle invented the quick release bucket handle. This was found to be neccessary because if caught short, members of his crew would not be able to use the bucket in time, causing very unsavoury conditions aboard the tank on the individual's return...

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Sorry John but tell your dad he's wrong!In late 1944 a certain Panther commander, Lt. Ilaver Grunhalle invented the quick release bucket handle. This was found to be neccessary because if caught short, members of his crew would not be able to use the bucket in time, causing very unsavoury conditions aboard the tank on the individual's return...

Ron
Me Dads problem was he never used a bucket, he used a spade and buried it. Yes, he was a tank driver, driving the Centurion (hence my name). Was having a conversation today about 'buckets', so i said the Centurion never had one and he just went up in the air. It was a nice place to be when i said the Cent was the "bucket", but he know's i was just having some fun

John